I don't get boxing....

..I'm not anti violence either. In fact, my problem with boxing is there is not enough punching. It's frustrating waiting for a decent punch, and half the time they are hugging each other. What a bore!
The ancient Greeks invented boxing for their early Olympic Games.

It has become a form of handicapped combat with fists only.

No head butting, no elbows, no feet or knees, etc.

It is a very artificial fighting sport.

Whereas MMA is perfect with no holds barred.

Not true. MMA has specific rules also.

Whereas MMA is perfect with no holds barred.

Actually MMA has put in a LOT of rules since it's start. Ones for safety that limit what fighters can do, and ones that pick up the pace of the sport. Ones to make it less of a ground and pound sport and give it more standup (Severn, Gracie, Taktarov, Shamrock, etc with bouts that spend 30 minutes on the ground are no longer reality due to new rules. I do like Boxing and MMA, but haven't watched much of either lately.

I enjoyed watching the Klitchko's fight those guys jabs hit people like crosses. The only way to pull off a win against them was swing for the fences. I actually really got into the light welterweight/welterweight boxing classes. I thought they had the best combinations of speed and power. Back about 10-15 years ago when Kosta Tszyu, Ricky Hatton, Ward, Gotti, Sharmba Mitchell, mid career prime Floyd, Jesse James Leija, Collazo, Malignaggi, Cotto, Zab Judah, Mosley, Vargas, Marquez... They had a LOT of talent that moved in those weight classes then. Tszyu was one of my favorites. So quick at throwing haymakers. Probably would have been an all time elite boxer if he boxed a bit more defensively. And that left hook to the body was devastating of his. I remember a few opponents just dropping from that body shot. Hatton had a sweet hook to the body as well.

But yeah, I can see how some people think Boxing is boring, especially those that mostly just get the mayweather fight. To me watching baseball games with prime Randy Johnson was pretty boring. I'm sure people thought the 2000 ravens was a boring team, or the SB champ broncos a couple years ago.

It's tough to enjoy a sport that you aren't really invested in when defense is ruling the day.

..I'm not anti violence either. In fact, my problem with boxing is there is not enough punching. It's frustrating waiting for a decent punch, and half the time they are hugging each other. What a bore!

the lighter wheights are much more entertaining. Remember Sugar Ray Leonard? Boom Boom Mancini?

the lighter wheights are much more entertaining. Remember Sugar Ray Leonard? Boom Boom Mancini?

Leonard was a boring 'boxer' as well. Despite the show-boating, he was a tappy-tap, win by points boxer rather than a fighter.

Leonard was a boring 'boxer' as well. Despite the show-boating, he was a tappy-tap, win by points boxer rather than a fighter.

I dont know, I was pretty young at the time but it seemed to me he wasnt afraid to go toe to toe, he was just a light puncher. And he did take out Hearns and Duran both, I believe.

Forum List

Back