Hundreds Show up at Florida School Board Meeting. Dems, how does that make you feel?

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas

Turns out that a lot of the people who showed up this time showed up to oppose the investigation of the teacher who showed a gay themed movie to 5th graders. The story says "teachers community members," which means that they were not parents, and likely many were union folk sent to pad the numbers.

Not that there is anything wrong with that. Public schools are funded by taxpayers, not by parents. Sure there is some overlap, but a lot of non-parent taxpayers pony up for other people's kids, so they should have a say.

Florida teachers and community members packed a Hernando County School Board meeting Tuesday amid national furor over an investigation into a fifth-grade teacher who showed a Disney movie in her classroom.

Jenna Barbee, a teacher at Winding Waters K-8, alleged earlier this month that Hernando County School Board member Shannon Rodriguez reported her to the Florida Department of Education for showing her students the 2022 movie "Strange World" – one of the first Disney films to have an openly LGBTQ+ character in a central role.

The school board and state department of education both opened an investigation into Barbee, who has argued that the Disney movie related to a class Earth science lesson and did not show sexually inappropriate content. The animated movie follows a family of explorers on an adventure to save a plant that is their society’s source of energy.

Keep in mind that this teacher had already quit when she made the decision to show that movie. The district investigation only found that she failed to clear the movie with an administrator. The district did not admonish her in any way about the gay character. Both the district and the Florida DOE are required to open investigations if a parent complains.

While the school board's meeting agenda did not contain an item directly addressing Barbee's case, public commenters tied it to other agenda items focused on book bans and personnel recommendations.

Lisa Masserio, president of the Hernando Classroom Teachers' Association, said Tuesday's agenda had 33 resignations of "educators leaving our district, possibly leaving teaching entirely, after what they've experienced this year."

Now, that part is interesting. The "community members" insisted on talking about something not on the board's agenda. I read all the way to the bottom of the story looking for the part where the board had police throw them out or assault them, as other boards have done when parents complain and do not immediately shut up when told to.

I also did not see the part about FBI agents taking down license plates so that the attendees can be put on the terrorist watch list with the special threat tag created for people who speak at school boards.

Yet another example that even when Republicans disagree with you, they will let you speak. Dems, not so much.

Seriously, Dems: Do you think the FBI will except all who attended this particular board meeting? Or did they have enough staff to listen to the speakers and follow any non-Democrats to their cars so they would only target them? I'm starting to wonder if the FBI just has too much funding if they have staff for that kind of thing.

Last edited:
I particularly like this quote from the article:
Hundreds of teachers, students, and community members crowded the school board's meeting Tuesday night to speak on the controversy and related state education policies, such as the Parental Rights in Education Act or what critics call the "Don't Say Gay" law.

Over 100 people registered to speak during public comment and many shared their concerns over the school district's high numbers of teacher vacancies, with one high school student saying teachers are "scared to say anything that will get them fired."

"You need to listen to us when we say that the rainbow in our classroom is not indoctrinating us, seeing two girls together in a Disney movie is not brainwashing us, and your policies are not protecting us from anything," another high school student said during the meeting.

They haven't been instructed on what to believe yet, but you can bet there will be a few extra wet beds over it.

bed-wettingN1.png

Trumpsters have definitely become hyper-politically active. It's their freaking LIVES now, as they struggle to save America from Evil and Satan and Hillary 'n stuff.

No doubt.
Did you see Republicans sunk millions of dollars into this local state election of something like being on the school board? Because from there they will push their anti woke nonsense.

/——-/ The days of Conservatives rolling over and playing dead are over. Get used to it.
Well it is interesting. You lost abortion, gay marriage. But now you guys are fighting back. It's like Russia and Ukraine. You are Ukraine. Russia took your city of abortion and gay marriage but now you are slowly trying to take back the ground you lost in Kiev/gay rights.

Well it is interesting. You lost abortion, gay marriage. But now you guys are fighting back. It's like Russia and Ukraine. You are Ukraine. Russia took your city of abortion and gay marriage but now you are slowly trying to take back the ground you lost in Kiev/gay rights.
/——-/ Geeeze Sealybobo, that word salad makes no sense even by your low standards.

Turns out that a lot of the people who showed up this time showed up to oppose the investigation of the teacher who showed a gay themed movie to 5th graders. The story says "teachers community members," which means that they were not parents, and likely many were union folk sent to pad the numbers.

Not that there is anything wrong with that. Public schools are funded by taxpayers, not by parents. Sure there is some overlap, but a lot of non-parent taxpayers pony up for other people's kids, so they should have a say.

Florida teachers and community members packed a Hernando County School Board meeting Tuesday amid national furor over an investigation into a fifth-grade teacher who showed a Disney movie in her classroom.

Jenna Barbee, a teacher at Winding Waters K-8, alleged earlier this month that Hernando County School Board member Shannon Rodriguez reported her to the Florida Department of Education for showing her students the 2022 movie "Strange World" – one of the first Disney films to have an openly LGBTQ+ character in a central role.

