I AM

LittleNipper

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2013
Who is God? This question drives much of human history, and is a driving force across the meta-narrative of the Bible. After the fall of man in Genesis, mankind no longer had direct access to God, and even the people of Israel only knew certain aspects of their Creator. In Exodus, God states His own name for the first time: “God said to Moses, ‘I AM WHO I AM.’ And He said, ‘Say this to the people of Israel: ‘I AM has sent me to you’” (Exodus 3:14).

The name of I AM is how God chose to introduce himself, becoming so sacred that in Judaism, the name is not to be spoken. The significance of God’s self-given name encompasses all that He is, and how we are to relate to Him.

The Book of Exodus is the second book of the Bible. The first five books of both the Jewish and Christian Bibles, called the Pentateuch, are historically attributed to Moses. In context, the introduction of the name I AM comes early in Exodus. The Israelites had been in bondage in Egypt for four centuries. Near the end of this time, Moses fled Egypt and lived in Midian for forty years when God came to him and spoke through a burning bush. Moses asks God for His name, so he will have an answer when the people of Israel ask. In English, God’s answer is translated as “I AM WHO I AM … tell them I AM has sent me to you” (Exodus 3:14). This name is known as the TETRAGRAMMATON.

To understand the power and weight of this name, compare this answer to the Egyptian pantheon. The Israelite nation lived surrounded by temples dedicated to deities with faces, bodies, birth stories, and death stories. Most significantly, they had names and dominion over certain aspects of life. For example, the goddess Isis had dominion over women, children, and medicine. Her name identified her with specific characteristics, and she held sway only over a few elements of life. Not so for the God of Israel.

Prior to this moment with Moses, the Israelites called their god Elohim or El – is a title, not a personal name – or “El Shaddai”, often translated as God Almighty. When God gives a name for His people to call Him it conveys His dominion over all things, the source of His power, and His eternal nature: I AM. He is the self-sufficient, self-sustaining God who was, who is, and who will be.

This eternal nature is conveyed better in the Hebrew than in the English. The first time God says I AM (“I AM WHO I AM”), the Hebrew says, “Ehyeh asher Ehyeh”, which translates as “I will be what I will be.” When God then tells Moses, “Say this to the people of Israel: I AM has sent you” (Exodus 3:14), it is “Yahweh.” Yahweh is the third person version of Ehyeh, which is first person. Yahweh could also be translated as He will be.

The Tetragrammaton appears over six-thousand times in the Bible, even in modern English translations. The Hebrew scribes were very careful to neither say aloud, nor fully spell out the holy and sacred name of God, Yahweh. Instead they would put it in all capital letters, and say Adonai. They put the vowels of Adonai into the consonants of Yaweh to get YAHOWAH, which English Christians translated into Jehovah. Today, any time a translator wants to acknowledge where YHWH is in the original Hebrew text, they use the word LORD in all capital letters.

Some examples include:

Isaiah 8:1 “Then the LORD said to me, “Take a large tablet and write on it in common characters…”

Psalm 149:1 “Praise the LORD! Sing to the Lord a new song, his praise in the assembly of the godly!”

Proverbs 21:3 “To do righteousness and justice is more acceptable to the LORD than sacrifice.”

Perhaps the most significant use of the name I AM in the Bible comes from Jesus Christ. The religious leaders would often try to catch Jesus in heresy, in a lie, or blaspheming so they could be rid of him. In John 8, the Jewish people challenged his authority, and they brought up Abraham. Jesus tells them how glad Abraham is to see the day of the Lord. When asked by the crowd how He speaks as if He knows Abraham, “Jesus said to them, ‘Truly, truly I say to you, before Abraham was, I am’” (John 8:58).

While the original statement in the Book of John comes to us in Greek, the context does indicate that Jesus is invoking the Divine Name of God. First, He is claiming to pre-exist Abraham, a feat rather difficult for an ordinary man. Second, the Jewish people reacted to this statement by trying to stone Jesus, as prescribed in Leviticus 24:15-16, “And speak to the people of Israel, saying, Whoever curses his God shall bear his sin. Whoever blasphemes the name of the LORD shall surely be put to death. All the congregation shall stone him. The sojourner as well as the native, when he blasphemes the Name, shall be put to death.” The Jewish people took this law seriously, and reacted to Christ invoking I AM by trying to carry out the punishment of the Levitical law. To them it was blasphemy, as Christ took the Divine name for Himself.

When translating the Hebrew name of God into the English language, most translators translate Yahweh as I am. Where there is some differentiation is in the word that goes between the two “I AM” statements - ăšer or asher. According to Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible, ăšer is, “a primitive relative pronoun (of every gender and number); who, which, what, that; also (as adverbially and conjunctionally) when, where, how, because, in order that, etc...it is often accompanied by the personal pronoun...used to show the connection.” There is a degree of choice that translations have when it comes to this word.

Here are some choices popular Bible translations have:

English Standard Version: “I AM WHO I AM.”
King James Version: “I AM THAT I AM.”
New International Version: “I AM WHO I AM.”
Wycliffe Bible: “I am that I am.”

Many English versions translate asher either as who or that in this context. Older translations tend towards “that”, where newer translations lean toward “who”.

Understanding the weight and power of the name in Exodus 3:14, “I AM WHO I AM” is important for today’s Christian to understand the complexity of who God is. He is all-encompassing and self-sufficient. It is a name above names, one that reminds the believer that God is in control, and that He sees His children. It also affirms the identity of the Savior as the Son of God. It can be easy in the struggles of everyday life to lose sight of the majesty and holiness of God, but meditating on the name He gave Himself, and all that it represents, can help put our time on earth into perspective. God is infinite, and He is sovereign over our lives, He Is Who He Is - אֶהְיֶה אֲשֶׁר אֶהְיֶה.

