Humanities African Origins Under Scrutiny

Is this the "missing link"?
I don’t really think there will ever be a “the” missing link. Probably just a more complete picture. But the odds of a specimen from every discernible change, or stage of development; is highly unlikely.

From the rubric article:
The discovery of the creature, named Graecopithecus freybergi, and nicknameded ‘El Graeco' by scientists, proves our ancestors were already starting to evolve in Europe 200,000 years before the earliest African hominid​

I don't particularly care from where on the planet emerged the line of primates that evolved to become modern humans, I think the discovery, though noteworthy, is far from conclusive as goes whether humanity emerged from somewhere in Europe. What would be conclusive on that point is evidence that Graecopithecus is not merely an early hominid, but that Graecopithecus is the early hominid line that led to the formation of and did indeed become Homo sapiens sapiens.

We know that creatures had to begin somewhere, but we also know that those that left that starting place can die out in whatever be place to which they migrated. That could very well be the case with Graecopithecus. If it is the case, Graecopithecus is not the early hominid that gave rise to modern humans. It's one thing to find an older form of hominid; given time, the right circumstances and so on, that has a reasonable chance of happening. It's entirely another to say that older form of hominid one has discovered is also the one that evolved into modern humans.

This is huge and another example of why 'It has not been proven by science' is completely meaningless.

Science can only approach the Truth, but everything it says meantime is only the latest model and eventually become obsolete and known to have been a flawed model all along much later.

9.7-million-year-old teeth discovery in Germany could re-write human history

DW:No less has been said about this tooth than that the history of mankind now has to be rewritten…

HL: Well you know it's a question that's been discussed for decades. New discoveries lead to new insights that may contribute to our knowledge about our own history, and this finding has that potential because the great ape species has a relationship to Homo sapiens.

DW: So what's the big groundbreaking knowledge here?

HL: The groundbreaking knowledge is that we have comparable finds only in East Africa. And these are much, much younger. These species are well known as Ardi and Lucy, and their canines look very similar to the one here from Eppelsheim, but they are only two, three, four or five million years old, and Eppelsheim is almost 10. So the question is: What has happened?

DW: You mean - how this great ape got up to the Rhine valley, or whether the species in Africa came from Europe?

HL: Yeah, we have similar species in Africa, but we don't know where this great ape came from. We do not have comparable finds from southern Europe, even from in between maybe Greece or Turkey. From there, we know of great ape fossils, but they all look much different. And so it's a great mystery.

DW: So this is the lone Rhineland monkey whose teeth have been found. Can the general public see the discovery?

HL: Until Sunday, yes, they are in our exhibition in the museum in Mainz. And most likely about mid November they will be on display in a great exhibition in the Landesmuseum in Mainz.

DW: Professor Lutz, can you give us a sense of how important this finding was to you personally?

HL: Well, we've been digging at this site for 17 years now. And when we started, of course everybody knew it had the potential to yield hominoid fossils. We were always waiting for such a find. But at the end of 2016, we decided to finish the excavation and just in the last second, if you will, these two teeth came to light. We really weren't expecting such a tremendous discovery. So for us now it's clear we have to continue, and we will continue. And, well, I think it's a big luck to experience such an exciting story. I did not expect it.​

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-22_9-33-36.png
    upload_2017-10-22_9-33-36.png
    140.6 KB · Views: 52
9.7-million-year-old teeth discovery in Germany could re-write human history

So many leaps to preserve the faith that humans evolved from "Inferior" creatures.

When you start with the wrong conclusion, you must make the theory fit the "evidence."

There were APES in Europe a long, long time ago. That is all.

From the rubric article:
The discovery of the creature, named Graecopithecus freybergi, and nicknameded ‘El Graeco' by scientists, proves our ancestors were already starting to evolve in Europe 200,000 years before the earliest African hominid​

I don't particularly care from where on the planet emerged the line of primates that evolved to become modern humans, I think the discovery, though noteworthy, is far from conclusive as goes whether humanity emerged from somewhere in Europe. What would be conclusive on that point is evidence that Graecopithecus is not merely an early hominid, but that Graecopithecus is the early hominid line that led to the formation of and did indeed become Homo sapiens sapiens.

We know that creatures had to begin somewhere, but we also know that those that left that starting place can die out in whatever be place to which they migrated. That could very well be the case with Graecopithecus. If it is the case, Graecopithecus is not the early hominid that gave rise to modern humans. It's one thing to find an older form of hominid; given time, the right circumstances and so on, that has a reasonable chance of happening. It's entirely another to say that older form of hominid one has discovered is also the one that evolved into modern humans.

