How much would you spend?

Joz said:
I was given a magazine about Cincinnati cuisine. It listed the top 25 restaurants in Cincy.

Number one was a place called BOCA. Meals average $89 per person, but they do have a lighter menu for dieters/budget conscious that is $47-$56 per person.

I guess my palate is not devloped enough to enjoy food which would cost this much. I'm just a good ol' meat & potatoes gal. Personally, I could not spend this on a meal.

Really depends on what is included in the meal. I am guessing that wine isn't included since they offer a "diet" version. Well, that is, unless they only take the wine and desert away and that then becomes the "diet" version.... :tng:

Here in Las Vegas at Aureole's in Mandalay Bay, a three-course prix fixe goes for $90 per person. I know there are some much more. I think Daniel's in New York City was $150.00, but that might have included wine. I know they had a prix fixe for $250 per person that include wine by the glass and another that was "Market Price" by the bottle.

But I like In-N-Out.

I'd do it once just to say I experienced it...

...much the same reason I dumped $100 in to one pull in one of the giant slot machines in vegas. (Note: I wasn't dumb enough to go with money I didn't plan on losing..)

Shattered said:
...much the same reason I dumped $100 in to one pull in one of the giant slot machines in vegas. (Note: I wasn't dumb enough to go with money I didn't plan on losing..)

Exactly. The people that come here and have the most fun are the ones that plan ahead, set a certain amount aside for losses (whatever is reasonable and not a burden - fun money!) and then schedule activities around losing their money (they don't build these places on winners).

freeandfun1 said:
Exactly. The people that come here and have the most fun are the ones that plan ahead, set a certain amount aside for losses (whatever is reasonable and not a burden - fun money!) and then schedule activities around losing their money (they don't build these places on winners).

I went with $3000, and came home with $16, but sure as hell had a blast doing it. I don't play quarter slots, either. :D $5 and $10 machines, with a few $25 machines thrown in for good measure.. Managed to play for 7 days straight.. So, won some, gave it back, won some, gave it back, and did some shopping, too..

(Gotta love comps - didn't pay a dime for food, or drink, all week).

Shattered said:
I went with $3000, and came home with $16, but sure as hell had a blast doing it. I don't play quarter slots, either. :D $5 and $10 machines, with a few $25 machines thrown in for good measure.. Managed to play for 7 days straight.. So, won some, gave it back, won some, gave it back, and did some shopping, too..

(Gotta love comps - didn't pay a dime for food, or drink, all week).
That's the way to do it!

I have a lot of Asian clients that come here for conventions. They all love to gamgle, so I always tell em, when you leave, ask em to comp your room based on your play. Nearly all of em get it comp'd and if they are own their business they like it and if they are on the company nickle, they usually really like it cuz they get paid on per diem during conventions and so in a sense they get to pocket the cost of the room and they can make money that way too. The hotels will give you a bill and then reverse the charges! :tng:

I spent a week at Caesars palace several years ago, on business.
Since I wasn't there to play I just hung-out and watched.

The thing that stuck out the most was the Brinks trucks.
They come in and take bags of money and leave.
I never saw them BRING any money in...

Oh yeah....I have had the opportunity to enjoy some business meals at some very expensive resturants, and I would highly recommend it, if you have the chance. Emeril's has a 7 course meal called "Degaustation," that is the chef's choice, and it is a great meal. Flavors that I never knew existed, nor ever experienced. Culinary delight (probably the first time I have ever used that term before)

There is a big difference between a regular supermarket cut of filet, and a Kobe Filet, but you have to appreciate it, and not slather it is steak sauce, or cook it 'til it's shoe leather, though.

Fmr jarhead said:
Oh yeah....I have had the opportunity to enjoy some business meals at some very expensive resturants, and I would highly recommend it, if you have the chance. Emeril's has a 7 course meal called "Degaustation," that is the chef's choice, and it is a great meal. Flavors that I never knew existed, nor ever experienced. Culinary delight (probably the first time I have ever used that term before)

There is a big difference between a regular supermarket cut of filet, and a Kobe Filet, but you have to appreciate it, and not slather it is steak sauce, or cook it 'til it's shoe leather, though.
This is why I love to cook. I can fix these high end meals for 1/3 of what it cost in a restaurant. Now Kobe is a very expensive piece of meat, and I'd never recommend the average "cook" take it on...Other than that, most things can be cooked at home with great success..Not only that but with practice even grocery store food can exceed what you may get in some "fine" restaurants.

PS...If you use steak sauce on a fine cut of beef you should have a hamburger...then be SHOT! :)

Mr. P said:
This is why I love to cook. I can fix these high end meals for 1/3 of what it cost in a restaurant. Now Kobe is a very expensive piece of meat, and I'd never recommend the average "cook" take it on...Other than that, most things can be cooked at home with great success..Not only that but with practice even grocery store food can exceed what you may get in some "fine" restaurants.

