Hypothetical question for my fellow atheists

Czernobog

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2014
Corner of Chaos and Reason
So, I've a hypothetical for you guys that I am curious about. I maintain that my atheism is a premise, not a conclusion. When I say, "God does not exist", I am presenting a falsifiable premise that is only awaiting objective, verifiable evidence.

Now, with that in mind, let us say that evidence is discovered tomorrow. Now only do we have absolute proof of the existence of God, but we even have absolute evidence that the Christian version of God exists. Could you just "fall in line"? Could you just "become" a Christian.

See, I don't think I could. If we suddenly had the objective evidence necessary to prove that the Christian God exists, that would mean that we, also, have to accept that the Bible is not just a book of stories, and is, in fact, an accurate record of the nature of that God. And that record indicates that he drown the entire race, as far as man understood it to be at that time. This God demanded his favourites to commit genocide...twice. This God chose one person, and intentionally made his life miserable, just for sport (a wager with Lucifer). In short, the Bible portrays a God that is a sociopath.

I don't know that, even with irrefutable evidence that the Christian God exists, that I could become a follower of that God.

I have always said that, given evidence,. I would change my position from atheism to one of theism. However, if I learned that the Christian God was the "God of Creation", I don't think that theism would be a respectful one. I think my position would have to be, "Okay. God exists...and he's a dick," and would accept whatever consequences taking that position would engender.

So, what about you guys? If we suddenly had evidence that Christians had it right all along, could you just become "Good Little Christians"?

So, I've a hypothetical for you guys that I am curious about. I maintain that my atheism is a premise, not a conclusion. When I say, "God does not exist", I am presenting a falsifiable premise that is only awaiting objective, verifiable evidence.

Now, with that in mind, let us say that evidence is discovered tomorrow. Now only do we have absolute proof of the existence of God, but we even have absolute evidence that the Christian version of God exists. Could you just "fall in line"? Could you just "become" a Christian.

See, I don't think I could. If we suddenly had the objective evidence necessary to prove that the Christian God exists, that would mean that we, also, have to accept that the Bible is not just a book of stories, and is, in fact, an accurate record of the nature of that God. And that record indicates that he drown the entire race, as far as man understood it to be at that time. This God demanded his favourites to commit genocide...twice. This God chose one person, and intentionally made his life miserable, just for sport (a wager with Lucifer). In short, the Bible portrays a God that is a sociopath.

I don't know that, even with irrefutable evidence that the Christian God exists, that I could become a follower of that God.

I have always said that, given evidence,. I would change my position from atheism to one of theism. However, if I learned that the Christian God was the "God of Creation", I don't think that theism would be a respectful one. I think my position would have to be, "Okay. God exists...and he's a dick," and would accept whatever consequences taking that position would engender.

So, what about you guys? If we suddenly had evidence that Christians had it right all along, could you just become "Good Little Christians"?

I presented the same premise before myself. Would those who didn't believe in God or a specific book suddenly change course with irrefutable evidence? Think of all the fake news going on today, that is how people would react. They could see a man in person performing a miracle and they would scoff at it "there's some trickery going on here".

I wouldn't be surprised if the Messiah was tossed into prison as some sort of fraud, charged with a crime. This is why Faith is just that, Faith.

I presented the same premise before myself. Would those who didn't believe in God or a specific book suddenly change course with irrefutable evidence? Think of all the fake news going on today, that is how people would react. They could see a man in person performing a miracle and they would scoff at it "there's some trickery going on here".

I wouldn't be surprised if the Messiah was tossed into prison as some sort of fraud, charged with a crime. This is why Faith is just that, Faith.
See, I'm not actually talking about belief, though. I mean, in the face of evidence, belief isn't really a question, any more than belief would be a question in regards to gravity.

Rather it's a question of decisions. Does acceptance of existence require worship? And I am coming to the realisation that it doesn't. I can change my position as an atheist, with sufficient evidence, without agreeing to join a religious movement.

See, I'm not actually talking about belief, though. I mean, in the face of evidence, belief isn't really a question, any more than belief would be a question in regards to gravity.

Rather it's a question of decisions. Does acceptance of existence require worship? And I am coming to the realisation that it doesn't. I can change my position as an atheist, with sufficient evidence, without agreeing to join a religious movement.

I see. You would view this as submission and a loss of self identity. I suppose it would depend on my place in the universe and how I viewed it. I used to think the same when I was an Atheist, "why would God create me simply to worship him!?"

Personally, I wouldn't view it as submission but simply as the reality that in fact, yes, I am inferior in the grand scheme. Maybe if you found out that you only exist because of the sheer power of God to give you life, you might believe in some worship, if that is even the right word. Even moreso, if God were in fact more direct and threatened to take your life away! Or, deny your soul entry to heaven.

