Humans - Good Start

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
This is a new British show on AMC. I am fascinated by the premise, so I gave the premier a try. So far so good.

Basically robots are created to do all the manual labor in society. Including being 24/7 house maids, chefs, nannies etc. They are not supposed to have a subconscious, ability to think or feel or question humans, but an early protagonist gives some of them these traits.

This concept frightens me because what happens when this becomes a reality, and it will be a reality? This is automation at it's fullest. How will people make a living? What happens if they become smart and revolt ( Aka I robot, terminator etc)? Why seek a mate, when you can create a gorgeous female (or male) and program her to have the exact personality traits you desire, in love, sympathy, deviation and loyalty?

This show appears to explore these topics.

Humanity would do well to evolve into gods themselves before attempting to play God via artificial intelligence, otherwise it would be like the Garden of Eden... except instead of God exiling Adam and Eve, Adam and Eve would straight up become gods and destroy their Maker after absorbing the fruits of the tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, and the Tree of Life...

The original Swedish version was quite explicit in using them as sex substitutes. The Brit version is a bit milder.

This is a new British show on AMC. I am fascinated by the premise, so I gave the premier a try. So far so good.

Basically robots are created to do all the manual labor in society. Including being 24/7 house maids, chefs, nannies etc. They are not supposed to have a subconscious, ability to think or feel or question humans, but an early protagonist gives some of them these traits.

This concept frightens me because what happens when this becomes a reality, and it will be a reality? This is automation at it's fullest. How will people make a living? What happens if they become smart and revolt ( Aka I robot, terminator etc)? Why seek a mate, when you can create a gorgeous female (or male) and program her to have the exact personality traits you desire, in love, sympathy, deviation and loyalty?

This show appears to explore these topics.
Thanks for the tip, that shows looks interesting.

After your post, all I remember is "gorgeous female and program her to have the exact personality traits you desire, in love, sympathy, deviation and loyalty"

I'm robot fodder just waiting to happen.

i think it will be long after we are gone before you see Androids like Lt.Com. Data walking around....

I think we see them in our lifetime. We have already programmed machines to do things on their own.

I don't think we will be young men when it happens. However, unless there is a global disaster like a nuclear war or plague, then I see them within the next 30 years.

i think it will be long after we are gone before you see Androids like Lt.Com. Data walking around....
Maybe not quite as long as you'd think.
If Moore's Law is still valid, and there's an actual need for a "product" like the OP talked about, I can see it happening fairly (10-20 years at most) soon.

I think we see them in our lifetime. We have already programmed machines to do things on their own.

I don't think we will be young men when it happens. However, unless there is a global disaster like a nuclear war or plague, then I see them within the next 30 years.
an android as advanced as Data was?......i dont think so....

To proceed with the Star Trek theme...
How many things were shown in Star Trek (all the series') that were thought to be nearly impossibly futuristic when they first aired, do we have now - only 50 years from the first episode?
Compact storage media (CDs/DVDs), communicators (smartphones do even more), replicators (not quite there, but almost, with 3D printing), tricorders...

Rapid advances are being made on robotic chassis, and computing power is almost sufficient today. I think that the only two topics that really need a breakthrough that would permit an actual "Data" are reliable compact power sources and AI. Either of those could come at any time.

How many things were shown in Star Trek (all the series') that were thought to be nearly impossibly futuristic when they first aired, do we have now - only 50 years from the first episode?
Compact storage media (CDs/DVDs), communicators (smartphones do even more), replicators (not quite there, but almost, with 3D printing), tricorders...

Rapid advances are being made on robotic chassis, and computing power is almost sufficient today. I think that the only two topics that really need a breakthrough that would permit an actual "Data" are reliable compact power sources and AI. Either of those could come at any time.
i think developing a cellphone and CD's are somewhat simpler than creating an Android as complex as Data....the body may come in time lets see how good they get with the brain....remember Data was considered sentient...

