I propose a new second amendment law

Shooting targets, and making sure we never have to give a shit ever again about what Canada or England has to say.
Any answer from you is better than just offering you another nice free ice cream cone!

Shooting human silouette targets would have been the answer that would get you the ice cream cone too!

Well, since males are less than 50 percent of the population and nearly 100 percent of all mass shooters are male, we should start by banning males from owning guns. They are killing people WAAAAAAAY out of proportion to their demographic!
just one of the perks from being the creator of all the man made items that we love and cherish so much,,

Any ideas of this sort will be seen as an attack on the 2nd. amendment.
It seems that the NRA folks, et al. won't be happy until everyone, in bars, churches, classrooms, sunday school, beaches, parades, halls of congress, parks, restaurants, bingo games and PTA meets adorn their bodies with AR-15s with two 200 round affixed to their mid regions. Now, some will see that as an exaggeration, but it's the gist of it that's my message i.e, the direction that the gun guys and gals seem to be heading.
There's nothing that can be done, but don't give up. I suggest you think of the root cause of gun violence and mass shootings in America. a culture of continuous wars.

As long as Republicans can filibuster in the Senate, and they control the house, no, nothing can be done. That might change in 2024, we shall see. No, it's not 'culture' it's public safety.

It seems that the NRA folks, et al. won't be happy until everyone, in bars, churches, classrooms, sunday school, beaches, parades, halls of congress, parks, restaurants, bingo games and PTA meets adorn their bodies with AR-15s with two 200 round affixed to their mid regions. Now, some will see that as an exaggeration, but it's the gist of it that's my message i.e, the direction that the gun guys and gals seem to be heading.

As long as Republicans can filibuster in the Senate, and they control the house, no, nothing can be done. That might change in 2024, we shall see. No, it's not 'culture' it's public safety.
one flaw in your idea is its a right and no law can change that,,

The only way to stop mass shootings is the inevitable, and everyone kinows what that is. Every time it's nothing but talk and zero action.

You've avoided mentioning the 'culture' of wars and violence. A few mass shootings back, Michael Moore mentioned it too and it was ignored by MSNBC's talking head.

He also included it as one of the themes in his 'Bowling for Columbine' award winning documentary.

The side that is in favour of gun control know about the idea but can't follow up on it because it would place the blame on themselves as well as the pro-gun death side.

Can you do it?

Would you like to be the one that explodes all of the lying of the pro-gun side?

The only way to stop mass shootings is the inevitable, and everyone kinows what that is. Every time it's nothing but talk and zero action.
No, it's not inevitable.

What is inevitable is the refusal of America to accept the fact that its citizens live in a 'culture' of war and using guns to kill other people.

Any answer from you is better than just offering you another nice free ice cream cone!

Shooting human silouette targets would have been the answer that would get you the ice cream cone too!

I see you and Joe share the dementia patient's common obsession with ice cream.

AP_98804163671-640x480.jpg

LMAO, that is the origination of gun control. When Black Panthers starting open carrying in California old Ronald Reagan suddenly became all about gun control. Every black American should have a pistol on their side, and every Hispanic American should have a rifle on a sling over their back and a bandolier running across their chest. Every LGBTQ should be open carry.
Actually you are wrong. Gun control in the USA started in the thirties when gangsters were using automatic weapons like Thompson sub-machine guns and Browning Automatic Rifles to kill each other and civilians were getting caught in the crossfire.
As for the Black Panthers, they were and are a violent para-military group.

You said it that the drugs help control the bad urges of people who need the drugs. What is a much better idea is that if their psychiatrist gets a message from their patients that they are suicidal and/or going to commit a crime, they must notify the police and the police must go to the house and search for guns and remove them.
Good idea. I support it. And if knowledgeable people, such as parents, psychiatrists, etc., fail to report such a person, then what?

Also, they would then be placed on a no purchase of guns for the background checks.
Good.
The fallacy is that this will stop school and work place violence and killings.
Well, no anti-crime laws 'stop crime', the best they can do is, once in a while, save a life, but that's the crux of the argument.
Is the burden placed on law abiding citizens bearable enough that saving that life is worth it?
That is the question that must be confronted and answered.
There are other ways to do more damage than the guns. We need less IRS agents
IRS agents bring revenue to the government, which the government needs ot pay bills. Without them, deficits rise, and more inflation results. We need the right amount of IRS agents to get the job done so that the existing agents aren't overworked.
and more mental hospitals built back up again. I
I agree on that point.
Reagan was a great President but hurt California by getting rid of mental hospitals.
Indeed he did, and resulted in an increase in the homeless population.
I believe it was through his transition from being a Democrat to becoming a conservative Republican that he did that.
You are correct. Thank you for your thoughtful contribution to this thread.

one flaw in your idea is its a right and no law can change that,,
Not a flaw, unless you are alleging the Supreme Court is flawed ,as it is they who ruled that no right is absolute, and such rights are subject to regulation within court specified constraints and/or constitutional constraints, which may vary, depending on the case ruled on.

No, it's not inevitable.

What is inevitable is the refusal of America to accept the fact that its citizens live in a 'culture' of war and using guns to kill other people.
Nope and you missed it completely. Nothing but talk.

Not a flaw, unless you are alleging the Supreme Court is flawed ,as it is they who ruled that no right is absolute, and such rights are subject to regulation within court specified constraints and/or constitutional constraints, which may vary, depending on the case ruled on.
again a flawed idea,,

SCOTUS doesnt make laws,,,

I suspect you are alluding an outright gun ban. Unfortunately, when you are up to your ass in alligators, you'll have a tough time trying to drain the swamp. In other words, not a realistic possibility in a country so entrenched in a gun culture as America is.

I propose a law (if there isn't one, already, state or federal): If an individual is perscribed one or more psychotropic drugs which,, and it is for more than 7 days, that individual forfeits their right to own firearms until he or she is safely taken off such drugs, and pass a probationary period of 6 months.

Now, I realize the drugs are (I would imagine) supposed to restore an individual to some form of normalcy, but I"m addressing the underlying reason the drug was perscribed and proposing the law as a precautionary measure aligned with public safety, the concern of which is paramount.

Agree or disagree?

Agree in principle, but stipulate the terms? If so, what do you suggest?

Also since I'm not an expert on the subject, I will be happy to listen to the issue of perhaps it depends on the drugs and what it was perscribed for, and adjust the law accordingly, I welcome feedback on that point.

All that will do is to stop people from getting treatment. If some clown will lose his guns if he takes a pill, he won’t take the pill.

funny since I have owned guns for decades and never had an impulse to kill anyone,,,
Neither have 200 million other gun owners.

However, we can agree that thousands of others didn't resist the impulse. They would have started with human silouette targets that should have signalled their intention of being able to kill people.

Some in one of the many US wars that were always available, and some would become mass shooters.

Would you like to go hunting for a progressive?

A good answer could get you that attention you're needing!

Forum List

Back