The school board and state department of education both opened an investigation into Barbee, who has argued that the Disney movie related to a class Earth science lesson and did not show sexually inappropriate content. The animated movie follows a family of explorers on an adventure to save a plant that is their society’s source of energy.

Keep in mind that this teacher had already quit when she made the decision to show that movie. The district investigation only found that she failed to clear the movie with an administrator. The district did not admonish her in any way about the gay character. Both the district and the Florida DOE are required to open investigations if a parent complains.

While the school board's meeting agenda did not contain an item directly addressing Barbee's case, public commenters tied it to other agenda items focused on book bans and personnel recommendations.

Lisa Masserio, president of the Hernando Classroom Teachers' Association, said Tuesday's agenda had 33 resignations of "educators leaving our district, possibly leaving teaching entirely, after what they've experienced this year."

Now, that part is interesting. The "community members" insisted on talking about something not on the board's agenda. I read all the way to the bottom of the story looking for the part where the board had police throw them out or assault them, as other boards have done when parents complain and do not immediately shut up when told to.

I also did not see the part about FBI agents taking down license plates so that the attendees can be put on the terrorist watch list with the special threat tag created for people who speak at school boards.

Yet another example that even when Republicans disagree with you, they will let you speak. Dems, not so much.

Seriously, Dems: Do you think the FBI will except all who attended this particular board meeting? Or did they have enough staff to listen to the speakers and follow any non-Democrats to their cars so they would only target them? I'm starting to wonder if the FBI just has too much funding if they have staff for that kind of thing.

Sounds like a good community school board meeting. Looks like the community thinks Rodrigues would better serve the community if she resigned from the board. Apparently, the PG movie was just that a PG movie and was OK, after all. Sounds like Republican attacks on teachers and public education in Florida is progressing well, and teachers are quitting at a rate, never seen before, so the only place to get an education in the state may become private schools. It would not surprise me if many of the public school teachers quitting showed up with jobs a private schools next year. Since Trump did finish killing public education with the hiring of the Amway lady, if public education is to be destroyed, it will have to be destroyed at the state level, and they are doing a good job of destroying it down there. Next, maybe the state can do away with local school boards. Then there would be no local school board meeting, where people get to speak out against what the political right wing is doing to the schools, the teachers, the students, etc, with meetings only at the state capital, where they can better be controlled, and rejection of the right wing agenda and radical right wing trouble makers, kept silent. I don't really care. It is not my state. Who knows? After DeSantis loses the 2024 primary, maybe Florida will back off the state interference at the local level. Or, maybe he won't. It is not like he has kids in the public school system.

/——-/ Geeeze Sealybobo, that word salad makes no sense even by your low standards.
What else are you not happy about? Segregation? Biracial marriage? What else do you miss? We overheard Republicans recently missing the days they could get away with lynching blacks.

They used to say this isn't your fathers Republican party but now I think it is.

Teachers think they are special and above scrutiny

But they are wrong

Sounds like a good community school board meeting. Looks like the community thinks Rodrigues would better serve the community if she resigned from the board. Apparently, the PG movie was just that a PG movie and was OK, after all. Sounds like Republican attacks on teachers and public education in Florida is progressing well, and teachers are quitting at a rate, never seen before, so the only place to get an education in the state may become private schools. It would not surprise me if many of the public school teachers quitting showed up with jobs a private schools next year. Since Trump did finish killing public education with the hiring of the Amway lady, if public education is to be destroyed, it will have to be destroyed at the state level, and they are doing a good job of destroying it down there. Next, maybe the state can do away with local school boards. Then there would be no local school board meeting, where people get to speak out against what the political right wing is doing to the schools, the teachers, the students, etc, with meetings only at the state capital, where they can better be controlled, and rejection of the right wing agenda and radical right wing trouble makers, kept silent. I don't really care. It is not my state. Who knows? After DeSantis loses the 2024 primary, maybe Florida will back off the state interference at the local level. Or, maybe he won't. It is not like he has kids in the public school system.
I also like when school board meetings are open forums where people are encouraged to participate. I hope the Democrats will reconsider their support for the FBI making them opportunities to gather intelligence on perceived political enemies, and their support for school boards that shut down free speech.

Trumpsters have definitely become hyper-politically active. It's their freaking LIVES now, as they struggle to save America from Evil and Satan and Hillary 'n stuff.

No doubt.
Apparently, that's threatening and terrorism and stuff because reasons and just sit down and shut up!

Did you see Republicans sunk millions of dollars into this local state election of something like being on the school board? Because from there they will push their anti woke nonsense.
Hmmm, imagine that, people being active politically at the local level, being effective to change policy. How dare they?

I also like when school board meetings are open forums where people are encouraged to participate. I hope the Democrats will reconsider their support for the FBI making them opportunities to gather intelligence on perceived political enemies, and their support for school boards that shut down free speech.
I wouldn't know. I have not heard of the FBI showing up at Jackson/Madison County, TN school board meetings, but then we have never had people threatening the people elected to the school board either, so there is that.

Forum List

Back