How to Impress Your Boss, an Instructional Guide

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
Sophia Stephens, a freelance writer and self-described “educator,” informs white employers of how to “ensure the safety of the black people and people of colour who work with and for you.” Not safety in the sense of fire regulations, of course, or loose stair carpeting, but with regard to the exquisitely delicate emotional state of All Brown Skinned People Everywhere. Due to this perilous and inherent instability of mood, there are “questions to interrogate as you engage with people of colour and their labour.” Among which,

Are you asking or demanding? Many white people who approach Black and non-Black people of colour for labour do not ask for our labour — they demand it from us. Asking someone to do something leaves it open-ended with space for the person to say no… If you are exhausting and hurting Black and non-Black people of colour around you because you won’t take “no” for an answer when you request labour from us… it’s time to check your privilege.

If that’s not catnip for employers with tight deadlines, I don’t know what is. Oh, there’s more:

The most common opening for a demand that most white people don’t even realise is a demand is, “I need.” Of course you have needs, but is it necessary that you consistently go to people of colour, who also have needs that are systematically denied to them, to help you?

White People: This Is How To Check Your Privilege When Asking People of Color For Their Labor

This is a trick all employers should learn. Ask me and I'll do the world for you. Demand I do something and that middle finger goes up and if at all possible, I'm not doing it.
It's a Yankee thing.

This is a trick all employers should learn. Ask me and I'll do the world for you. Demand I do something and that middle finger goes up and if at all possible, I'm not doing it.
It's a Yankee thing.
Then you would be fired.

It's a Yankee thing.
Then you would be fired.

You'd be surprised at hard it is to fire someone these days.

I'm in the process of firing a woman right now, and she's throwing up every barrier she can in front of me. I'll succeed eventually, and I'm embarrassed that I ever hired this person, but it's been a hassle.

In the real world you ask to be hired and after that the boss demands you do your job. I cant picture any good boss saying "will you do the job you were hired for pretty please?"

It's a Yankee thing.
Then you would be fired.

You'd be surprised at hard it is to fire someone these days.

I'm in the process of firing a woman right now, and she's throwing up every barrier she can in front of me. I'll succeed eventually, and I'm embarrassed that I ever hired this person, but it's been a hassle.
Its not that difficult when they refuse to do their job. Granted its tougher in California than other places where I do business.

It's a Yankee thing.
Then you would be fired.
You don't get it because you don't know me as an employee. I already know that what the boss says goes. It's just a matter of being asked courteously.

I couldn't relate to the article and thought it need instances of which she spoke about. I was totally loss by the "x" and "y" actors example.
Not sure if the criticism I read here is fair. I believe it was not directed towards the boss-employee relationship, but rather co-worker to co-worker and requests outside of the job environment.

It's a Yankee thing.
Then you would be fired.
You don't get it because you don't know me as an employee. I already know that what the boss says goes. It's just a matter of being asked courteously.
Give the boss the finger= get fired.

Forum List

Back