Last edited:
GOD is GOD and infinite without end. Mormons try to make GOD a man of flesh and bone who achieved godhood and took pre-existing elements and fabricated this Universe and paved a way so we too can be god's of our own universes. JWs cannot accept the thought that CHRIST is GOD with us. They see Jesus as a "created being" with works as one's primary redemption. Jews see GOD as part of their traditions and seemingly impersonal. However, the Christian knows that GOD is loving and wants a relationship but first HE needed to atone for man's sin. Without that there can be no relationship. And without accepting GOD's SALVATION, there remains no personal relationship. GOD is perfect and eternal and the maker of all things including anything that exists anywhere; however, GOD was indeed capable of coming to this material world because of GOD's triune nature. GOD doesn't ask man to understand what GOD is but to trust in HIM and in HIM alone. This means one must trust in CHRIST ---- listen to the leading of the HOLY SPIRIT in that regard, and be drawn to the FATHER by CHRIST's atonement --- that pays for all sin except that of REJECTING the witnessing of the HOLY SPIRIT, the redeeming work of the MESSIAH/CHRIST, and ultimately the FATHER who orchestrated this entire plan...

Last edited:
they use the word LORD in all capital letters.

All letters in Hebrew are capital letters.

There are no 'small' letters.
The English word "LORD" where capitalized in English Bible translations, means that the Hebrew word used in the original text was YAHWEH.

Adonai is the Hebrew abbreviation for "My Lord". Yahweh doesn't appear in written Hebrew, there are no vowels in written Hebrew scripture, so Yahweh is only an approximation of the Hebrew characters for YHWH.

If you were able to read Hebrew, you'd know that.

The English word "LORD" where capitalized in English Bible translations, means that the Hebrew word used in the original text was YAHWEH.

Adonai is the Hebrew abbreviation for "My Lord". Yahweh doesn't appear in written Hebrew, there are no vowels in written Hebrew scripture, so Yahweh is only an approximation of the Hebrew characters for YHWH.

If I'm not mistaken, the vowels in Adonai were inserted into the divine name arbitrarily, and that's how YHWH became Yahweh, meaning that it is very likely a misuse of the name.

If I'm not mistaken, the vowels in Adonai were inserted into the divine name arbitrarily, and that's how YHWH became Yahweh, meaning that it is very likely a misuse of the name.

When xtian scripture was translated from Hebrew, to Greek, to Latin, and then to whatever, vowels were inserted into every Hebrew word. Typically, by persons with very little knowledge of Hebrew.

Xtian scripture were originally written in Greek. So, it's best that a study of xtian scriptures be confined to a study of that language.

When xtian scripture was translated from Hebrew, to Greek, to Latin, and then to whatever, vowels were inserted into every Hebrew word. Typically, by persons with very little knowledge of Hebrew.

Xtian scripture were originally written in Greek. So, it's best that a study of xtian scriptures be confined to a study of that language.
A lot of different interpretations. Hence a lot of sects, like the Church of Cheese and Rice of Ladder Day Saints.

GOD is GOD and infinite without end. Mormons try to make GOD a man of flesh and bone who achieved godhood and took pre-existing elements and fabricated this Universe and paved a way so we too can be god's of our own universes. JWs cannot accept the thought that CHRIST is GOD with us. They see Jesus as a "created being" with works as one's primary redemption. Jews see GOD as part of their traditions and seemingly impersonal. However, the Christian knows that GOD is loving and wants a relationship but first HE needed to atone for man's sin. Without that there can be no relationship. And without accepting GOD's SALVATION, there remains no personal relationship. GOD is perfect and eternal and the maker of all things including anything that exists anywhere; however, GOD was indeed capable of coming to this material world because of GOD's triune nature. GOD doesn't ask man to understand what GOD is but to trust in HIM and in HIM alone. This means one must trust in CHRIST ---- listen to the leading of the HOLY SPIRIT in that regard, and be drawn to the FATHER by CHRIST's atonement --- that pays for all sin except that of REJECTING the witnessing of the HOLY SPIRIT, the redeeming work of the MESSIAH/CHRIST, and ultimately the FATHER who orchestrated this entire plan...
Amen. This is the meat of the matter at hand in the OP. Well done.

You are correct - In the original Hebrew there were no vowels - the vowel pointing came much later. However, we can determine the vowels a number of different ways. One way is English forms of Bible names that contain the Divine Name in the prefix or suffix. There are many examples - I will over-simplify:

The long form prefix (in English) is Jeho (e.g. Jehoshua) which confirms that in English God's name should be spelled starting with Jeho.

The short form prefixes also confirm e and o - e.g. Je (Jeshua/Jesus), Jo (Joshua & John).

The suffixes also help though in some cases the Hebrew has yahu. However, in English Isaiah, Hosea Hoshea confirm ah - so we have confirmed Jeho - ah - the only letter missing is a vowel - it can be translatirated as either w or v. This is one reason we spell Jehovah. Yahweh ignores the middle vowel o, and has the first and last vowels reversed!

Now, of course, that is weak proof for the Hebrew vowel sounds. However, names like Jesus and John are from Greek translations of Hebrew names - and Greek has vowels and the Greek has e and o respectively for the Greek spelling of these names! Also, in Revelation we have the Divine Name in the suffix of Hallelujah (or yah) which in Greek ends with ia (i for the y sound, a fro the vowel) So the Greek really does confirm the vowels e - o - a in that order.

However, I do not know (yet) where the "u" comes from in the Hebrew suffix of Isaiah - i.e. yahu.

