How to end Homelessness.

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
We need less social-media grandstanding and more house-building.

Until recently, homelessness would only come to public attention in the run-up to Christmas. But things are changing. Homelessness is now being openly discussed by politicians ‘after years in the policy wilderness’, says Patrick Butler at the Guardian. Politicians ‘seem almost to be trying to outdo each other’ with their schemes to tackle it, he says.

The Conservative government has pledged to halve rough sleeping by the end of this parliament, and to eliminate it by 2027. The Homelessness Reduction Act comes into force in April. It will impose new duties on local authorities – including to prevent and relieve homelessness for all ‘eligible applicants’, not just those deemed to be in priority need or ‘unintentionally homeless’. Housing First pilots have been announced to provide accommodation and wraparound support for the long-term homeless.

How to end homelessness

• Banned
** And yet the Rough Sleeping and Homelessness Reduction Taskforce, unveiled as part of last year’s autumn budget, has yet to meet. And some local authorities still stand accused of treating the homeless with contempt. Windsor council’s determination to clear the streets of homeless people before Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s wedding in May caused controversy. The rise of ‘hostile architecture’ – with anti-homeless sprinklers, strategically placed bike racks and metal bars on park benches all making life even more uncomfortable for rough sleepers – has also, rightly, been met with hostility.**

th

The problem with government being involved in attempting to relieve homelessness is that if many of the homeless don't want the government telling them want they can and can not do. They just want to live their lives and have the government keep it's long 'politically correct' nose to itself.

*****SMILE*****

:)

• Banned
Watching what's going in the UK, with the Beast from the East, public sentiment has been roused by the plight of those people, enduring the brutal weather conditions.

I deal with homeless people on a daily basis and I can assure you that you can't end homelessness by building homes.

Those who are chronically on the streets are there not because they have no opportunity to get off them, but because they simply can't function in society.

Mental illness combined with substance addiction render them incapable of self care. They simply prefer the streets because there are no societal demands placed on them there. It doesn't matter to them if they are cold, or beaten, or abused, they refuse agency care because they reject the structure inherent in that care.

The logic of it is so counter-intuitive that many just refuse to believe it and fault the system. In a way, it's the system what is responsible for their being on the streets.

We can no longer incarcerate those with societal disabilities in psychiatric facilities and they simply are incapable of being cared for on an out patient basis.

I'm afraid this is a problem that's not just going to go away buy building houses ... no matter how good that makes us feel.

• Banned
I deal with homeless people on a daily basis and I can assure you that you can't end homelessness by building homes.

Those who are chronically on the streets are there not because they have no opportunity to get off them, but because they simply can't function in society.

Mental illness combined with substance addiction render them incapable of self care. They simply prefer the streets because there are no societal demands placed on them there. It doesn't matter to them if they are cold, or beaten, or abused, they refuse agency care because they reject the structure inherent in that care.

The logic of it is so counter-intuitive that many just refuse to believe it and fault the system. In a way, it's the system what is responsible for their being on the streets.

We can no longer incarcerate those with societal disabilities in psychiatric facilities and they simply are incapable of being cared for on an out patient basis.

I'm afraid this is a problem that's not just going to go away buy building houses ... no matter how good that makes us feel.

I've heard that argument concerning self care, or lack of it, and can understand the logic of living on the streets.

Why do we think we have to 'fix' things?

I've heard that argument concerning self care, or lack of it, and can understand the logic of living on the streets.

The ‘fix’ is considered by many to be worse than the problem.

The fix is returning to mandatory long-term psychiatric incarceration for their own safety.

There is no cure for mental illness or substance addiction that doesn’t require the willing participation of the patient.

One of the most telling things homeless people say is that they prefer the emergency room to the homeless shelter because the emergency room doesn’t pretend they can actually help them.

Emergency rooms clean and dress their wounds, give them a meal, and kick them out in the morning.

That is what they want.

• Banned

The fix is returning to mandatory long-term psychiatric incarceration for their own safety.

There is no cure for mental illness or substance addiction that doesn’t require the willing participation of the patient.

One of the most telling things homeless people say is that they prefer the emergency room to the homeless shelter because the emergency room doesn’t pretend they can actually help them.

Emergency rooms clean and dress their wounds, give them a meal, and kick them out in the morning.

That is what they want.

But sleeping rough in sub zero conditions?

For a couple of years in my early 20s I had the dubious honour of being a volunteer at St Vinnies; I was with the Matthew Talbot Conference by night and Ozanam House by day. Fncceo is quite right; it has little to do with being UNABLE to go to a place and more to do with not being accountable to anyone else. It needs a rethink of major proportions and no; I don't have the answer.

Greg

That is what they want.

Yes; I would agree with that.

Greg

That is what they want.

See it every day ...

Not long ago, I saw a man, one of our regulars, beaten so badly he couldn't open his eyes because of the facial swelling. He's persona non grata at most of the emergency rooms because he frequently abuses the system. He refused to say he'd been assaulted, claiming, he 'fell down'.

It was damn cold that night and I arrested him as a suspect in a liquor store armed rob to get him off the street and looked after by a medic at the remand facility. The detectives kicked him loose the next day (and chewed my arse) but it was the only thing I could think to do. He was back outside a downtown train station the next night. The swelling had gone down a bit.

I haven't seen him recently, I can only assume he's dead.

I watched a documentary some years ago about an American professor at some university, in Arizona I think. Despite being a high earner, he chose to live outside, sleeping under the stars.

I watched a documentary some years ago about an American professor at some university, in Arizona I think. Despite being a high earner, he chose to live outside, sleeping under the stars.

I have a lovely sofa on my patio and on warm nights I sleep outdoors. I don't, however, eat out of garbage cans or sleep in cardboard boxes.

I have a lovely sofa on my patio and on warm nights I sleep outdoors. I don't, however, eat out of garbage cans or sleep in cardboard boxes.

I've slept outside on unbearably hot and humid nights in the Eastern Mediterranean.

The best way to abolish homelessness is to stop support creating of the Great Israel, fighting its wars and begin to redistribute money to poor.
Billions over billions were wasted in Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria & Co

th

*****SMILE*****

:)

That is what they want.

See it every day ...

Not long ago, I saw a man, one of our regulars, beaten so badly he couldn't open his eyes because of the facial swelling. He's persona non grata at most of the emergency rooms because he frequently abuses the system. He refused to say he'd been assaulted, claiming, he 'fell down'.

It was damn cold that night and I arrested him as a suspect in a liquor store armed rob to get him off the street and looked after by a medic at the remand facility. The detectives kicked him loose the next day (and chewed my arse) but it was the only thing I could think to do. He was back outside a downtown train station the next night. The swelling had gone down a bit.

I haven't seen him recently, I can only assume he's dead.

Further to this, I watched some homeless men being interviewed today, living rough through the latest brutal weather conditions in Great Britain. They said they would rather live on the streets than go in a hostel, thus reiterating some of the points you made earlier.

Forum List

Back