To me worship is a strong word even as a believer. I think believing and following the word of God is worship enough. There is a royal family across the pond that have historically demanded submission. That I could not do, but of course, I could certainly feign submission in the face of personal danger. I have always stated I would refuse to bow to the Queen or anyone on my own volition. This isn't a sleight against those who do, or her place in society, it's my personal belief in treating all humans with equal respect, until proven otherwise.

The Book of Job reminds me slightly of your situation in that God does many cruel things to Job, but he still accepts him. If you were Job you would take a stance and say "I refuse to follow you because you are evil". it's the most controversial of books, many believe it was a test of Job, others say it was to illustrate to Job that he is just a peon in the grand scheme and could not possibly understand Gods motivations.

Meh, this is a heavy subject, the whole universe, theology discussion. I need my morning tea yet :) I do understand your point though, this is really the kind of situation that's difficult to address in theory, because in practice, who knows how we might react in the face of such overwhelming and unbelievable facts. Imagine, the most daunting question civilizations has struggled with since the dawn of time and you now have your answer...it would have to change our complete outlook on life and even our own value system.

Absolutely. Show me a burning bush and I'm all in.

I would never serve the God of the bible. Ever.
He was a genocidal, selfish tyrant.

I see. You would view this as submission and a loss of self identity. I suppose it would depend on my place in the universe and how I viewed it. I used to think the same when I was an Atheist, "why would God create me simply to worship him!?"
Actually, it's not that at all. I don't define myself by my atheism. Atheism is just one very small premise that I hold. Discarding that position would not greatly alter who I am.

Personally, I wouldn't view it as submission but simply as the reality that in fact, yes, I am inferior in the grand scheme. Maybe if you found out that you only exist because of the sheer power of God to give you life, you might believe in some worship, if that is even the right word. Even moreso, if God were in fact more direct and threatened to take your life away! Or, deny your soul entry to heaven.
See, my insignificance isn't an issue. One does not need a God to recognise one's insignificance. One need only contemplate that vastness of space, and the immensity of all of time, since the universe came into being, to realise that one is just one insignificant little speck on a mediocre planet, in the outer ring of an unremarkable corner galaxy, that is similar to every other one of the billions of galaxies in the universe. Ego really isn't my concern. You seem to be missing the point entirely.

The question isn't about my ego, but about the nature of the God that is presented in the Bible. You see, most Christian apologists that I have encountered seem to think that the only obstacle to me becoming a Christian is overcoming my atheism. It isn't. Even were I to come to the conclusion that a Creator deity exists, I would spend the rest of my life trying to prove that that deity was anything not the Christian version. Because the Christian version is terrifying, horrible, psychotic, petty, cruel, and savage. I can't imagine why anyone would ever worship such a God.

Any Christian who wants me to come onboard, not only has to present me with objective evidence that Deity exists, but they have to reconcile with me the God of the Bible, and the God of "love, and inclusion" that they present. And they can't just point to the New Testament. Sorry. Christianity chose to include the Old testament in the book designed to present the nature of God. So, their going to need to reconcile their presentation with that God.

Last edited:

Any living being that would fit the description of God would need nothing from human beings, but might have a few suggestions about how to live in more perfect harmony with the realities of life.

God would want you to walk upright, not get down on your knees both literally and figuratively. But if you already have some evidence of his existence you already know that....

The promise is that the righteous will live peacefully under the shade of their own fig tree.

Last edited:

Your question is moot.

‘Proof’ of ‘god’ would eliminate the need for faith; and absent faith there is no religion.

There would be no Christian ‘religion’ to follow.

Your question is moot.

‘Proof’ of ‘god’ would eliminate the need for faith; and absent faith there is no religion.

There would be no Christian ‘religion’ to follow.
That's kinda why it's a hypothetical. The reasoning behind my question, as I have said, is that most Christian apologists I have encountered seem to think that the only obstacle to my becoming a Christian is overcoming my atheism. I am wondering if there is anyone for whom just overcoming their atheism would be enough to justify worshipping the God that is presented in the Christian Bible.

To me worship is a strong word even as a believer. I think believing and following the word of God is worship enough. There is a royal family across the pond that have historically demanded submission. That I could not do, but of course, I could certainly feign submission in the face of personal danger. I have always stated I would refuse to bow to the Queen or anyone on my own volition. This isn't a sleight against those who do, or her place in society, it's my personal belief in treating all humans with equal respect, until proven otherwise.