I think it may have something to do with the derivation of Jew, Jehudah, Judah since in Hebrew the name Judah has 3 of the 4 consonants of the Divine Name - Jehovah is YHWH, Judah is YHDH. I doubt that is coincidence in view of the reason Leah names her son Judah - namely to praise Jehovah, not simply to praise:

Genesis 29:35
And she became pregnant once more and gave birth to a son and then said: “This time I will praise Jehovah.” She therefore named him Judah.*+ After that she stopped giving birth.

Who is God? This question drives much of human history, and is a driving force across the meta-narrative of the Bible. After the fall of man in Genesis, mankind no longer had direct access to God, and even the people of Israel only knew certain aspects of their Creator. In Exodus, God states His own name for the first time: “God said to Moses, ‘I AM WHO I AM.’ And He said, ‘Say this to the people of Israel: ‘I AM has sent me to you’” (Exodus 3:14).

The name of I AM is how God chose to introduce himself, becoming so sacred that in Judaism, the name is not to be spoken. The significance of God’s self-given name encompasses all that He is, and how we are to relate to Him.

The Book of Exodus is the second book of the Bible. The first five books of both the Jewish and Christian Bibles, called the Pentateuch, are historically attributed to Moses. In context, the introduction of the name I AM comes early in Exodus. The Israelites had been in bondage in Egypt for four centuries. Near the end of this time, Moses fled Egypt and lived in Midian for forty years when God came to him and spoke through a burning bush. Moses asks God for His name, so he will have an answer when the people of Israel ask. In English, God’s answer is translated as “I AM WHO I AM … tell them I AM has sent me to you” (Exodus 3:14). This name is known as the TETRAGRAMMATON.

To understand the power and weight of this name, compare this answer to the Egyptian pantheon. The Israelite nation lived surrounded by temples dedicated to deities with faces, bodies, birth stories, and death stories. Most significantly, they had names and dominion over certain aspects of life. For example, the goddess Isis had dominion over women, children, and medicine. Her name identified her with specific characteristics, and she held sway only over a few elements of life. Not so for the God of Israel.

Prior to this moment with Moses, the Israelites called their god Elohim or El – is a title, not a personal name – or “El Shaddai”, often translated as God Almighty. When God gives a name for His people to call Him it conveys His dominion over all things, the source of His power, and His eternal nature: I AM. He is the self-sufficient, self-sustaining God who was, who is, and who will be.

This eternal nature is conveyed better in the Hebrew than in the English. The first time God says I AM (“I AM WHO I AM”), the Hebrew says, “Ehyeh asher Ehyeh”, which translates as “I will be what I will be.” When God then tells Moses, “Say this to the people of Israel: I AM has sent you” (Exodus 3:14), it is “Yahweh.” Yahweh is the third person version of Ehyeh, which is first person. Yahweh could also be translated as He will be.

The Tetragrammaton appears over six-thousand times in the Bible, even in modern English translations. The Hebrew scribes were very careful to neither say aloud, nor fully spell out the holy and sacred name of God, Yahweh. Instead they would put it in all capital letters, and say Adonai. They put the vowels of Adonai into the consonants of Yaweh to get YAHOWAH, which English Christians translated into Jehovah. Today, any time a translator wants to acknowledge where YHWH is in the original Hebrew text, they use the word LORD in all capital letters.

Some examples include:

Isaiah 8:1 “Then the LORD said to me, “Take a large tablet and write on it in common characters…”

Psalm 149:1 “Praise the LORD! Sing to the Lord a new song, his praise in the assembly of the godly!”

Proverbs 21:3 “To do righteousness and justice is more acceptable to the LORD than sacrifice.”

Perhaps the most significant use of the name I AM in the Bible comes from Jesus Christ. The religious leaders would often try to catch Jesus in heresy, in a lie, or blaspheming so they could be rid of him. In John 8, the Jewish people challenged his authority, and they brought up Abraham. Jesus tells them how glad Abraham is to see the day of the Lord. When asked by the crowd how He speaks as if He knows Abraham, “Jesus said to them, ‘Truly, truly I say to you, before Abraham was, I am’” (John 8:58).

While the original statement in the Book of John comes to us in Greek, the context does indicate that Jesus is invoking the Divine Name of God. First, He is claiming to pre-exist Abraham, a feat rather difficult for an ordinary man. Second, the Jewish people reacted to this statement by trying to stone Jesus, as prescribed in Leviticus 24:15-16, “And speak to the people of Israel, saying, Whoever curses his God shall bear his sin. Whoever blasphemes the name of the LORD shall surely be put to death. All the congregation shall stone him. The sojourner as well as the native, when he blasphemes the Name, shall be put to death.” The Jewish people took this law seriously, and reacted to Christ invoking I AM by trying to carry out the punishment of the Levitical law. To them it was blasphemy, as Christ took the Divine name for Himself.

When translating the Hebrew name of God into the English language, most translators translate Yahweh as I am. Where there is some differentiation is in the word that goes between the two “I AM” statements - ăšer or asher. According to Strong’s Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible, ăšer is, “a primitive relative pronoun (of every gender and number); who, which, what, that; also (as adverbially and conjunctionally) when, where, how, because, in order that, etc...it is often accompanied by the personal pronoun...used to show the connection.” There is a degree of choice that translations have when it comes to this word.

Many English versions translate asher either as who or that in this context. Older translations tend towards “that”, where newer translations lean toward “who”.