The FACT is we know now that there has been climatic change that had the Sahara a green forest covered region for a few thousand years and Europe not mostly covered in ice for a few thousand inter-galacial years.

Human beings have migrated to and from and back and forth between Europe and Africa for hundreds of thousands of year and probably millions of years.

It is the churn that made us what we are, not any one specific region.

But where have human beings lived for most of its existence during the various Ice Ages that lasted fro hundreds of thousands of years at a time? Mostly the mid east, Mediteranean, Ethipoia, Persia and India where the great human tug-of-war has always had its feet planted.

Science can only approach the Truth, but everything it says meantime is only the latest model and eventually become obsolete and known to have been a flawed model all along much later.
But where have human beings lived for most of its existence during the various Ice Ages that lasted fro hundreds of thousands of years at a time? Mostly the mid east, Mediteranean, Ethipoia, Persia and India where the great human tug-of-war has always had its feet planted.
Well, really, in the whole of science, some things are figured out and some are not. Figuring out from where and when humans first appeared and from whence they evolved is one of those things that isn't fully determined. Be that as it is, one must "go with" what is known to the extent it is known, and build on it. As goes the specific matter here under discussion, I'm not sure there will be much to make of make of it other than discovering the "final" details purely for the sake of knowing them and understanding whether there be anything different about the pattern of human evolution as contrasted with what we know and have observed about that of other creatures.

I mean, really. Short of finding conclusive, or at least probative, evidence that humans were deliberately placed on earth by some alien civilization, what difference does it really make wherefrom humans first appeared (that is, assuming they didn't appear concurrently and independently in multiple places at around the same time) and which early hominid line(s) coalesced and/or evolved into modern humans?

To wit, there's nothing saying that modern humans are necessarily the result of the evolution of a linear progression. It may well be that we are the product not of A evolving into B and so on, but rather that we are the product of the interbreeding between/among A and B, or A, B and C, or B, C and F, or some other permutation. Humanity has willfully created exactly that sort of outcome with a variety of plants and animals -- dogs, cats, horses, cow, and so on. The deliberacy of our doing such a thing doesn't preclude a similar process and outcome from happening naturally, particularly given what we know about the way seeming minor and major mutations can provide advantages that facilitate a creature's flourishing more so than its otherwise unmutated ancestors and peers.

If we constrain to linear models our quest discovery human origins, the so-called missing link will never be found if indeed we are the product of a commingling of early hominid subspecies. If indeed the multivariate model be what happened, it may thus be inaccurate to assert that modern humans evolved from any specific region of the planet.

To wit, there's nothing saying that modern humans are necessarily the result of the evolution of a linear progression. It may well be that we are the product not of A evolving into B and so on, but rather that we are the product of the interbreeding between/among A and B, or A, B and C, or B, C and F, or some other permutation. Humanity has willfully created exactly that sort of outcome with a variety of plants and animals -- dogs, cats, horses, cow, and so on. The deliberacy of our doing such a thing doesn't preclude a similar process and outcome from happening naturally, particularly given what we know about the way seeming minor and major mutations can provide advantages that facilitate a creature's flourishing more so than its otherwise unmutated ancestors and peers.

If we constrain to linear models our quest discovery human origins, the so-called missing link will never be found if indeed we are the product of a commingling of early hominid subspecies. If indeed the multivariate model be what happened, it may thus be inaccurate to assert that modern humans evolved from any specific region of the planet.

I totally agree wit that. We have had small groups of hunter gathering tribes scattered across three continents and they tended to be insular when they could get away with it, but this was unhealthy for them with the inbreeding and deficient local diets. Trading from one region to the next has always benefited mankind and strengthened the species, by a process of heterosis on the local breeds. Thus we have climbed to what we were in the 1980s and have degenerated ever since.

Hey I cant help it if American Baby Boomers were the apex of human evolution. :)

New fossil information is helping mankind get a broader picture of the development of modern man. This new European hominid species, dates older than the oldest known African specimen. But it’s been found in Europe. Very interesting...
Europe was the birthplace of mankind, not Africa, scientists find
Thats not homo sapiens sapiens which appeared first in Africa. The tip off is that the skeleton is 7 million years old. Homo Sapiens is at most 200k years old. There were all kinds of hominids running around the planet. That doesnt mean mankind begin in europe. :laugh:

Note they say pre-human not human

Graecopithecus freybergi: Oldest Hominin Lived in Europe, not Africa | Paleoanthropology | Sci-News.com

“We were surprised by our results, as pre-humans were previously known only from sub-Saharan Africa,” said co-author Jochen Fuss, a PhD student at the University of Tübingen.