The Book of Job reminds me slightly of your situation in that God does many cruel things to Job, but he still accepts him. If you were Job you would take a stance and say "I refuse to follow you because you are evil". it's the most controversial of books, many believe it was a test of Job, others say it was to illustrate to Job that he is just a peon in the grand scheme and could not possibly understand Gods motivations.

Meh, this is a heavy subject, the whole universe, theology discussion. I need my morning tea yet :) I do understand your point though, this is really the kind of situation that's difficult to address in theory, because in practice, who knows how we might react in the face of such overwhelming and unbelievable facts. Imagine, the most daunting question civilizations has struggled with since the dawn of time and you now have your answer...it would have to change our complete outlook on life and even our own value system.

“To me worship is a strong word even as a believer. I think believing and following the word of God is worship enough.”

Actually, it’s the word of man, as there is no ‘god’ as perceived by theists.

Religion and ‘god’ are creations of man – imbued with man’s ignorance, fear, hate, and stupidity, and as a consequence unworthy of worship.

Given empirical proof, I would follow the party line, as it were. But the chances of a god being the one from the bible? 0.000000000000000 % chance. About the same chance as Casper the ghost being god. Mainly because the bible doesn't make any sense scientifically, for one.

Given empirical proof, I would follow the party line, as it were. But the chances of a god being the one from the bible? 0.000000000000000 % chance. About the same chance as Casper the ghost being god. Mainly because the bible doesn't make any sense scientifically, for one.
Really? So you would be okay worshipping the God that is presented in the Christian Bible? Presuming that your atheism was proven incorrect, I mean? I don't think I could. I could, and would, acknowledge his existence, but I could never support him, or the worship of him. Not based on his nature as presented in the Bible.

I could, and would, acknowledge his existence, but I could never support him, or the worship of him. Not based on his nature as presented in the Bible.

What if you could be shown that the image of the nature of God according to a literal interpretation conceals the nature of a living being with a nature not unlike yourself according to a deeper more thoughtful interpretation of the words used,not to mention more accurate translations as in the whole i am a jealous god thing...?

I am not asking if you would worship him but if you would conform to his teaching, which would amount to asking you if you would follow your own advice...

I could, and would, acknowledge his existence, but I could never support him, or the worship of him. Not based on his nature as presented in the Bible.

What if you could be shown that the image of the nature of God according to a literal interpretation conceals the nature of a living being with a nature not unlike yourself according to a deeper more thoughtful interpretation of the words used,not to mention more accurate translations as in the whole i am a jealous god thing...?

I am not asking if you would worship him but if you would conform to his teaching, which would amount to asking you if you would follow your own advice...
It couldn't. 1 Samuel, Chapter 15. There is simply no way to interpret that as anything less that the God of Christianity commanding genocide. That alone, makes the God of Christians unworthy of worship to me.

The raison d'etre of religion is to have faith – to have a sincere believe in something without evidence or proof; this is how theists justify their religion, how they recruit adherents, and how they warrant the punishment of transgressors.

If there were ‘proof’ that ‘god’ existed, and that Christianity was the ‘true’ religion, then Christians would have no way to determine whether a new Christian was a follower because he’s a true disciple of Christ or because he’s an insincere opportunist ‘playing it safe’ by becoming a Christian, with complete disregard for the teachings of Christ and no intent of living a life devoted to Christ.

Consequently, Christianity would cease to exist as a religion, and other religions would come to an end as well, having the lost the element of faith.

It couldn't. 1 Samuel, Chapter 15. There is simply no way to interpret that as anything less that the God of Christianity commanding genocide. That alone, makes the God of Christians unworthy of worship to me.

Ahem, that was not the God of the NT....remember? love thy enemy and all that? Pray for those who despitefully use you? turn the other cheek?

Last edited:
The raison d'etre of religion is to have faith – to have a sincere believe in something without evidence or proof; this is how theists justify their religion, how they recruit adherents, and how they warrant the punishment of transgressors.

If there were ‘proof’ that ‘god’ existed, and that Christianity was the ‘true’ religion, then Christians would have no way to determine whether a new Christian was a follower because he’s a true disciple of Christ or because he’s an insincere opportunist ‘playing it safe’ by becoming a Christian, with complete disregard for the teachings of Christ and no intent of living a life devoted to Christ.

Consequently, Christianity would cease to exist as a religion, and other religions would come to an end as well, having the lost the element of faith.
I see your point. However, that was kinda the point of my thought experiment in the OP. Given the proof you needed, would you be able to, in good conscience, "play it safe", and become a Christian, considering what you know of the nature of the Christian God as presented in the bible?

I don't think I could. I value my integrity too much. I couldn't just ignore what I know of the nature of Divinity, as described in the Christian Bible.

Forum List

Back