PS...If you use steak sauce on a fine cut of beef you should have a hamburger...then be SHOT! :)

There's a restaurant in SoCal where they have no steak sauce, salt or pepper on the table. If you ask for any, they make a big scene (all part of the "experience") and ask you to leave.... If you call for directions, they will tell you you don't need to come if you don't know where they are.... all kinda funny.

Of course anybody can make at home some of the best meals you can have outside, but part of eating out is the atmosphere and also, the experience.

freeandfun1 said:
There's a restaurant in SoCal where they have no steak sauce, salt or pepper on the table. If you ask for any, they make a big scene (all part of the "experience") and ask you to leave.... If you call for directions, they will tell you you don't need to come if you don't know where they are.... all kinda funny.

Of course anybody can make at home some of the best meals you can have outside, but part of eating out is the atmosphere and also, the experience.
I know....I grew up in restaurants..I've been in and worked in places
that would never cook a fine steak "well done"..Good for them....Goes back to eat a hamburger..

But the arrogance part....

I called local restaurant myself a few years back, it was suppose to be a very good place
to eat. I ask one simple question.."Do I need a reservation" for xxx?
The response was "only if you want a table", that smart ass answer ended my call...I have never been there and never will be. Atmosphere is more than most think, it's attitude too..

As far as "anybody can make at home some of the best meals you can have outside" not really..some can't boil water.

Joz said:
I was given a magazine about Cincinnati cuisine. It listed the top 25 restaurants in Cincy.
Number one was a place called BOCA. Meals average $89 per person, but they do have a lighter menu for dieters/budget conscious that is $47-$56 per person.

I guess my palate is not devloped enough to enjoy food which would cost this much. I'm just a good ol' meat & potatoes gal. Personally, I could not spend this on a meal.

I am of the mind that when you go out to eat you get what you pay for. I would and have paid this much for a meal many times, fine cuisine is just something I like. I like the experience, everything from having a couple cocktails in the bar first to experiencing and tasting first rate food from first rate chefs.

Ate at Emeril's Fish House in Vegas, 3 people....total bill 425! Well worth it though.

I have on a few occasions dined in restaurants a bit pricey like Ruth Criss steak house...But the dinner you get is unbelievable and worth every penney...Usually it's to celebrate special occasions, anniversaries, birthdays, etc.

Another was Le"Bec Fenn which was an all inclusive meal including appetizers, main course, wine selected to go with each course, and the best part was a desert cart filled with the most delicious french deserts that you could sample anything and everything you wanted.

OCA said:
I am of the mind that when you go out to eat you get what you pay for. I would and have paid this much for a meal many times, fine cuisine is just something I like. I like the experience, everything from having a couple cocktails in the bar first to experiencing and tasting first rate food from first rate chefs.

Ate at Emeril's Fish House in Vegas, 3 people....total bill 425! Well worth it though.
That pretty much nails the big $$$$ tab OCA...One is really not paying for the food
per say, but the whole banana..the experience. Much different than just looking for good food.

Bonnie said:
I have on a few occasions dined in restaurants a bit pricey like Ruth Criss steak house...But the dinner you get is unbelievable and worth every penney...Usually it's to celebrate special occasions, anniversaries, birthdays, etc.

Another was Le"Bec Fenn which was an all inclusive meal including appetizers, main course, wine selected to go with each course, and the best part was a desert cart filled with the most delicious french deserts that you could sample anything and everything you wanted.

The thing is that no matter how much you try you cannot reduplicate the meal nor the atmosphere you get in these places. These guys are professionals and they deserve their money. Personally i've seen people who were not satisfied with their meal, in a Mario Batali restauraunt no less, and the kitchen went all out making it right, free drinks and all.

Mr. P said:
That pretty much nails the big $$$$ tab OCA...One is really not paying for the food
per say, but the whole banana..the experience. Much different than just looking for good food.

Exactly, its a fucking show. Anyone can go to Applebees any night of the week and have some high school dropout wait on and cook the meal, a person who don't know saffron from sprite. You go to a fine dining establishment and man you get pampered from professionals.

But I understand the cost thing though.

OCA said:
The thing is that no matter how much you try you cannot reduplicate the meal nor the atmosphere you get in these places. These guys are professionals and they deserve their money. Personally i've seen people who were not satisfied with their meal, in a Mario Batali restauraunt no less, and the kitchen went all out making it right, free drinks and all.

That is very true, we had steaks one night that were not hot enough so desert and drinks were on the house, and we were given new steaks, perfectly cooked. Also though I should add that I have eaten at Tony Bordane's restaurant on Park Ave in Manhattan and we had excellent service and food, but the price was very reasonable.

Forum List

Back