I had the second cup of coffee in my life, for some reason it doesn't taste as bad as in the past

Tbh, McDonalds coffee isn't bad at all. I prefer it to Dunkin or any other drive through places I've tried. My gas station's 60 cents cheaper, but I'll spend it for McD's. No Starbucks within 100 miles, so I've never had it. All the stuff you can add sounds like why people like it. Except for a little good fresh cinnamon once in awhile, I don't want anything in my coffee but a touch of half and half.
McDonalds coffee is much better than Starbucks. It isn't even close. :thup:
Burger King's is brown water. There are Burger King's on the NY thruway, and I've made that mistake.
OMG - and BK has the WORST iced tea in the world. I don't know what they do that is so different than everyone else... but man is it bad. And McDonalds tea is pretty decent to. And ironically, Starbucks iced tea is really good. Which is funny of course considering how bad their black coffee is.

Kona. Kona. Kona. Not that blend crap either.

You also have to have two types of coffee on hand: something good/decent for company/everyday drinking and the extra special expensive hard to get kind for yourself.

Well, there--hopefully we've made another addict--our work today is done!
Kick your shoes off and sit a spell. Pig in the ground and beer on ice.
Sounds wonderful!
From a Hank Williams Jr. song but Miss Mississippi is not coming over tonight.
Shoot. And I was packing up the car!
I could use female help dealing with other females, I'm too countryfied.

Well, there--hopefully we've made another addict--our work today is done!
Kick your shoes off and sit a spell. Pig in the ground and beer on ice.
Sounds wonderful!
From a Hank Williams Jr. song but Miss Mississippi is not coming over tonight.
Shoot. And I was packing up the car!
I could use female help dealing with other females, I'm too countryfied.
Shy? Or maybe you should take down that coyote carcas you've got hanging by your front door? Just guessing.

I've also had the odd sip or two in my life as both my parents drink coffee, but I've only really had one full cup of coffee before today. I've always disliked it immensely, even with cream and sugar.

Today I decided to stop my tea for a bit and try some coffee, black, as I've read some promising information about the health effects. It was surprisingly smooth (columbian beans) and I was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed it.

So now that I am going to try this out, for any of the coffee connoisseurs here, any recommendations?
The preferred coffee I brew in a perculator, it's 50's style. Strong and black just like I like my women.
Percolators make the best! Unless you make that French Press stuff. That's awesome. I would never go to all that trouble first thing in the morning BEFORE my coffee, though.

You really shouldnt use a percolator.
Ideal temp is 195 to 205 percolators reach 212,the boiling point.

I've also had the odd sip or two in my life as both my parents drink coffee, but I've only really had one full cup of coffee before today. I've always disliked it immensely, even with cream and sugar.

Today I decided to stop my tea for a bit and try some coffee, black, as I've read some promising information about the health effects. It was surprisingly smooth (columbian beans) and I was pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed it.

So now that I am going to try this out, for any of the coffee connoisseurs here, any recommendations?
Get a little grinder, buy whole beans and grind it fresh each time you make a pot. Get a carafe to keep the rest of the pot hot. Nothing is worse than burnt coffee from sitting on a hotplate for an hour. Try a little cinnamon in it for a change. Awesome. You don't really have to spend nose bleed prices for a decent cuppa.
Honesty - get a burr grinder. Small blade grinders are very inefficient. You can always see pieces of beans of all different sizes even with the best blade grinders. In the end you can use 20% less coffee beans to make the same cup strength than a blade grinder simply due to burr grinders consistent grind.
My friend in Florida uses a popcorn popper to roast the beans and said it works great.

I've heard that myself.
As long as you can hear the beans I dont see why it wouldnt work as long as your corn popper stired the beans for even heating.

Get a little grinder, buy whole beans and grind it fresh each time you make a pot. Get a carafe to keep the rest of the pot hot. Nothing is worse than burnt coffee from sitting on a hotplate for an hour. Try a little cinnamon in it for a change. Awesome. You don't really have to spend nose bleed prices for a decent cuppa.
Honesty - get a burr grinder. Small blade grinders are very inefficient. You can always see pieces of beans of all different sizes even with the best blade grinders. In the end you can use 20% less coffee beans to make the same cup strength than a blade grinder simply due to burr grinders consistent grind.
Never heard of such a thing.