“Furthermore, Graecopithecus freybergi is several hundred thousand years older than the oldest potential pre-human from Africa, the 6-7 million-year-old Sahelanthropus tchadensis from Chad.”

Last edited:

I totally agree wit that. We have had small groups of hunter gathering tribes scattered across three continents and they tended to be insular when they could get away with it, but this was unhealthy for them with the inbreeding and deficient local diets. Trading from one region to the next has always benefited mankind and strengthened the species, by a process of heterosis on the local breeds. Thus we have climbed to what we were in the 1980s and have degenerated ever since.

Hey I cant help it if American Baby Boomers were the apex of human evolution. :)
Baby boomers are a blight on American culture, and history. The nation, and world will be better of when they're gone...

`
`

One discovery is not about to turn the academic/scientific community around, after at least one hundred years of multiple discoveries, research and studies.

It's not a contest. It's discovering history. That's all.
I disagree. The link is worded in a way to fool the ignorant into claiming homo sapiens sapiens begin in europe. My link is way more scientific. How can europe be "the birthplace of mankind" if homo sapiens arose first in Africa?
My comment was directed at both of you. It is not a contest as to which 'race' is better. The concept of race is a subjective, social, man made one, not a scientific, objective one. Scientists, hypothetically, are not interested in proving the superiority of one race over another but just in learning the truth. That we have believed and may still believe humans began on the African continent does not equate somehow to a superiority of a race because the concept of race is so specious. Making racial superiority, either of you, the issue is foolish and limiting.

There is some support for the hypothesis. We know that the vast majority of evolution occurs in the temperate zones as that is where the outside stress for evolution occurs. Equatorial regions are notorious for being very stable as regards climate. Climate change is clearly the engine of evolutionary change. However, the broad claim made in the article needs a lot more support to be viable.

Basing an entire rewrite of proto human history on a tooth, and a jawbone is the height of hubris.

It's not a contest. It's discovering history. That's all.
I disagree. The link is worded in a way to fool the ignorant into claiming homo sapiens sapiens begin in europe. My link is way more scientific. How can europe be "the birthplace of mankind" if homo sapiens arose first in Africa?
My comment was directed at both of you. It is not a contest as to which 'race' is better. The concept of race is a subjective, social, man made one, not a scientific, objective one. Scientists, hypothetically, are not interested in proving the superiority of one race over another but just in learning the truth. That we have believed and may still believe humans began on the African continent does not equate somehow to a superiority of a race because the concept of race is so specious. Making racial superiority, either of you, the issue is foolish and limiting.
My comment had nothing to do with who was better. It was correcting the intentionally misleading information in the OP. All I did was post the fact that homo sapiens first arose in Africa. How is that making it a contest?

From the rubric article:

The FACT is we know now that there has been climatic change that had the Sahara a green forest covered region for a few thousand years and Europe not mostly covered in ice for a few thousand inter-galacial years.

Human beings have migrated to and from and back and forth between Europe and Africa for hundreds of thousands of year and probably millions of years.

It is the churn that made us what we are, not any one specific region.

It is the churn that made us what we are, not any one specific region. But where have human beings lived for most of its existence during the various Ice Ages that lasted fro hundreds of thousands of years at a time? Mostly the mid east, Mediteranean, Ethipoia, Persia [collectively and broadly called, EMEA] and India where the great human tug-of-war has always had its feet planted.

[See the red text edit I made to your remark.]

I think it safe to say that the Graecopithecus discovery establishes that the progression of "churning," as you put it, happened over a broader area than was previously known and the incremental changes that eventually transformed primates/hominids into modern humans commenced earlier than was previously known. That's useful information for it gives us a new puzzle piece regarding rates of evolutionary change.

The discovery of Graecopithecus gives rise to a variety of new questions, not the least of which include:
  • Did Graecopithecus evolve in Europe? Or did it evolve elsewhere and migrate to Europe?
    • Depending on the answer to those questions, is it reasonable to hypothesize that human precursors dwelt in other places on the planet other than EMEA and in turn seek evidence of same?
  • Is the Graecopithecus finding material enough to militate for modifying our working evolutionary change models, given our new knowledge about how early some modern human traits appeared? If it is, how should the models be adjusted?
  • What new premises, inferences and conclusions become plausible, or more plausible than before, given the Graecopithecus discovery? What premises and inferences have thus become less plausible?
I am neither a geneticist nor an paleoanthropologist, nor some blend of the two, so I have no idea of what be correct answers to those and other questions the Graecopithecus discovery necessarily forces one to evaluate and answer as best as possible.

Forum List

Back