How Will Russia rebuild its military after the war is over?

Dayton3

Gold Member
May 3, 2009
After the war in Ukraine is over?

Assume the following:

1) The war in Ukraine will continue for at least 3-6 months.
2) The Russian military will continue to underperform making any progress solely by raw numbers and firepower.
3) Ukraine will continue to inflict disproportionately heavy losses on the Russians.
4) Ultimately, the Russians will succeed in doing something like opening a clear land route to Crimea, then they will declare victory and limp home with as much dignity as possible.

My opinions:

1) The sinking of the Moskva shows that a large vintage warship with advanced SAMs is no substitute for an actual carrier and its air wing. So I think the Russians will attempt to get their one carrier (Kuznetsov) and its air wing fully operational.

2) Overall the Russian air force has performed poorly. They need a major investment in not only air craft and munitions but funding for training and maintenance.

3) The Russians should give up their reliance on rather cheap tanks and go ahead with significant formations of more advanced vehicles.

Thoughts?

1652502686138.png

If the Russian military is doing so poorly why does the United States need to give the Ukraine forty billion dollars?

*****SMILE*****

:)

View attachment 644233

If the Russian military is doing so poorly why does the United States need to give the Ukraine forty billion dollars?

*****SMILE*****

Because basically the Ukraine is the mouse that roared. Our money will turn Ukraine into a lion that roars. (Assuming most of the money goes to fighting the Russian invaders and not to corruption.)

Assume the following:

2) The Russian military will continue to underperform making any progress solely by raw numbers and firepower.
3) Ukraine will continue to inflict disproportionately heavy losses on the Russians.
4) Ultimately, the Russians will succeed in doing something like opening a clear land route to Crimea, then they will declare victory and limp home with as much dignity as possible.

My opinions:

1) The sinking of the Moskva shows that a large vintage warship with advanced SAMs is no substitute for an actual carrier and its air wing. So I think the Russians will attempt to get their one carrier (Kuznetsov) and its air wing fully operational.

2) Overall the Russian air force has performed poorly. They need a major investment in not only air craft and munitions but funding for training and maintenance.

3) The Russians should give up their reliance on rather cheap tanks and go ahead with significant formations of more advanced vehicles.

Thoughts?
The problem is that they have to hold what they take and Its' not looking like Ukraine is going to let them.

They've already lost about 30% of their total armor and suffered huge, very expensive losses in both aircraft and Naval Assets.

When this is over the reparations they will owe Ukraine would keep them from being able to rebuild for at least a full decade, and likely much longer.

Their military is primarily funded by sales of weapons systems to foreign countries and with the dismal showing they are putting on that market is going to crash so they are going to have to find a new way to fund their adventures.

Assume the following:

My opinions:

Thoughts?
Problem is the Russian GDP isn't anything great.

11th in the World BEFORE this war, which will probably sink a bit. Smaller than Italy's with a much larger population, it's more than 10 times smaller than the US's.

Where's this money going to come from?

Assume the following:

My opinions:

Thoughts?
The Moskva was the pride of their Navy, now it and it's Sister ship have been put out of the war, one completely laying on the bottom and the other gutted by fire after missile strikes.

The Kuznetsov has been plagued by problems since it was built in the 90's and they haven't been able to keep it operational due to funding shortages and the simple fact it's a horribly flawed design representative of most of Russia's engineering prowess.

It has been sitting in port in Mermansk for over a year and a half for "repairs and refit" with no evidence to show any work has been going on for more than a year.

Their Naval assets deployed to Ukraine have suffered staggering losses including those two cruisers at least two large LST type heavy landing craft, at least six much smaller landing craft and a dozen of their patrol/attack boats including 001 the Parade Boat Putin used when reviewing the fleet around Crimea.

Modern missile cruisers cost upwards of a billion dollars today and Russia doesn't have the money to upgrade which is why they keep trying to salvage Soviet era designs and attempt to upgrade them.

Russia's "unbeatable" land and sea forces have proven to be anachronistic fantasies that existed only on paper.

Their anti aircraft systems have proven to be utterly dismal failures in the "drone war" which this is steadily becoming and they seem to have no answer for at all.

Before Putin is done he's going to lose 40-50% of his military assets and combat capability and somewhere in the range of 40k-50,000 personnel.

His command staff has been repeatedly gutted since the start of this war as well due to both his purges and Ukraine's remarkable targeting abilities of them traveling by convoy or where they hold meetings.

This war, even if Putin does manage to hold on to parts of Ukraine is going to break Russian financially and be his undoing.

Problem is the Russian GDP isn't anything great.

11th in the World BEFORE this war, which will probably sink a bit. Smaller than Italy's with a much larger population, it's more than 10 times smaller than the US's.

Where's this money going to come from?
Exports of petroleum and weapon's sales prior.

Unless he arrests and seizes the assets of his oligarch buddies he's not going to have the money for probably 10-20 years to rebuild and modernize his force into something capable.

Because basically the Ukraine is the mouse that roared. Our money will turn Ukraine into a lion that roars. (Assuming most of the money goes to fighting the Russian invaders and not to corruption.)

1652508431064.png

Yeah they tried doing that in the Middle East and Afghanistan and we saw how Afghanistan ended.

*****SMILE*****

View attachment 644248

So other than prolonging the conflict and getting the United States involved in another war your point is?

*****SMILE*****

My point is that we're preventing mass casualty events over the entire country and a the growing risk NATO would become involved if they took all of Ukraine.

I kind of favor not seeing hundreds of thousands or millions of innocents being murdered by a power and land hungry dictator engaging in a war of conquest.

My point is that we're preventing mass casualty events over the entire country and a the growing risk NATO would become involved if they took all of Ukraine.

I kind of favor not seeing hundreds of thousands or millions of innocents being murdered by a power and land hungry dictator engaging in a war of conquest.
1652509242869.png

Wars happen and seeing hundreds of thousands or millions being murdered in other parts of the world hasn't been a reason for the United States to be involved before now.

*****SMILE*****

Forum List

Back