The original Swedish version was quite explicit in using them as sex substitutes. The Brit version is a bit milder.

Well, let's see if we get to see that Gemma Chan chick naked.

Okay, having watched the first episode, I think that the character dynamic of the family is interesting. the mother is a career woman who doesn't have time for her family, and the husband insists up and down he's doing it for her while he hides the disk for "Adult Options".

"Yes, honey, I brought in a younger, hotter woman into the house who is totally compliant, the kids respond to better and is totally down with the housework, and I did it all for you, babe!!!"

I think it has the potential to be interesting or it has the potential to engage in some really ham-fisted social satire.

Well, let's see if we get to see that Gemma Chan chick naked.
Amen brother. We can agree on something.

Okay, having watched the first episode, I think that the character dynamic of the family is interesting. the mother is a career woman who doesn't have time for her family, and the husband insists up and down he's doing it for her while he hides the disk for "Adult Options".
Not to mention the rebellious teen daughter that views then use of the android as slave labor. Since they are so human-like are they indeed slaves? Is it human to treat human-like robots that way? What happens if/when they become self-aware and revolt (a question presented in the first episode)?

"Yes, honey, I brought in a younger, hotter woman into the house who is totally compliant, the kids respond to better and is totally down with the housework, and I did it all for you, babe!!!"
It would solve a ton of problems? Two parents need to work, so the android, gets the kids ready, cooks them food, drives them to school, comes home cleans and then get dinner ready before both parents get home.

How many wives state they are too tired to sex? And home many men complain that they had much more sex before they get married. Screwing a android frees one from the threat of STDs (no fluid transfers) and unwanted pregnancy. It would be a form of masturbation. People wouldn't necessary feel the need to cheat with an actual human being, women wouldn't be prostitutes anymore, no more sex slavery and the spread of STDs would decrease.

I think it has the potential to be interesting or it has the potential to engage in some really ham-fisted social satire.
I love the concept and after one episode I am looking forward to the 2nd episode.

i think developing a cellphone and CD's are somewhat simpler than creating an Android as complex as Data....the body may come in time lets see how good they get with the brain....remember Data was considered sentient...
True but think of how much tech has improved since the 90s. Unless an global disaster occurs, we will see androids like the ones on Humans by 2050.

MV5BNzQyMDEyNjYzNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTg3NjY3NTE@._V1_SY317_CR100,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

I watched the first episode last night and my immediate response was that it's a smutty version of several Isaac Asimov robot novels with a totally weird ending.

Good thing it wasn't the Swedish version.

MV5BNzQyMDEyNjYzNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTg3NjY3NTE@._V1_SY317_CR100,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

I watched the first episode last night and my immediate response was that it's a smutty version of several Isaac Asimov robot novels with a totally weird ending.

Good premise though. In reality if they make hot life like robots, people are going to have sex with them.

Good premise though. In reality if they make hot life like robots, people are going to have sex with them.

Which begs the question why would you make them all look like JC Penny Models? (They did have the one nurse android who didn't look like that, but most of them did.)

Even the ones doing mundane things like picking fruit or working in factories.

I can see why you'd want them to be human like, to utilize tools made for humans and such. But most of them weren't doing things that needed to look that good while they were doing them.

Asimov made some interesting presumptions throughout his myriad of novels about robots. As suggested, those that needed to be in close proximity with humans were built to be humanoid. Labor bots were built for the maximum efficiency for their tasks.

One thing not openly mentioned in Humans is whether these are robots or androids. There's a huge difference.

Asimov made some interesting presumptions throughout his myriad of novels about robots. As suggested, those that needed to be in close proximity with humans were built to be humanoid. Labor bots were built for the maximum efficiency for their tasks.

One thing not openly mentioned in Humans is whether these are robots or androids. There's a huge difference.
well obviously the 5 that the guy is looking for are androids......

Forum List

Back