How will we defend ourselves from a Incoming Asteroid if Obama Rids us of Nukes.

US Army Retired and PI can be the Armageddon type crew who will have to guide the nuke to take out the asteroid.

God speed fellas. :lol:

How???

cartoon005.jpg

Can anyone give a serious response. What if the asteroid today was actually headed towards us. What would the solution be to deflect it?

Man are ya seriously asking these people to know anything about much?

They've absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Perhaps you should go find some data; which is readily available; wherein you can point to the studies which speak to the use of Nuclear warheads as a means to push Near-earth orbiting bodies off of a colliding trajectory.

Ya have to understand that these people are, for the most part, idiots.

One doesn't come to believe that the best solution where the question is one of right and wrong; is to compromise with wrong... and have much to say about... much. (That's how they grew to be Progressives... they stopped growing, intellectually speaking.)

Says the party where Palin and Bachmann are considered rockstars.

Yeah...

And here's how this works...

I note that you; a Progressive; have implied some intellectual superiority over the two respective examples...

I then challenge you to post a position which both or either of them actually stated... distinct from the mythical revisions projected by Leftist dis-information websites... and state a well reasoned, logically valid, intellectually sound argument contesting that or those positions...

You then fail to do so, thus conceding TO ME, the point wherein I noted the regressive nature of the Progressive intellect.

Now get to work and show us what you're made of...

Now I realize that NASA doesn't BEGIN to stand up as an authority of issues regarding planetary defense from asteroids and meteors and such... at least when compared to the intellects of the addled minded Moderate Centrist Mainstream Progressives... who've brought us such mind-bending success stories as HMOs, Amtrac, The Federal Reserve and of course, the Post Office...

But at the risk of scathing admonishment, I'd thought I'd dish out a light dose of humiliation, through the posting of the minutes of a NASA Conference, where the worlds leading authorities got together and discussed the problem...

As is nearly always the case... "All these people CAN BE WRONG... and they usually are..."

According to the actual experts in the field... the threat which has been soundly poo-poo'd does exist... the experts note that it is a mathematical certainty that the earth is going to be in the direct course of a planet killing body, the only question is when.

Now it turns out that the only actual solution which the PLANET could HOPE to advance, against such a threat, at least at this point, IS the Nuclear option.

And who's working the hardest to destroy our only viable means of deflecting such a threat from literally destroying our 'environment?'... Those most prone to harping upon the moral imperative of SAVING THE ENVIRONMENT...

Thus what we have here is yet another example of the Progressive Proliferation of REGRESSION...

Enjoy...

(The author of the OP should not expect that this incontrovertible refuting evidence will be accepted as such... Again, they're idiots. So one has to just accept that and enjoy the simple pleasure of kicking them around, with them being helpless to do anything about it... OH, I know that it seems like it would be more fun if they realized the humiliation; but if they were capable of learning, they wouldn't be Moderate, Centrist, Mainstream Progressives...)

PLANETARY DEFENSE CONFERENCE PART 2: MITIGATION PROPOSALS

"Harris emphasized that asteroid mitigation is not a job for leftover ICBMs and warheads, that experimental nuclear explosions in space are politically difficult, and of course the cost of risk prevention should not exceed its value.

Several speakers discussed the use of nuclear explosives either for destruction or deflection. David Dearborn (Livermore National Lab) discussed coupling of nuclear blast energy into NEOs. Nuclear explosives provide by far the most efficient packaging of energy (a million times more energy than the same mass of chemical explosive). For deflection, he noted that only by applying the force vector along the trajectory do we change the total angular momentum of the NEA and provide a shift that is cumulative over many orbits. Forces applied in other directions to change inclination or eccentricity do not produce cumulative effects (except in unusual resonant return cases).

With conservation of momentum, we can readily calculate how much reaction mass must be ejected based on mass of asteroid, velocity of material ejected, and required change in asteroid velocity. For deflection, must keep delta v much less than escape velocity. Standoff explosion heats rock and vaporizes material to exert reaction force. The explosion needs to be within 1 radius or we lose most of energy. For a delta-v of 1 cm/sec on kilometer-scale object, we need to vaporize the top 2 cm. X-rays dont penetrate deep enough, but neutrons are more penetrating and give centimeters of heating. We could deflect a 1 km object by cm/s with a few megatons explosion of a neutron-rich nuclear device. "

Last edited:
Personally, I'm much more concerned about having nukes to prevent the Kanamits from harvesting humans than I am about asteroids smashing into the earth.

*succulently*

boe

Can anyone give a serious response. What if the asteroid today was actually headed towards us. What would the solution be to deflect it?

