How many years would it take to mine enough lithium to make enough batteries to replace all of the internal combustion engines in the world?

LOL.

Unlike you I've actually worked on alternative transportation fuels. I get tired of know-nothing sitting in the cheap seats talking like they have a say in anything.
Awwww, too bad. It's a tough old world, kid.

No matter where you go, no matter what you do, always remember:

My vote cancels out yours. :auiqs.jpg:

Say, who are you going to denounce people to now that Biden's Ministry of Truth has been cancelled before it even got off the ground?

Given your limited scientific comments (you usually snag one point and then slavishly stick to it unable to speak around it or expand on it) I can only assume what you were likely doing in your career.

Also it is quite clear you have no background in R&D or development. Like I said: you did what you were told. Not much more.

Good for you.
And you wonder why I believe you are a woman.

Don't be so hard on yourself. I'm sure there's SOMETHING you do well. Janitorial work? Barrista?
Right now, I manage a million-dollar-a-year contract. I do it well.

But, hey, it's not at all surprising to see you believe yourself better than people who do actual work for a living. Is there any reason for your unmerited arrogance?

LOL! Just kidding. Rhetorical question. There's no reason.

To be fair it did take you awhile to reconcile the concept of needing enough batteries to replace one day's worth of energy from gasoline and diesel.

Wrong.

I never questioned the Li you propose we would need. And I never questioned your mining amounts etc.

The point I made and continue to make is that:

1. You already add to the Li requirements with your electronics in your home already so it's kind of disingenuous to complain about Li mining
2. No one is saying that we replace all cars on the road instantaneously
3. Li is recyclable. That technology has yet to be adopted broadly but it is there.
4. Li ion batteries are increasing in energy density (gasoline is not)
5. Li ion batteries are not the only battery technology on earth.
6. Li ion batteries are improving and that is spurred on by a need in the marketplace.

Basically if the critique is "we can't possibly mine enough Li to replace all the cars currently on the road" it is a flawed critique. It is part of how technology develops and it takes time.

Having people who have no experience in R&D sitting on the side-lines kvetching is NOT valuable in the slightest. It's listening to old men complain about the new fangled auto-mobiles.

I use dunning for short.

Says the guy who complained when I used the phrase "salt diapir" as if no one ever said that. LOL.

Your hypocrisy is off the charts.

It get's the point across. Don't think this is the first time I've had this exact same conversation with silly nitpickers.

More irony.

The point is you statement was a textbook example of the DUNNING-KRUGER EFFECT.

Even MORE irony.

At this point you are a banded-irony formation. (That's a geology joke, you wouldn't understand it).

Wrong.

I never questioned the Li you propose we would need. And I never questioned your mining amounts etc.

The point I made and continue to make is that:

1. You already add to the Li requirements with your electronics in your home already so it's kind of disingenuous to complain about Li mining
2. No one is saying that we replace all cars on the road instantaneously
3. Li is recyclable. That technology has yet to be adopted broadly but it is there.
4. Li ion batteries are increasing in energy density (gasoline is not)
5. Li ion batteries are not the only battery technology on earth.
6. Li ion batteries are improving and that is spurred on by a need in the marketplace.

Basically if the critique is "we can't possibly mine enough Li to replace all the cars currently on the road" it is a flawed critique. It is part of how technology develops and it takes time.

Having people who have no experience in R&D sitting on the side-lines kvetching is NOT valuable in the slightest. It's listening to old men complain about the new fangled auto-mobiles.
I'm not complaining about lithium mining. I think it's great. They need to increase their output by a couple of orders of magnitude to fulfill your Utopian vision of the future.

I didn't say we would instantly replace all internal combustion engines with battery operated vehicles. I calculated the amount of lithium needed to replace all internal combustion engines with battery operated vehicles. Of course it's going to take time. At the current rate it will take 177 years.

Right now the batteries are not designed to be recycled. Good luck with that. They still have a problem getting enough lithium for one generation of cars. Like a 177 year problem.

Battery technology will always be a low energy density technology. Always. No matter what medium is used.

Says the guy who complained when I used the phrase "salt diapir" as if no one ever said that. LOL. Your hypocrisy is off the charts. More irony. Even MORE irony. At this point you are a banded-irony formation. (That's a geology joke, you wouldn't understand it).
You need to work on your writing skills. It's atrocious.

I'm not complaining about lithium mining. I think it's great. They need to increase their output by a couple of orders of magnitude to fulfill your Utopian vision of the future.

I cannot stress enough that we are talking about radically different RATES.

I would think an engineer would understand the importance of RATE.

I didn't say we would instantly replace all internal combustion engines with battery operated vehicles. I calculated the amount of lithium needed to replace all internal combustion engines with battery operated vehicles. Of course it's going to take time. At the current rate it will take 177 years.

If it takes more than 20 years don't you think the technology will advance? I showed already a couple times how tech is advancing. You simply ignore that. Why?

Right now the batteries are not designed to be recycled.

As I noted in the USGS Li mining report, there is at least one company that is doing right now. That means it is not thermodynamically impossible. It CAN BE DONE.

This is where economics kicks in. If there is demand and the prices are correct there's a lot that can be done.

Good luck with that. They still have a problem getting enough lithium for one generation of cars. Like a 177 year problem.

Not to mention the amount wasted on people like you and your electronics!

Battery technology will always be a low energy density technology. Always. No matter what medium is used.

As I noted before if it was ONLY a matter of energy density we'd all be driving Ford Nucleons (you can go ahead and google that or ignore it again).

I cannot stress enough that we are talking about radically different RATES. I would think an engineer would understand the importance of RATE. If it takes more than 20 years don't you think the technology will advance? I showed already a couple times how tech is advancing. You simply ignore that. Why? As I noted in the USGS Li mining report, there is at least one company that is doing right now. That means it is not thermodynamically impossible. It CAN BE DONE. This is where economics kicks in. If there is demand and the prices are correct there's a lot that can be done. Not to mention the amount wasted on people like you and your electronics! As I noted before if it was ONLY a matter of energy density we'd all be driving Ford Nucleons (you can go ahead and google that or ignore it again).
I read this and can't make out what you are trying to say. It looks like gibberish.

Technical writing need to state what it is. Not what someone else says isn't.

OK, got it. More trolling.

When you run out of ability to discuss a point (because you can only limit yourself to one talking point at a time and you don't think too deeply about it, you break out the fishing line and start trolling. What is wrong with you? I'm genuinely curious when people are such messes.)

Forum List

Back