I may have gotten the impeachment thing all wrong

I’ve been pretty outspoken on how bad of an idea I thought this impeachment move would be for our government and our country. I saw the transition from the House to the Republican controlled Senate bringing a change in focus from Trumps actions to Biden corruption. It doesn’t appear that the Republicans are taking that route. I’ve seen the conservative media blitz working overtime on Biden corruption trying to shine the spotlight on that narrative, that tactic is in full swing, but in the capitol it looks like a race to dismissal.

It was rather astonishing to listen to the Republicans dismiss amendment after amendment after clear documentation and witnesses were presented that would add direct supporting material to the accusations.

It is very clear that the Republicans are not interested in finding the truth, seeing the facts, or even allowing the Dems to use the facts to present their case. They seem to just want to defend the president and dismiss the case. It stinks to high heaven and coming from somebody who doesn’t think Trump should be impeached I will say this path that Trump and the Reps are going down is looking more and more like a dirty cover up. When I first heard the Dems use that term it sounded like political hyperbole... After day 1 it’s sounding pretty spot on

Seems an innocent person would want the evidence to exonerate him.

I believe this will backfire on the republican senators at the polls.

in this country its the job of the prosecution to prove guilt, not the accused to prove innocence,,,

not sure how you do it in your country,,,
yet in most every trial I’ve heard of the defense calls witnesses and produces documents to counter the charges filed against them, do they not?

I don’t need to abandon anything. You made a horrible point. Executive priv gets enforced to questions and documents that cross that line. It does not get used to completely ignore subpoenas.
The only thing about my point that is 'horrible' is the fact that you don't like that I pointed out how Barry used the same Executive Privilege when he ordered then US AG Holder to refuse to release documents regarding Fast and Furious, that Democrats and snowflakes defended that use of Executive Privilege, but now you bitch and whine about it because this time it doe NOT benefit the Democrats.

Forget 'Executive Privilege' and the House Impeachment Manager's demand for more 'fishing' for something that MIGHT exist - it is all irrelevant and a complete distraction...

The House voted to Impeach the US President based on their already existing case - existing information they had / have. The U Senate is now asking the Democrats / House to present THAT case, THAT information - the case / information that was their foundation / justification for Impeaching the President.

THAT case, THAT evidence either warrants / justifies Impeachment or it does NOT.

WHY are the House Democrats refusing to present THAT case, THAT information?

I’ve been pretty outspoken on how bad of an idea I thought this impeachment move would be for our government and our country. I saw the transition from the House to the Republican controlled Senate bringing a change in focus from Trumps actions to Biden corruption. It doesn’t appear that the Republicans are taking that route. I’ve seen the conservative media blitz working overtime on Biden corruption trying to shine the spotlight on that narrative, that tactic is in full swing, but in the capitol it looks like a race to dismissal.

It was rather astonishing to listen to the Republicans dismiss amendment after amendment after clear documentation and witnesses were presented that would add direct supporting material to the accusations.

It is very clear that the Republicans are not interested in finding the truth, seeing the facts, or even allowing the Dems to use the facts to present their case. They seem to just want to defend the president and dismiss the case. It stinks to high heaven and coming from somebody who doesn’t think Trump should be impeached I will say this path that Trump and the Reps are going down is looking more and more like a dirty cover up. When I first heard the Dems use that term it sounded like political hyperbole... After day 1 it’s sounding pretty spot on

Nice try. Prior posts expose you as a biased Leftist. You're also probably a bandwagon 49ers fan. Loser.
i love it when ignorant trolls act so sure of themselves as they peddle out completely false information. Thanks for the laugh

in this country its the job of the prosecution to prove guilt, not the accused to prove innocence,,,

yet in most every trial I’ve heard of the defense calls witnesses and produces documents to counter the charges filed against them, do they not?

Wrong analogy. The trial was held. The prosecution concluded it's case. The judge ordered the jury to deliberate the case. The prosecutor can't barge into the jury room and say "I have more witnesses!!! I have more witnesses!!"

• Thanks
Reactions: DBA
Oh P-shaw!