Understanding the weight and power of the name in Exodus 3:14, “I AM WHO I AM” is important for today’s Christian to understand the complexity of who God is. He is all-encompassing and self-sufficient. It is a name above names, one that reminds the believer that God is in control, and that He sees His children. It also affirms the identity of the Savior as the Son of God. It can be easy in the struggles of everyday life to lose sight of the majesty and holiness of God, but meditating on the name He gave Himself, and all that it represents, can help put our time on earth into perspective. God is infinite, and He is sovereign over our lives, He Is Who He Is - אֶהְיֶה אֲשֶׁר אֶהְיֶה.

Many good points little nipper - but also a long post which makes posting an error more likely. Most errors are not so important to the overall conclusion being reached. I hope you don't mind my pointing out an error with this even longer post! (hopefully no errors - but feel free to point out any errors)

That being said, you posted: "Prior to this moment with Moses, the Israelites called their god Elohim or El – is a title, not a personal name – or “El Shaddai”, often translated as God Almighty."

Well, you are correct that el shaddai means God Almighty and that this and El/God and Elohim (plural of excellence for God) are titles not names - the fact that the Israelites before Moses' time did not know God by his name Jehovah (or the similar but different ehyeh) was not referring to knowing the actual name, but rather knowing that the definition of the name Jehovah (and also the definition of ehyeh asher ehyeh) applied to God - the context proves this by referring to God now fulfilling his promise about the promised land. The Israelites knew the promise but did not know God as having fulfilled the promise. If this was not the case, the Bible would be contradicting itself - note how:

Exodus 6:3 (NW)
And I used to appear to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as God Almighty,+ but with regard to my name Jehovah+ I did not make myself known to them.+

JPS Tanakh 1917
and I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, as God Almighty, but by My name ???? I made Me not known to them.

American King James Version
And I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, by the name of God Almighty, but by my name JEHOVAH was I not known to them.

American Standard Version
and I appeared unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, as God Almighty; but by my name Jehovah I was not known to them.

However, there are numerous occurrences of the Divine Name in the book of Genesis that show God's people knew God by his personal name Jehovah (H3068/Yehovah not H113/adon/Lord or H136/adonay/Lord) - here are a few examples (note many translations remove the Divine Name and substitute the title Lord/LORD (the capitals depend on which mistranslation).

Genesis 29:35 (Jacob's wife Leah speaking)
And she became pregnant once more and gave birth to a son and then said: “This time I will praise Jehovah.” She therefore named him Judah.*+ After that she stopped giving birth.

{Note: Jehovah is YHWH in the original Hebrew text while Judah is YHDH in the original Hebrew text]

Leah was before Moses' time - in fact her husband Jacob's name was changed to Israel - so no Israelites existed before Jacob's time.

The first occurrence of the Divine Name is in Genesis 2:4 which implies God was known by his name long before - though in Genesis chapter 3 neither Satan nor Eve referred to God by his name.

Another verse that is often misunderstood:

Genesis 4:25,26
Adam again had sexual relations with his wife, and she gave birth to a son. She named him Seth*+ because, as she said, “God has appointed for me another offspring* in place of Abel, because Cain killed him.”+ 26 There was also born to Seth a son, and he named him Eʹnosh.+ At that time people began calling on the name of Jehovah.

Well, this also does not mean that only by the time of the birth of Seth's son Enosh did anyone utter the Divine Name. Verse 26 is referring to doing this in an improper way - like in Kabala where the Divine Name is used in magical rites. This was one reason for the commandment in Exodus 20:7.

The simple truth is that even Eve, Adam's wife, knew the Divine Name Jehovah:

Genesis 4:1
Now Adam had sexual relations with his wife Eve, and she became pregnant.+ When she gave birth to Cain,+ she said: “I have produced* a male child with the help of Jehovah.”

American Standard Version
And the man knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man with the help of Jehovah.

Young's Literal Translation
And the man knew Eve his wife, and she conceiveth and beareth Cain, and saith, 'I have gotten a man by Jehovah;'

JPS Tanakh 1917
And the man knew Eve his wife; and she conceived and bore Cain, and said: 'I have gotten a man with the help of the LORD.'

(KJV+) And AdamH121 knewH3045 (H853) EveH2332 his wife;H802 and she conceived,H2029 and bareH3205 (H853) Cain,H7014 and said,H559 I have gottenH7069 a manH376 fromH854 the LORD.H3068

(TLV) Now the man had relations with Eve his wife and she became pregnant and gave birth to Cain. She said, “I produced a man with Adonai.”

(TS2009) And Aḏam knew Ḥawwah his wife, and she conceived and bore Qayin, and said, “I have gained a man, יהוה.”

(Geneva) Afterwarde the man knewe Heuah his wife, which conceiued and bare Kain, and said, I haue obteined a man by the Lord.

Please note, as KJV+ notes, the original Hebrew reads H3068/Yehovah/Jehovah/יְהֹוָה NOT H113/adon/Lord/ אָדוֹן nor H136/adonay/Lord/אֲדֹנָי

Obviously Eve spoke the Divine Name before the birth of Seth, and way before the time of Moses.

However, the context of Exodus 6:3 and 3:14 both refer to Jehovah as fulfilling his promises which is one definition of the Divine Name Jehovah (containing a Hebrew verb "to be" in the causative sense: He causes to be) and the expression ehyeh asher ehyeh in Exodus 3:14 - see the context of both verses.

I should note a few translations of Exodus 3:14, first from the Greek Septuagint:

Exodus 3:14
(Brenton)[English LXX] And God spoke to Moses, saying, I am THE BEING; and he said, Thus shall ye say to the children of Israel, THE BEING has sent me to you.

