How solar farms took over the California desert: ‘An oasis has become a dead sea’

The OP states he's from Oregon ... and I can assure everyone there's plenty of desert wasteland in Oregon to put up solar panels ... areas unfit for human habitation ... but you'll have to build these farms up north, near the Columbia River ... near the main trunk lines taking carbon-neutral environmentally-safe immenently-renewable hydropower to California ... where the wind farms are ... [ka'ching] ... Californicating the Californians ha ha ha ha ha ...

Solar panels go on roof tops ... producing electricity where it's being used ... plant trees along the streets ... reducing the need for electricity ... either it pays for itself or it doesn't ... decide based on that alone ... unless you're made of money like California ...
yep

The OP states he's from Oregon ... and I can assure everyone there's plenty of desert wasteland in Oregon to put up solar panels ... areas unfit for human habitation ... but you'll have to build these farms up north, near the Columbia River ... near the main trunk lines taking carbon-neutral environmentally-safe immenently-renewable hydropower to California ... where the wind farms are ... [ka'ching] ... Californicating the Californians ha ha ha ha ha ...

Solar panels go on roof tops ... producing electricity where it's being used ... plant trees along the streets ... reducing the need for electricity ... either it pays for itself or it doesn't ... decide based on that alone ... unless you're made of money like California ...
That’s great for individual homesteads, etc, but that ain’t gonna drive you to Seattle or power a city or a farm.
AGW is a demmunist scam and those who parrot that bullshit are either nefarious opportunists or retarded baboon sheep.

If they're out in the middle of nowhere, I could care less. However, I'm not talking about that. The ones I'm complaining about are right along the highway, and I would much rather look at the beauty of the hills and valleys instead of a bunch of goddamned ugly panels that destroy the natural beauty.

How many endangered desert species are fried and displaced by these ugly things? Nobody wants to know. Windmills can kill endangered migratory birds and off shore windmills are allegedly killing whales. No sign of a greenie outrage that used to put people in jail for killing an endangered minnow.

The OP is talking about solar farms, not rooftop solar panels.

The OP is talking about solar farms, not rooftop solar panels.

I understand ... and that is a mistake by the OP ... solar panels go on rooftops, where the electricity is used ... not out in some God forsaken desert where the electricity is useless ... is there something about roofing shingles you think is pretty? ...

The ones I'm complaining about are right along the highway, and I would much rather look at the beauty of the hills and valleys instead of a bunch of goddamned ugly panels that destroy the natural beauty.

Then buy the land and do not let people put up solar farms. The people that owned those hills and valleys decided they wanted some money to help them pay the property tax on them.

If they're out in the middle of nowhere, I could care less. However, I'm not talking about that. The ones I'm complaining about are right along the highway, and I would much rather look at the beauty of the hills and valleys instead of a bunch of goddamned ugly panels that destroy the natural beauty.

They have to be alongside the highways to connect to the grid ... and we better not be talking about US-20 between Bend and Junctura ... there's nothing beautiful along that road ... no water ... nothing but death and decay along that particular highway ...

No comments about the wind farms or dams in the Gorge? ... I would find those ugly quicker than a solar farm near Pendleton ...

Compared to sagebrush? ... I guess ... if you like that desert landscape, then of course any human building would be ugly ... but are these solar panels worse than open pit coal mining? ... or is this just NIMBY? ...
The solar panels are way worse because they destroy the landscape. Most strip mines involve very little surface area and are underground.
Wind turbines are even uglier.
Extremists in Washington state have lined an entire ridge of a canyon cut by the Columbia River with wind turbines.
Virtue signaling, ignorant democrat sheep.

The solar panels are way worse because they destroy the landscape. Most strip mines involve very little surface area and are underground.
Wind turbines are even uglier.
Extremists in Washington state have lined an entire ridge of a canyon cut by the Columbia River with wind turbines.
Virtue signaling, ignorant democrat sheep.

Wait? ... What? ... I know what an underground mine is ... apparently "open pit" is a new concept to you ...

open-pit-mining-large3.jpg

You didn't know there are wind farms on the Oregon side of the Gorge? ... are those dams any better looking? ... how about playing with matches? ... wheat fields? ...

C'mon ... there's always US-20 ... or US-95 ... you know, post card country ...

Wait? ... What? ... I know what an underground mine is ... apparently "open pit" is a new concept to you ...

open-pit-mining-large3.jpg

You didn't know there are wind farms on the Oregon side of the Gorge? ... are those dams any better looking? ... how about playing with matches? ... wheat fields? ...

C'mon ... there's always US-20 ... or US-95 ... you know, post card country ...
Nice try.
The wind turbines line hundreds of miles of landscape all in the name of a phony agenda.
Besides destroying natural beauty, they are a reminder of democrat contrived economic hardship.

Good use, but ugly as sin.

That's a ruined landscape ... ranging cattle destroys the environment and leaves behind this desolate wasteland ... that's chaparral country and as you can see, that's not chaparral anymore ... strictly a man-made savannah ... Californians playing with matches ...

FAKE NEWS ... where are the electric wires connecting this solar farm to the grid ... ha ha ha ha ha ha ... nice photo-chop though ... had us all fooled for a bit ...

Nice try.
The wind turbines line hundreds of miles of landscape all in the name of a phony agenda.
Besides destroying natural beauty, they are a reminder of democrat contrived economic hardship.

Is this why them DEMON-CRATS in TEXAS are leading the nation in wind energy ... Oklahoma is second? ...

It must be horrible living in such a DEMO-NAZI stronghold the size of TEXAS ... or Oklahoma ...

For the record ... the wind farm on the Columbia Gorge is returning a profit without specific government subsidies ... AND delivering cheapest-in-the-nation electricity ... I'm not saying wind is good for you, or that it is good everyplace ... HOWEVER, it's windy in West Texas ... real capitalists put up wind mills where they are profitable ... so what's your problem? ... you're not putting political ideology ahead of money, are you? ... Texas doesn't, why I like Texans so much ...

Forum List

Back