We already know that Trump puts ketchup on his welldone steak, has two scoops of vanilla ice cream, and gets to use larger Salt and Pepper shakers than everyone else.

We don't really need to tie up the entire legislative branch to publicize these Trumpian Character "Flaws".
I agree, but that’s not at all what I’m talking about

It appears that what you are saying is that although the Dems completely disregarded the concepts of fairness, due process, representation, and the right to confront one's accuser in the House Farce, it's somehow reprehensible that McConnell wants to use basically the same rules as used for the Clinton impeachment and to not have the House takeover the Senate.

There were witnesses in the Clinton impeachment.

We just cut their nuts off and stuff them down their throats.

There were 3 witnesses in the Clinton trial, all 3 had already testified in front of the House and were called for clarification of that testimony.

All 3 were done behind closed doors, and the only info made public were excerpts chosen by the Dimwingers running the trial.

Not always. When the case is so weak they often just rest their case without a defense. The House Clowns have no case, so Trump may not have to do anything.

I'm sorry that 3 years of false accusations by Democrats refuted by 6 inquiries that the Democrats billed American taxpayers and voters for, failed to get your attention, Mr. or Ms. Slade.

There hasn't been any false accusations. There has been blocked witnesses from testifying who would have changed this situation.

Nice try. Prior posts expose you as a biased Leftist. You're also probably a bandwagon 49ers fan. Loser.
i love it when ignorant trolls act so sure of themselves as they peddle out completely false information. Thanks for the laugh
They were impeaching him 2 years before the election. And long before the Ukraine smear.

The evidence is overwhelming. Let's vote to impeach.

Later in the senate:

We need more evidence because we don't have enough.

YCMTSU.
That’s not what I’m hearing... they think they have enough. But they also want more, why wouldn’t they want more?. They want the stuff Trump blocked them from getting. Can you blame them?

Yes I can. EVERY president we've had has blocked congress from shit they wanted. Executive Privilege. Look it up. They could have gone to court and the court decides what witnesses/documents Trump's administration has to give up. But they're in a fucking hurry because ELECTION! If he gets elected, they know they are fucked for another 4 years.

They said the evidence was OVERWHELMING. Why would they need more. Look up the definition of OVERWHELM. I posted it above. Go read it. They impeached him based on the evidence they gathered. That should be MORE than enough. They are looking for discovery in a trial. They should have done all of the discovery in the inquiry in the house. That's ass backwards and it's only because more shit keeps coming forward. Kinda like the Kavanaugh confirmation hearing. Dribble, dribble, dribble. They figured they could get around the courts by having the Senate do the job of the house and that's BULLSHIT.

Don't be fooled so easily. Look at it objectively.

Trump wasn't even allowed to defend himself in the House Impeachment Inquiry. Why should he give up anyFUCKINGthing.

Would you participate in your own impeachment if YOU couldn't defend yourself?
You’ve got to be joking!! Yes all presidents invoke privilege, as they should, but none have even come close to what Trump is doing. We aren’t talking about private strategy meetings or national security issues. We are talking about state department business, transcripts, complaints made by staffers to attorneys and a slew of other relevant pieces to this situation.

Not always. When the case is so weak they often just rest their case without a defense. The House Clowns have no case, so Trump may not have to do anything.

Why is trump blocking witnesses?

And the Senate IS having a trial, but they are not about to allow the Democrats tell them how to proceed with one or extend their clown show with the House. You wanted an impeachment trial, then here it is. If you don't like how they are conducting it, then it's only fair because we didn't like how they conducted their inquiry.
why do you think it’s a clown show to see documents showing direct communication and witnesses who had direct access to trumps directives? Wouldn’t that clear Trump if he did nothing wrong?
The charge of abuse of power rests on the claim that the President wanted the investigation of the Bidens to advance his chances for reelection, so the only relevant witnesses or documents would have to directly show that was his motivation and clearly, the House was unable to find and such witnesses or documents so all the fuss the Democrats are making is just to extend their political stunt to advance their own political interests.
I agree that the Dems messed up emphasizing the “political interest”point. It’s very hard to prove intent, even when it’s obvious. There should be a process to follow when working with foreign countries to investigate political rivals. If that system isn’t in place then it needs to be set up. If it is in place and Trump didn’t follow it then he should be held accountable. He held up funds to progress this investigation agenda, that was deemed illegal. He used his personal attorney instead of regular channels to pursue his agenda, there could be something wrong there too. And he’s blocked information and spread false narratives in the aftermath which is not OK. There’s a lot of crap there