The Greek is ego eimi ho on (I am the being) and then just ho on (the being). Note that ho on NOT ego eimi is stressed. But the Hebrew as you posted is ehyeh asher ehyeh. My favorite translation (NW ref) is from the Hebrew (as are many translations and mistranslations):

Exodus 3:14
So God said to Moses: “I Will Become What I Choose* to Become.”*+ And he added: “This is what you are to say to the Israelites, ‘I Will Become has sent me to you.’”+

Other translations are here:

NW ref. footnote:

"“I SHALL PROVE TO BE WHAT I SHALL PROVE TO BE.” Heb., אֶהְיֶֽה אֲשֶֽׁר אֶהְיֶֽה (ʼEh·yehʹ ʼAsherʹ ʼEh·yehʹ), God’s own self-designation; Leeser, “I WILL BE THAT I WILL BE”; Rotherham, “I Will Become whatsoever I please.” Gr., E·goʹ ei·mi ho on, “I am The Being,” or, “I am The Existing One”; Lat., eʹgo sum qui sum, “I am Who I am.” ʼEh·yehʹ comes from the Heb. verb ha·yahʹ, “become; prove to be.” Here ʼEh·yehʹ is in the imperfect state, first person sing., meaning “I shall become”; or, “I shall prove to be.” The reference here is not to God’s self-existence but to what he has in mind to become toward others. Compare Ge 2:4 ftn, “Jehovah,” where the kindred, but different, Heb. verb ha·wahʹ appears in the divine name."

Please note that both ehyeh and Jehovah are/contain verbs - all verbs require action. Self-existence (as in I am) is not a verb is it? Ehyeh contains the verb hayah (HYH) while Jehovah contains the verb hawah (HWH) - both in the Hebrew imperfect verb state = action in progress not yet complete.

Again, see the contexts of Exodus 3:14; 6:3.

For example:

Exodus 3:15
Then God said once more to Moses:
“This is what you are to say to the Israelites, ‘Jehovah the God of your forefathers, the God of Abraham,+ the God of Isaac,+ and the God of Jacob,+ has sent me to you.’ This is my name forever,+ and this is how I am to be remembered from generation to generation.

Exodus 3:16,17 [Concerning Jehovah fulfilling his promise: the promised land]
Now go, and gather the elders of Israel and say to them, ‘Jehovah the God of your forefathers has appeared to me, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and he said: “I have certainly taken notice of you+ and of what is being done to you in Egypt. 17 So I say, I will take you away from affliction+ at the hands of the Egyptians to the land of the Caʹnaan·ites, the Hitʹtites, the Amʹor·ites,+ the Perʹiz·zites, the Hiʹvites, and the Jebʹu·sites,+ to a land flowing with milk and honey.”’+

Exodus 6:2-8 [again fulfilling the promise/oath concerning the promised land]

Then God said to Moses: “I am Jehovah. 3 And I used to appear to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as God Almighty,+ but with regard to my name Jehovah+ I did not make myself known to them.+ 4 I also established my covenant with them to give them the land of Caʹnaan, the land in which they lived as foreigners.+ 5 Now I myself have heard the groaning of the people of Israel, whom the Egyptians are enslaving, and I remember my covenant.+

6 “Therefore, say to the Israelites: ‘I am Jehovah, and I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians and rescue you from their slavery,+ and I will reclaim you with an outstretched* arm and with great judgments.+ 7 And I will take you in as my people, and I will be your God,+ and you will certainly know that I am Jehovah your God who is bringing you out from under the burdens of Egypt. 8 And I will bring you into the land that I swore with an oath* to give to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob; and I will give it to you as something to possess.+ I am Jehovah.’”+

Notice another definition of the Divine Name borne out by these contexts: the fulfiller of promises or accomplishing his purpose.

to be continued

Last edited:

Well, little nipper made another error - we all do.

Jesus is not merely the firstborn of God's creation, but is actually the Son of the love of God. The original greek text of Colossians 1:13 reads "the Son of the love of him" not merely God's dear son. See the original Greek in our interlinear here:

τοῦ of the υἱοῦ Son τῆς of the ἀγάπης love αὐτοῦ of him

Note that the Greek has the definite article (G3588) TWICE - first as tou, and then as tes. Again, the Son of the love (Greek apapes/agape) of him.

Actually, love is the primary reason for all creation - cp. 1 John 4:8.

[compare the context of Colossians 1:13 - e.g. vs. 15-17]

Likewise, Proverbs 8:22-31 is referring to Jesus (the wisdom of God - 1 Corinthians 1:24) not as just a created being, but as a beloved son. In fact, the Hebrew word chiyl in Proverbs 8:24,25 does not simply mean "brought forth." It refers to the pain of parturition/childbirth.

To emphasize the point: childbirth not merely creation. [NW ref: "brought forth as with labor pains"]

For example:

Proverbs 8:24
(KJV+) When there were noH369 depths,H8415 I was brought forth;H2342 when there were noH369 fountainsH4599 aboundingH3513 with water.H4325

H2342chiyl literally means to whirl in a circular or spiral motion - that intrigues me because I am into science. But in this context (Pr.8:24,25) it refers to the pains of parturition/childbirth. Note Strong's Hebrew dictionary:

H2342
חִיל חוּל
chûl chı̂yl
khool, kheel
A primitive root; properly to twist or whirl (in a circular or spiral manner), that is, (specifically) to dance, to writhe in pain (especially of parturition) or fear;

Now, it is true that in Revelation 3:14 Jesus is referred to as the first (Greek arche) of the creation (Greek ktiseos) of God. But usually Jesus is not merely referred to as the firstborn of God's creation, but rather the firstborn (Greek prototokos) only-begotten (Greek monogenes = only born) SON of God.

