How Much of a Theist or Atheist are You?

How Much of a Theist or Atheist are You?

• Strong Theist

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • De-facto Theist

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Weak Theist

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Pure Agnostic

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Weak Atheist

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • De-facto Atheist

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • Strong Atheist

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • Other

Votes: 12 14.8%

• Total voters
Arguing from ignorance either way is a fallacy.

Strawman fallacy on your part.

And anything otherwise is sophistry.

Are you agnostic concerning Santa Claus?

Why not?

Answer that, and you know why I'm not agnostic concerning deities.
Argument from ignorance is not a straw man.

Saying that it is however is sophistry.

A lot of people hate you mamooth and I can see why.

I am getting ready to put you on my iggy since I have no use for liars and sophists.

Arguing from ignorance either way is a fallacy.

Strawman fallacy on your part.

And anything otherwise is sophistry.

Are you agnostic concerning Santa Claus?

Why not?

Answer that, and you know why I'm not agnostic concerning deities.
Like I said, you were either born with a silver spoon in your mouth or you are embittered about something.

Argument from ignorance is not a straw man.

Saying that we use it certainly is, being we don't use it.

A lot of people hate you mamooth and I can see why.

True. Irrational people can get extremely upset when you force them to face their irrationality. People tend to react badly to being proven wrong.

As for you, you should demonstrate that others use argument from ignorance, instead of simply claiming it, and then deflecting and running away when challenged. That doesn't reflect well on your intellectual honesty.

Like I said, you were either born with a silver spoon in your mouth or you are embittered about something.

Is "Because I say so!" the only argument you have, or are there some other dishonest fallacies that you plan to use?

You are correct to infer that only agnostics are right. Why? What did you choose?
I never said athiests are right. I said they think they have no possibility in their thought process that maybe they are wrong.
ag-nos-tic, not atheist.
An agnostic is someone to lazy to make up their mind in the most important issue in their lives.

On the contrary, an agnostic is at the least one who sees the folly in binary thinking.
The existence of God is a binary issue. It's a yes/no issue.
And the most important issue every person has in their lives.

It's a yes/no question. But as such, an invalid one.

Pop quiz --- do you believe Mrs. Irma Schwartz of Pineapple South Dakota has blue eyes or brown eyes? You have to choose one.

One may say that 'God' made the Universe, but the idea that 'God' is an old male human with magical powers is no more than a fairytale.

Of course the first question I always put to that contingent is ---- where's the female that makes "God" "male"?
Usually get a lot of humma-humma on that. But the last guy tried to tell me God is hermaphroditic. Kind of a SuperSnail.

I never said athiests are right. I said they think they have no possibility in their thought process that maybe they are wrong.
ag-nos-tic, not atheist.
An agnostic is someone to lazy to make up their mind in the most important issue in their lives.

On the contrary, an agnostic is at the least one who sees the folly in binary thinking.

Pop quiz --- do you believe Mrs. Irma Schwartz of Pineapple South Dakota has blue eyes or brown eyes? You have to choose one.
Says a lot about you thinking the existence of God or not is just as important as the color of Irma Schwatz's eyes.

One may say that 'God' made the Universe, but the idea that 'God' is an old male human with magical powers is no more than a fairytale.

Of course the first question I always put to that contingent is ---- where's the female that makes "God" "male"?
Usually get a lot of humma-humma on that. But the last guy tried to tell me God is hermaphroditic. Kind of a SuperSnail.
Dufus probably looks for the penis in what Spanish word to use.

Dufus probably looks for the penis in what Spanish word to use.

That sentence ^^ almost resembles English. Who knows what its intention was.

Or someone who realises, unlike certain engineers, that absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence.
Whatever. Being happy to sit on the fence in the most important issue of their live is lazy, foolish, and plain stupid. I know, I was there. Then it dawned on me this was the most important issue and I better start doing my homework to get an answer.

Nope, it really isn't the most important issue. Not even close.

ag-nos-tic, not atheist.

Says a lot about you thinking the existence of God or not is just as important as the color of Irma Schwatz's eyes.

Irma Schwartz's eye colour is not a matter of how "important" the question is. It's a matter of being forced into a binary choice that is illegitimate. You can't make that choice. For all you know Irma Schwartz has green eyes.

Irma Schwartz's eye colour is not a matter of how "important" the question is. It's a matter of being forced into a binary choice that is illegitimate. You can't make that choice. For all you know Irma Schwartz has green eyes.
If the color of her eyes were the most important issue in every persons life, I would work hard to get that question answered, dufus.

Other: Gods are real, but not necessarily in the way believers imagine. Gods are essentially distributed personas existing in the networked minds of followers. Think of them as elaborate 'memes', with motives and ambitions all their own, propagating themselves via the minds of their hosts (believers).

You are correct to infer that only agnostics are right. Why? What did you choose?
ag-nos-tic, not atheist.

Because you decided that? :lol:

4. Pure agnostic. It's the thinking person's position.
Means you have simply made Science your religion.

You have ignored Religion and you are ignorant of Philosophy.

So you are not completely superstitious but not completely smart either.
Philosophy and religion are just words. You can't prove god with words only. Dingbat already tried. :biggrin:

ag-nos-tic, not atheist.
Show me some real proof to tilt me one way or the other and I'll stop being lazy. :D
I said the decision must be made upon available evidence. It's like gravity. All the available evidence is there and you can make a decision if it exists or not.
So you're saying that gravity didnt exist until there was enough available evidence?

The first time I heard of a scale being around was through Richard Dawkins, one of the founders of the New Atheism group. Since I do not have a differing widely known scale, I use his. He's eliminating other beliefs and the like for those whose beliefs lie elsewhere, so I include "Other" in my poll.

1. Strong Theist: I do not question the existence of God, I KNOW he exists.
  2. De-facto Theist: I cannot know for certain but I strongly believe in God and I live my life on the assumption that he is there.
  3. Weak Theist: I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.
  4. Pure Agnostic: God’s existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.
  5. Weak Atheist: I do not know whether God exists but I’m inclined to be skeptical.
  6. De-facto Atheist: I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable and I live my life under the assumption that he is not there.
  7. Strong Atheist: I am 100% sure that there is no God.
If this has been posted before, then please forgive. I did a search and did not find.
Dawkins wimped out by admitting he was a "6.5". First, because he didn't have the guts to just say "7" and, secondly plus more importantly, he didn't admit the most logical position is Agnostic, "I don't know and I can't prove either position".

Forum List

Back