Trump didn't ever say he held up funds for the investigation. The Democrats made that up. Trump said he held up aid to investigate what other members of the UN were contributing. But don't listen to Trump, listen to what the Democrats concluded because Democrats can read minds. Forget about what Trump said.

Yup. He did what all presidents do. He looked into where OUR hard earned money was going and who else was contributing.

This whole thing is a giant shit show that's going to bite the Dem House in the ass.

And people are too trusting of the Democrats and don't realize they're being played for suckers.

This impeachment is bogus, and the Democrats know it. Their only recourse is to try and make Republicans look bad. So their first shot was insisting that the amendments for witnesses be held before the opening arguments, which they knew right from the beginning the Republicans would reject. Most of these people were lawyers, they know there is no court proceeding where you do that. You start off with opening arguments, then perhaps call the witnesses if there are any.

Now if the Republicans did allow them to call witnesses, then their next trick would be a tradeoff with the Republicans. After the tradeoff, the Democrats would be running up to Roberts to rule that the witnesses called by Republicans were irrelevant to the case. It's a long shot, but that's what they were going to try. Then it would end up a continuation of the inquiry, where it would be one sided, and they can fling around all the mud they wanted.

Mitch wasn't about to fall into the trap. He knows what these underhanded people are like.

They were impeaching him 2 years before the election. And long before the Ukraine smear.

Please stop lying.

The house did an inquiry. The senate is responsible for having a trial. Two very different things and as I just said. Two wrongs, don’t make a right

And the Senate IS having a trial, but they are not about to allow the Democrats tell them how to proceed with one or extend their clown show with the House. You wanted an impeachment trial, then here it is. If you don't like how they are conducting it, then it's only fair because we didn't like how they conducted their inquiry.
why do you think it’s a clown show to see documents showing direct communication and witnesses who had direct access to trumps directives? Wouldn’t that clear Trump if he did nothing wrong?
The charge of abuse of power rests on the claim that the President wanted the investigation of the Bidens to advance his chances for reelection, so the only relevant witnesses or documents would have to directly show that was his motivation and clearly, the House was unable to find and such witnesses or documents so all the fuss the Democrats are making is just to extend their political stunt to advance their own political interests.
I agree that the Dems messed up emphasizing the “political interest”point. It’s very hard to prove intent, even when it’s obvious. There should be a process to follow when working with foreign countries to investigate political rivals. If that system isn’t in place then it needs to be set up. If it is in place and Trump didn’t follow it then he should be held accountable. He held up funds to progress this investigation agenda, that was deemed illegal. He used his personal attorney instead of regular channels to pursue his agenda, there could be something wrong there too. And he’s blocked information and spread false narratives in the aftermath which is not OK. There’s a lot of crap there

Trump didn't ever say he held up funds for the investigation. The Democrats made that up. Trump said he held up aid to investigate what other members of the UN were contributing. But don't listen to Trump, listen to what the Democrats concluded because Democrats can read minds. Forget about what Trump said.
Wrong. The Dems didn’t make that up. Trumps own staffers who were in charge of the funds and relations with Ukraine testified to that. I also think you know it’s true, I would push to hard with the Trump never said it argument. We all know the intel he is blocking solidifies what he did and why. It’s going to come out eventually

Yup. He did what all presidents do. He looked into where OUR hard earned money was going and who else was contributing.

This whole thing is a giant shit show that's going to bite the Dem House in the ass.

And people are too trusting of the Democrats and don't realize they're being played for suckers.

