Zone1 I hate to say this but I think many people are guilty of (or on their way to) the "unforgivable sin"

1miseryindex

Platinum Member
Nov 17, 2023
USA
This is known as the sin against the Holy Spirit. If the HS tells you something, you obviously should listen (assuming you care at all about your salvation).

When people hear the Truth and they shut their ears to it.... Maybe they commit or are their way to committing the unforgivable sin?

When Jesus used that terminology (Matthew, I believe), He was rebuking people who had just witnessed one of His miracles, yet they accused Him of being possessed by the devil! It's kind of like how liberals always accuse Republicans of what THEY are guilty of.

Jesus saw people's souls, the true condition thereof. You cannot hide anything from Jesus, like you try to hide your worst defects from humans.

He warned about blasphemy of the HS: These people KNEW Jesus was God, knew that only someone from God could do the miracles He did. The blasphemy was in LYING in the Presence of the Holy Spirit (in accusing Jesus of being possessed). Also, they did this PUBLICLY (rejected Him)

The Catholic Church has always taught (God knows what Francis teaches on this! I myself do NOT care) that the only unforgivable sin is to reject Christ and HIs forgiveness until the very end. He didn't say (that we know of) that those people HAD committed that sin. No, He was just warning them about where they were headed, although this last sentence is just my own thought, not speaking for what the official Church would necessarily say.

Last edited:
that is known as the sin against the Holy Spirit. If the HS tells you something, you obviously should listen (assuming you care at all about your salvation).

When people hear the Truth and they shut their ears to it.... Maybe they commit the unforgivable sin?

When Jesus used that terminology, He was rebuking people who had just witnessed one of His miracles, yet they accused Him of being possessed by the devil (kind of like how liberals always accuse Republicans of what THEY are doing).
I thought the unforgivable sin was murdering yourself, suicide as you are dead and cannot be forgiven.

I thought the unforgivable sin was murdering yourself, suicide as you are dead and cannot be forgiven.
Well, that is not what the Catholic Church has ever taught and I don't recall any other non-Catholic "church" teaching it either.

The CC did at one time say that those who commit suicide commit a mortal sin and cannot enter Heaven but they modified that by saying that one can never say "where a person is at" at death, meaning the person could repent at the very last minute of life.

Well, that is not what the Catholic Church has ever taught and I don't recall any other non-Catholic "church" teaching it either.

The CC did at one time say that those who commit suicide commit a mortal sin and cannot enter Heaven but they modified that by saying that one can never say "where a person is at" at death, meaning the person could repent at the very last minute of life.
Hmmmm. Convenient.

No...It's close because murder is next to denying the Holy Ghost. But, there is repentance available for murderers. Like King David.

This is known as the sin against the Holy Spirit. If the HS tells you something, you obviously should listen (assuming you care at all about your salvation).

When people hear the Truth and they shut their ears to it.... Maybe they commit or are their way to committing the unforgivable sin?

When Jesus used that terminology (Matthew, I believe), He was rebuking people who had just witnessed one of His miracles, yet they accused Him of being possessed by the devil! It's kind of like how liberals always accuse Republicans of what THEY are guilty of.

Jesus saw people's souls, the true condition thereof. You cannot hide anything from Jesus, like you try to hide your worst defects from humans.

He warned about blasphemy of the HS: These people KNEW Jesus was God, knew that only someone from God could do the miracles He did. The blasphemy was in LYING in the Presence of the Holy Spirit (in accusing Jesus of being possessed). Also, they did this PUBLICLY (rejected Him)

The Catholic Church has always taught (God knows what Francis teaches on this! I myself do NOT care) that the only unforgivable sin is to reject Christ and HIs forgiveness until the very end. He didn't say (that we know of) that those people HAD committed that sin. No, He was just warning them about where they were headed, although this last sentence is just my own thought, not speaking for what the official Church would necessarily say.
Denying the Holy Ghost is denying the Christ when it's totally obvious. Such as at the judgment seat where Father in Heaven shows Jesus Christ as his Son as our Savior and Redeemer and a person denies it. We can pretty close to this in this life but unless you've had a vision and now for sure Jesus is the Christ, then you haven't gone all the way. There is still hope.

Nowhere in the Bible does it call suicide the unforgivable sin...
and people are wrong to claim the Catholic Church once taught that it is. It is a mortal sin and all mortal sin not repented of leads one to Hell, but that's not the same thing. Who knows who has repented at the very end anyway?

Forum List

Back