Most asteroids are made of loosely packed material. The larger asteroids are between 7 and 13 miles across. Exploding a nuclear bomb on one or in one wouldn't disintegrate it, rather, it would "ripple", similar to hitting a pool of water with a baseball bat.

About the only way to stop such an asteroid would be to very slightly "divert" it's course so far away from earth that by time it got here, it would pass by harmlessly.

Considering that the world spends only a few million a year on watching "space", stopping such an asteroid is very unlikely because we probably wouldn't be able to see it until much too late.

This is taught in even the most basic science classes.

You see, you give a "serious" response and does he say, "Oh", or "Ok, now I see"?
Nope, nothing.

PLANETARY DEFENSE CONFERENCE PART 2: MITIGATION PROPOSALS

"Harris emphasized that asteroid mitigation is not a job for leftover ICBMs and warheads, that experimental nuclear explosions in space are politically difficult, and of course the cost of risk prevention should not exceed its value.

Several speakers discussed the use of nuclear explosives either for destruction or deflection. David Dearborn (Livermore National Lab) discussed coupling of nuclear blast energy into NEOs. Nuclear explosives provide by far the most efficient packaging of energy (a million times more energy than the same mass of chemical explosive). For deflection, he noted that only by applying the force vector along the trajectory do we change the total angular momentum of the NEA and provide a shift that is cumulative over many orbits. Forces applied in other directions to change inclination or eccentricity do not produce cumulative effects (except in unusual resonant return cases).

With conservation of momentum, we can readily calculate how much reaction mass must be ejected based on mass of asteroid, velocity of material ejected, and required change in asteroid velocity. For deflection, must keep delta v much less than escape velocity. Standoff explosion heats rock and vaporizes material to exert reaction force. The explosion needs to be within 1 radius or we lose most of energy. For a delta-v of 1 cm/sec on kilometer-scale object, we need to vaporize the top 2 cm. X-rays dont penetrate deep enough, but neutrons are more penetrating and give centimeters of heating. We could deflect a 1 km object by cm/s with a few megatons explosion of a neutron-rich nuclear device. "

Yes, dear. But do you have any idea what cm/s means when you're talking about deflecting an orbiting object?

It would work only if the nukes are loaded on those spaceship thingys and sent out to meet the little buggers. From interplanetary space big enough nukes could, theoretically, nudge their velocity and/or orbital trajectory just enough that over time it turned a hit into a near miss - long before they hit Earth's gravity well. We're talking a year, two years, three before the actual impact scenario. And that's cutting it close - a hundred thousand miles is an incredibly close shave in astronomical terms. How long will it take to shift an asteroid 100,000 miles at the rate of a centimeter per second?

That's spaceships capable of interpanetary travel - which we don't have. And they would be used to meet asteroids we don't spend enough time and resources looking for. Land-based missiles and ICBM's launched from low-orbit satellites are of no value whatsoever, their range means we would have to wait until the target was already well within Earth's gravity well. In other words, these hypotheses are currently just as much science fiction as the rainbow powered unicorns.

But you keep patting yourself on the back, brainiac. ;)

Last edited:
You have got to be fucking kidding me. Killer fucking asteroids? DO you really think that scenarion where Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck strap themselves to an ACME rocket while jamming to Aerosmith is actually fucking viable? You have got to be fucking kidding me.

We will just put a bunch of high school students into space ships that have particle beam cannons. The ones that score highest against the asteroid will be given an evening with any two Playmates of the Month of their choice. Plus a lifetime supply of Jolt Cola or Mt. Dew

Posting for all the public to see---your fascination with the habits and lifestyle of high school children---it's just too creepy for words.

:eek:

We will just put a bunch of high school students into space ships that have particle beam cannons. The ones that score highest against the asteroid will be given an evening with any two Playmates of the Month of their choice. Plus a lifetime supply of Jolt Cola or Mt. Dew

Posting for all the public to see---your fascination with the habits and lifestyle of high school children---it's just too creepy for words.

:eek:
And you're a fucking clown.

You have got to be fucking kidding me. Killer fucking asteroids? DO you really think that scenarion where Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck strap themselves to an ACME rocket while jamming to Aerosmith is actually fucking viable? You have got to be fucking kidding me.
I want to ride a rocket while listening to Aerosmith, screw Bruce Willis and Affleck!

I absolutely refuse to be terrorized by meteorites.

There's too much else on my plate of fear already.

The more I think about it, the more I think US Spammer Reatrd and Pubes need to conduct an experiment to see if their harebrained idea has any merit.

Boys, go find an express train. A smallish one will do as long as it's going fast enough.

Stand directly in front of it with your .22's. When it gets close enough to actually hit it, fire away.

Let us know if you manage to break any windows before it smears you across the next three counties. :thup:

Forum List

Back