This impeachment is bogus, and the Democrats know it. Their only recourse is to try and make Republicans look bad. So their first shot was insisting that the amendments for witnesses be held before the opening arguments, which they knew right from the beginning the Republicans would reject. Most of these people were lawyers, they know there is no court proceeding where you do that. You start off with opening arguments, then perhaps call the witnesses if there are any.

Now if the Republicans did allow them to call witnesses, then their next trick would be a tradeoff with the Republicans. After the tradeoff, the Democrats would be running up to Roberts to rule that the witnesses called by Republicans were irrelevant to the case. It's a long shot, but that's what they were going to try. Then it would end up a continuation of the inquiry, where it would be one sided, and they can fling around all the mud they wanted.

Mitch wasn't about to fall into the trap. He knows what these underhanded people are like.

BS.

Later in the senate:

YCMTSU.
That’s not what I’m hearing... they think they have enough. But they also want more, why wouldn’t they want more?. They want the stuff Trump blocked them from getting. Can you blame them?

Yes I can. EVERY president we've had has blocked congress from shit they wanted. Executive Privilege. Look it up. They could have gone to court and the court decides what witnesses/documents Trump's administration has to give up. But they're in a fucking hurry because ELECTION! If he gets elected, they know they are fucked for another 4 years.

They said the evidence was OVERWHELMING. Why would they need more. Look up the definition of OVERWHELM. I posted it above. Go read it. They impeached him based on the evidence they gathered. That should be MORE than enough. They are looking for discovery in a trial. They should have done all of the discovery in the inquiry in the house. That's ass backwards and it's only because more shit keeps coming forward. Kinda like the Kavanaugh confirmation hearing. Dribble, dribble, dribble. They figured they could get around the courts by having the Senate do the job of the house and that's BULLSHIT.

Trump wasn't even allowed to defend himself in the House Impeachment Inquiry. Why should he give up anyFUCKINGthing.

You’ve got to be joking!! Yes all presidents invoke privilege, as they should, but none have even come close to what Trump is doing. We aren’t talking about private strategy meetings or national security issues. We are talking about state department business, transcripts, complaints made by staffers to attornens and a slew of other relevant pieces to this situation.

Sigh...

Don't be duped. There is a process to get relevant data. You have to use the court system. That's the way it works and for good reason. Otherwise the only branch of Government that would count is Congress. They would (and they often do) abuse the subpoena process.

Wake the fuck up.

Why is trump blocking witnesses?
To preserve Executive Privilege, for starters.

Why didn't the House Clowns take him to court?

The amendments were designed to drag the process out as far as possible, add new charges not part of the articles, and basically make the whole thing a shit show. If they allowed one side to bring in new evidence, they would have opened a floodgate.

The House was supposed to make it's case via the articles themselves, not with added bullshit afterwards.

Yup. It was up to the House to make the case, not the Senate. If the House didn't do its job then to bad.
Nobody is asking the senate to make the case. That’s up to the house managers to do. They just want permission to access and present all evidence during the trial

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

Later in the senate:

YCMTSU.

You’ve got to be joking!! Yes all presidents invoke privilege, as they should, but none have even come close to what Trump is doing. We aren’t talking about private strategy meetings or national security issues. We are talking about state department business, transcripts, complaints made by staffers to attorneys and a slew of other relevant pieces to this situation.

What are you talking about? DumBama did it during Fast and Furious. He refused to surrender subpoenaed documents to the Republican House.

It would take years to work the the courts because Trump is using our money to fight them all the way to the Supreme court.

DON mcghan was subpoenaed in April, regarding the President obstruction in the Mueller report.... all the courts through circuit, Appeals have ruled he has to show up and answer to congress.... So now Trump is appealing that and asking the SC to hear it, which is another half year wait.

Haven't you ever heard of the saying...

They or he, is trying to tie it up, in the courts?

That's what he has been doing, with every thing.... his tax returns is another example....

It's stonewalling.

Justice delayed, is justice denied.... And that is what the Trump team, is trying to do.

Yes, exactly. You got to marvel at the lengths some would go to keep under wraps exculpatory evidence demonstrating their "perfect" innocence.

Forum List

Back