While some trinitarians believe Jesus is Jehovah (modalism - the Father and the Son are one person), most trinitarians agree with us that the Father Jehovah is not the same person as the Son Jesus - the normally believed/taught trinity doctrine is 3 persons in one God not 1 person in one God.

In fact, many trinitarians agree with us that Jesus is the Son of God not the Father. (cp. Matthew 6:9,10 - the Lord's prayer - Our Father, hallowed by thy name [not hallowed be my name] - see Psalms 83:18 KJV).

[Note: the full text has "in heaven" - Jehovah was then in heaven while Jesus was then on earth]

Last edited:

Some examples include:

1) THEY SAY that is "the messenger of God" not the creator which is an Essence and not a man nor form, so that Essence of Creation needs a reflection as mediator describing and manifesting that Nature. =ArchMalakh
2)it was a verb, the message coming from
"the world to come" future tense, so the proper term is: I Am, I will Be (what will Be).
Hence Isaiah hints :the Beginning (where the messenger and messages derive ) is at the end.
=non linear time.
Now the rest should fall into place and make sense, "what, why(purpose), how, when."

Jesus is not merely the firstborn of God's creation, but is actually the Son of the love of God. The original greek text of Colossians 1:13 reads "the Son of the love of him" not merely God's dear son. See the original Greek in our interlinear here:

Note that the Greek has the definite article (G3588) TWICE - first as tou, and then as tes. Again, the Son of the love (Greek apapes/agape) of him.

Likewise, Proverbs 8:22-31 is referring to Jesus (the wisdom of God - 1 Corinthians 1:24) not as just a created being, but as a beloved son. In fact, the Hebrew word chiyl in Proverbs 8:24,25 does not simply mean "brought forth." It refers to the pain of parturition/childbirth.

To emphasize the point: childbirth not merely creation. [NW ref: "brought forth as with labor pains"]

For example:

(KJV+) When there were noH369 depths,H8415 I was brought forth;H2342 when there were noH369 fountainsH4599 aboundingH3513 with water.H4325

H2342chiyl literally means to whirl in a circular or spiral motion - that intrigues me because I am into science. But in this context (Pr.8:24,25) it refers to the pains of parturition/childbirth. Note Strong's Hebrew dictionary:

H2342
חִיל חוּל
chûl chı̂yl
khool, kheel
A primitive root; properly to twist or whirl (in a circular or spiral manner), that is, (specifically) to dance, to writhe in pain (especially of parturition) or fear;

Now, it is true that in Revelation 3:14 Jesus is referred to as the first (Greek arche) of the creation (Greek ktiseos) of God. But usually Jesus is not merely referred to as the firstborn of God's creation, but rather the firstborn (Greek prototokos) only-begotten (Greek monogenes = only born) SON of God.

While some trinitarians believe Jesus is Jehovah (modalism - the Father and the Son are one person), most trinitarians agree with us that the Father Jehovah is not the same person as the Son Jesus - the normally believed/taught trinity doctrine is 3 persons in one God not 1 person in one God.

In fact, many trinitarians agree with us that Jesus is the Son of God not the Father. (cp. Matthew 6:9,10 - the Lord's prayer - Our Father, hallowed by thy name [not hallowed be my name] - see Psalms 83:18 KJV).

[Note: the full text has "in heaven" - Jehovah was then in heaven while Jesus was then on earth]
Jesus completely fulfills these prophecies: 1.) You have to be called Mighty God (see Isaiah 9:6, Titus 2:13) 2.) You must be born of a Virgin 3.) You must be able to perform Miracles.

It is one thing to claim to be God, but it is another matter to prove it. A claim of deity must be accompanied by extraordinary evidence. One of the ways that Jesus demonstrated He was divine was by performing miracles. Even Jesus’ enemies admitted that He could do miracles. His miracles can be categorized into (2) types: “Nature” and “Healing”. Nature miracles: - Stilled the Storm - Walked on water - Feeding the 5,000 (not including women and children) - Turned water into wine Healing miracles: - Lepers - Paralytics - Deaf - Blind The Talmud acknowledges Jesus’ ability to do miracles The Talmud is a record of rabbinic discussions on Jewish law, ethics, customs, legends and stories, which Jewish tradition considers authoritative. Basically, it’s Judaism’s holiest book next to the Torah. The Talmud has an ancient record of the Babylonian Sanhedrin acknowledging Jesus’ ability to do miracles and likened his ability to sorcery. The document goes on to say that Jesus did miracles by the power of Satan; and it refers to him as a curse word (a word that describes an illegitimate child).

Miracles occur in the Bible as a means of authenticating divine revelation. When Jesus began His ministry, He unleashed a series of miracles that arrested the world’s attention. Jesus healed the sick, gave sight to the blind, fed thousands of people from a handful of food, demonstrated power over nature, and even raised the dead. These miracles were performed in the open and served to validate His claims. Acts 2:22 – Peter talks about Jesus’ “public miracles” Jesus told His listeners that if they did not believe His words, they should believe His works. John 10:37-38 5. Virgin Birth – Isaiah 7:14; Matthew 1:23 700 years before Jesus was born, Isaiah prophesied. “Immanuel” means “God with us.” Isaiah predicted that one of the major “signs” of the anticipated Savior would be His coming by means of a virgin birth. Many deny it because it is a biological impossibility The virgin birth assures Jesus’ sinless nature – He didn’t inherit His father’s sinful nature… Jesus made the claim to be your “Sinless Savior” Listen, we all came to this earth to make a decision, because we are born into sin and “condemned already” (John 3:18).

