How solar farms took over the California desert: ‘An oasis has become a dead sea’

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
Where I currently live, solar farms are springing up, and they are ugly as hell and have ruined the beauty of the landscape.

“We had a guy pull in the other day towing a big boat,” says Don Sneddon, a local resident. “He asked us how to get to the launch ramp to the lake. I don’t think he realised he was looking at a lake of solar panels.”

Deep in the Mojave desert, about halfway between Los Angeles and Phoenix, a sparkling blue sea shimmers on the horizon. Visible from the I-10 highway, amid the parched plains and sun-baked mountains, it is an improbable sight: a deep blue slick stretching for miles across the Chuckwalla Valley, forming an endless glistening mirror.

Where I currently live, solar farms are springing up, and they are ugly as hell and have ruined the beauty of the landscape.

“We had a guy pull in the other day towing a big boat,” says Don Sneddon, a local resident. “He asked us how to get to the launch ramp to the lake. I don’t think he realised he was looking at a lake of solar panels.”

Desert Center? Ever been there? :auiqs.jpg:

I like the guy that does solar panels .. se what he says at the end of article. What a dooooosh

I do believe roof tops are better and batteries? Therein lies the issue(s).

They are springing up in MN.
This winter I was wondering how efficient they are covered in snow. Didn't look like they were cleaned off after snowstorms.

They are like this:

blob

The OP states he's from Oregon ... and I can assure everyone there's plenty of desert wasteland in Oregon to put up solar panels ... areas unfit for human habitation ... but you'll have to build these farms up north, near the Columbia River ... near the main trunk lines taking carbon-neutral environmentally-safe immenently-renewable hydropower to California ... where the wind farms are ... [ka'ching] ... Californicating the Californians ha ha ha ha ha ...

Solar panels go on roof tops ... producing electricity where it's being used ... plant trees along the streets ... reducing the need for electricity ... either it pays for itself or it doesn't ... decide based on that alone ... unless you're made of money like California ...

Where I live the panels are right next to the roadway, and they are unsightly.
I've seen that, but highways/freeways , the interstate is f-ugly

In great empty expanses, those farms add something interesting too look at if, that is what you believe is important on the highways

Forum List

Back