They make a huge difference but they're a bit pricey at around $500 bucks.
This is at the low end of top quality grinders and it does a great job for coffee or espresso.
In fact if you're going to make espresso you have to have one.

1622143384987.png

The preferred coffee I brew in a perculator, it's 50's style. Strong and black just like I like my women.
Percolators make the best! Unless you make that French Press stuff. That's awesome. I would never go to all that trouble first thing in the morning BEFORE my coffee, though.

Maybe that slight bit of almost burnt is what makes it so good. And it's stronger. It also spreads that good coffee smell around the kitchen better. I don't use one anymore--they're not easy to find and expensive--but I did stubbornly hold onto one for a long time.

Maybe that slight bit of almost burnt is what makes it so good. And it's stronger. It also spreads that good coffee smell around the kitchen better. I don't use one anymore--they're not easy to find and expensive--but I did stubbornly hold onto one for a long time.

There's a reason why very few people still use them.
I won't even use one camping anymore instead I use the pour over method which is basically a drip coffee maker. All you need is the cone filter holder,a filter and an extra large mug and it makes clean up a snap.
Toss the filter and rinse the cone filter holder.

I won't even use one camping anymore instead I use the pour over method which is basically a drip coffee maker. All you need is the cone filter holder,a filter and an extra large mug and it makes clean up a snap.
Can you do that with regular grind coffee?

Of course.
Most drip coffee makers come with a drop in cone filter thats metal that way you dont even need a paper filter,I dont reccomend that because the paper filter removes the bitter oils that come off the coffee grounds..
You just take the metal cone and ad a paper filter set it in the mouth of your large mug and pour the hot water over it.
Kinda like this........
1622317398748.png

I set mine in the insulated mug I plan on drinking my coffee from and pour the hot water over the grounds.
It's a good idea to pour slowly.
The whole process takes a minute or so,quick and easy.
If you want to know how fresh your coffee is pour just enough water to soak the grounds,if it foams you know you have fresh coffee.
Thats the gasses being released from the grounds....no foam or bubbles means old coffee.

Of course.
Most drip coffee makers come with a drop in cone filter thats metal that way you dont even need a paper filter,I dont reccomend that because the paper filter removes the bitter oils that come off the coffee grounds..
You just take the metal cone and ad a paper filter set it in the mouth of your large mug and pour the hot water over it.
Kinda like this........
View attachment 495043
I set mine in the insulated mug I plan on drinking my coffee from and pour the hot water over the grounds.
If you want to know how fresh your coffee is pour just enough water to soak the grounds,if it foams you know you have fresh coffee.
Thats the gasses being released from the grounds....no foam or bubbles means old coffee.
Well, that beats lugging my Mr. Coffee with me and plugging it in in the ladies shower room, except I'd have to start a fire to heat the water. I'm scared to death of gas, won't touch a Coleman stove. I wake early and I WILL have coffee, or all around me share my miserableness. There's nothing that sets me to swearing like a bunch of kindling that will NOT stay lit before I've had my coffee. Afterwards, I'm the sweetest old lady you'd ever want to meet.

Of course.
Kinda like this........
View attachment 495043
Well, that beats lugging my Mr. Coffee with me and plugging it in in the ladies shower room, except I'd have to start a fire to heat the water. I'm scared to death of gas, won't touch a Coleman stove. I wake early and I WILL have coffee, or all around me share my miserableness. There's nothing that sets me to swearing like a bunch of kindling that will NOT stay lit before I've had my coffee. Afterwards, I'm the sweetest old lady you'd ever want to meet.

Come on now....a single burner Coleman stove is simple to operate.
All you need is a match.
1622328586558.png

Of course.
Kinda like this........
View attachment 495043

I'll admit these day I bring my Honda 2200 Generator to power my Keurig.
It makes things even easier when camping.

1622329172555.png
1622329001993.png

Of course.
Kinda like this........
View attachment 495043

I'll admit these day I bring my Honda 2200 Generator to power my Keurig.
It makes things even easier when camping.

View attachment 495189View attachment 495188
What makes the generator work? A battery?

Forum List

Back