Jesus possesses the Attributes of God - 2 Corinthians 5:21 Omnipotent – “All Powerful” – Matthew 28:18 (over creation, men, angels, Satan, death) Omnipresent – “Everywhere” – Matthew 18:20; 28:20 Omniscient – “All Knowing” – Matthew 9:4 (sees all, knows all) Preexistent Creator of the Universe Sinless Raise the Dead (Lazarus, the Ruler’s Daughter, Widow’s son at Nain, and all of us when He returns!) Power over Disease Holy – set apart, sanctified Immutable (Same) Accepts Worship 7. Forgives Sin – Mark 2:5 – He heals the paralytic 8. Power over Nature – Mark 4:41—Wind and wave obey Jesus 9. Heals – John 9:25-32 – When the healed blind man testifies about Christ 10. Jesus is Eternal – John 1:1-2 – He is the eternal Word!

Yes, we all make mistakes ---- even religious organizations. We all come short of the glory of GOD and need the SAVIOR. That SAVIOR is JESUS the MESSIAH.

John 20:27 Then Jesus said to Thomas, “Put your finger here and look at My hands. Reach out your hand and put it into My side. Stop doubting and believe.” 28 Thomas replied, My Lord and my God!” 29 Jesus said to him, “Because you have seen Me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”…

Last edited:

Some examples include:

1) THEY SAY that is "the messenger of God" not the creator which is an Essence and not a man nor form, so that Essence of Creation needs a reflection as mediator describing and manifesting that Nature. =ArchMalakh
2)it was a verb, the message coming from
"the world to come" future tense, so the proper term is: I Am, I will Be (what will Be).
Hence Isaiah hints :the Beginning (where the messenger and messages derive ) is at the end.
=non linear time.
Now the rest should fall into place and make sense, "what, why(purpose), how, when."

HaShev - you are certainly correct that the messenger/angel of God is not the Creator, though the Word is referred to as God. A key is that no man has actually seen God but many have seen the angel/messenger/word of God. The is stated both in the Hebrew Scriptures (OT) and the Christian Greek Scriptures (NT). Specifically, from the Torah:

Exodus 33:20
JPS Tanakh 1917
And He said: 'Thou canst not see My face, for man shall not see Me and live.'
(NW) But he added: “You cannot see my face, for no man can see me and live.”
NW ref. footnote on "man" - Or, “earthling man.” Heb., ha·ʼa·dhamʹ.

John 1:18
The Bible in Living English
Nobody ever has seen God; an Only Born God, he who is in the Father’s bosom, he gave the account of him.
(KJV) No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.
Holman Christian Standard Bible
No one has ever seen God. The One and Only Son-- the One who is at the Father's side-- He has revealed Him.

John 6:46
(NW ref) Not that any man has seen the Father,+ except he who is from God; this one has seen the Father.+
(KJV) Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he which is of God, he hath seen the Father.
New International Version
No one has seen the Father except the one who is from God; only he has seen the Father.

1 John 4:12
New International Version
No one has seen the Father except the one who is from God; only he has seen the Father.

John 5:37
New Living Translation
And the Father who sent me has testified about me himself. You have never heard his voice or seen him face to face,
(NW)And the Father who sent me has himself borne witness about me.+ You have neither heard his voice at any time nor seen his form,+

{"form" is Greek G1491/eidos/a view from G1492/eido/to see - it can also refer to outward appearance]

Of course, many saw Jesus - so Jesus could not have been God.

Interestingly, many trinitarians claim accounts where men saw the angel of Jehovah: Christology. That is, they think Manoah saw Jesus in this account (and similar accounts);;

Judges 13:20-22 (NW)
As the flame ascended from the altar heavenward, Jehovah’s angel ascended in the flame from the altar while Ma·noʹah and his wife were looking on. At once they fell with their faces to the ground. 21 Jehovah’s angel did not appear again to Ma·noʹah and his wife. Then Ma·noʹah realized that he was Jehovah’s angel.+ 22 Ma·noʹah then said to his wife: “We are sure to die, because it is God whom we have seen.”+

The irony in this is that they claim we denigrate Jesus by referring to him as the arch/chief angel/messenger of God - yet they believe Jesus is the angel/messenger of God in Judges 13:20-22 and similar accounts in the Hebrew Scriptures!

Btw - Thomas made a similar exclamation to what Manoah exclaimed at John 20:28 cp. Judges 13:22!

Last edited:

For example:

H2342
חִיל חוּל
chûl chı̂yl
khool, kheel

Jesus completely fulfills these prophecies: 1.) You have to be called Mighty God (see Isaiah 9:6, Titus 2:13) 2.) You must be born of a Virgin 3.) You must be able to perform Miracles.

It is one thing to claim to be God, but it is another matter to prove it. A claim of deity must be accompanied by extraordinary evidence. One of the ways that Jesus demonstrated He was divine was by performing miracles. Even Jesus’ enemies admitted that He could do miracles. His miracles can be categorized into (2) types: “Nature” and “Healing”. Nature miracles: - Stilled the Storm - Walked on water - Feeding the 5,000 (not including women and children) - Turned water into wine Healing miracles: - Lepers - Paralytics - Deaf - Blind The Talmud acknowledges Jesus’ ability to do miracles The Talmud is a record of rabbinic discussions on Jewish law, ethics, customs, legends and stories, which Jewish tradition considers authoritative. Basically, it’s Judaism’s holiest book next to the Torah. The Talmud has an ancient record of the Babylonian Sanhedrin acknowledging Jesus’ ability to do miracles and likened his ability to sorcery. The document goes on to say that Jesus did miracles by the power of Satan; and it refers to him as a curse word (a word that describes an illegitimate child).

Miracles occur in the Bible as a means of authenticating divine revelation. When Jesus began His ministry, He unleashed a series of miracles that arrested the world’s attention. Jesus healed the sick, gave sight to the blind, fed thousands of people from a handful of food, demonstrated power over nature, and even raised the dead. These miracles were performed in the open and served to validate His claims. Acts 2:22 – Peter talks about Jesus’ “public miracles” Jesus told His listeners that if they did not believe His words, they should believe His works. John 10:37-38 5. Virgin Birth – Isaiah 7:14; Matthew 1:23 700 years before Jesus was born, Isaiah prophesied. “Immanuel” means “God with us.” Isaiah predicted that one of the major “signs” of the anticipated Savior would be His coming by means of a virgin birth. Many deny it because it is a biological impossibility The virgin birth assures Jesus’ sinless nature – He didn’t inherit His father’s sinful nature… Jesus made the claim to be your “Sinless Savior” Listen, we all came to this earth to make a decision, because we are born into sin and “condemned already” (John 3:18).

Jesus possesses the Attributes of God - 2 Corinthians 5:21 Omnipotent – “All Powerful” – Matthew 28:18 (over creation, men, angels, Satan, death) Omnipresent – “Everywhere” – Matthew 18:20; 28:20 Omniscient – “All Knowing” – Matthew 9:4 (sees all, knows all) Preexistent Creator of the Universe Sinless Raise the Dead (Lazarus, the Ruler’s Daughter, Widow’s son at Nain, and all of us when He returns!) Power over Disease Holy – set apart, sanctified Immutable (Same) Accepts Worship 7. Forgives Sin – Mark 2:5 – He heals the paralytic 8. Power over Nature – Mark 4:41—Wind and wave obey Jesus 9. Heals – John 9:25-32 – When the healed blind man testifies about Christ 10. Jesus is Eternal – John 1:1-2 – He is the eternal Word!

Yes, we all make mistakes ---- even religious organizations. We all come short of the glory of GOD and need the SAVIOR. That SAVIOR is JESUS the MESSIAH.

John 20:27 Then Jesus said to Thomas, “Put your finger here and look at My hands. Reach out your hand and put it into My side. Stop doubting and believe.” 28 Thomas replied, My Lord and my God!” 29 Jesus said to him, “Because you have seen Me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”…

Little Nipper - Your posts are long - so are mine of course. Can you specify a point you want me to address - since my time is limited?

On your point about the exclamation of Thomas at John 20:28, note what I posted above about Judges 13:22 where Manoah makes a similar exclamation concerning the angel of Jehovah.

So, do you agree with other trinitarians that this is a Christology?

Little Nipper - here is an extensive link on examples some trinitarians claim are Christologies or appearances of Christ in the Hebrew Scriptures - I think they may be right in some cases. The link is clearly trinitarian - we are not trinitarian - so, of course, we do not agree on some points.

A few excerpts:

"Dr. John Walvoord in his great book, Jesus Christ Our Lord, makes the following statement about these Old Testament appearances. “It is safe to assume that every visible manifestation of God in bodily form in the Old Testament is to be identified with the Lord Jesus Christ.” (Walvoord, 54)....

A List of Old Testament Christophanies

In the Old Testament we run across a mysterious “being” in numerous places who is most often called, “The Angel of Jehovah.” He is a mysterious “being” because He is like no other angel we meet in the Old Testament.....

He is identified with God:
Genesis 16:7-13 Genesis 22:15-18 Genesis 31:11-13 Exodus 3:1 ff Acts 7:30-35 Exodus 13:21 Exodus 14:19 Judges 6:11-23 Judges 13:9-20 ....

Genesis 18:1 (Christophany) 1 Now the LORD appeared to him by the oaks of Mamre..."

The PDF then quotes Genesis 18:1-19:1 and notes that of the 3 men/angels that appeared to Abraham, 2 go to Sodom and 1 stays behind and converses with Abraham. Note also the translation quoted substitutes LORD for the Divine Name.

So what of Genesis 18:1-19:1 - do you agree the angel (materialized as a man) that stayed with Abraham was actually Jesus Christ? Is this an example of a Christology/Christophany? My religion is not dogmatic about this, but we do feel it is likely.

Another example in the Torah which is pointed to in this link is Jacob wrestling with the angel in Genesis chapter 32. The conclusion of the account is here:

Genesis 32:26-30 (NW)
After that he said: “Let me go, for the dawn is breaking.” To this he said: “I am not going to let you go until you bless me.”+ 27 So he said to him: “What is your name?” to which he said: “Jacob.” 28 Then he said: “Your name will no longer be Jacob but Israel,*+ for you have contended with God+ and with men and you have at last prevailed.” 29 In turn Jacob inquired: “Tell me, please, your name.” However, he said: “Why is it that you ask my name?”+ With that he blessed him there. 30 So Jacob named the place Pe·niʹel,*+ for he said, “I have seen God face-to-face, yet my life* was preserved.”+

Note that the suffix "el" in Israel and Peniel = God in Hebrew. (compare Daniel, Ezekiel, Elijah etc.)

NW footnote on "Israel" - "Meaning “Contender (Perseverer) With God” or “God Contends.”"
NW footnote on "Peniel" - Meaning “Face of God.”

Now we believe Jacob was not wrestling with Jehovah - that would contradict the many verses showing no man has seen God. We believe John 1:1 is key to understanding this - The Word is a god (theos without the definite article) Word/logos is similar in definition to archangel - to wit:

arch/chief angel/messenger = the chief one conveying the message/word of God.
Word/logos = the chief one conveying the message/word of God.

Bottom line - a messenger's words are often referred to as the words of the one who sent the messenger; Jehovah sent Jesus - John 3:16; 17:3.

Forum List

Back