How many years would it take to mine enough lithium to make enough batteries to replace all of the internal combustion engines in the world?

Yeah you've definitely made that known to everyone. And everyone is SUPER impressed.

-yawn-

Pull the other one!
Maybe you should go back to work. I'm sure the guy paying you to discuss lithium requirements for your Utopian dream would appreciate it. Me... I'm going to practice chipping.

And yet you are WRONG AGAIN! LOL.

Here's just two that I found quickly: Both are well over 25 words and go into some degree of technical detail. None of which you responded to substantively in any way. As I recall you immediately (as usual) started talking about my genitalia.

The problem with batteries is not actually volume density, but weight density.
The fact is batteries are very heavy for the amount of energy they can store.
The fact batteries are getting better, does not help because they are also getting more expensive, dangerously flammable, and limited by rare earth elements.
Nor are batteries more than the middle man.
Batteries still require a new energy source in order to charge the batteries, if we run out of or decide not to use fossil fuel.

Wrong.

I never questioned the Li you propose we would need. And I never questioned your mining amounts etc.

The point I made and continue to make is that:

1. You already add to the Li requirements with your electronics in your home already so it's kind of disingenuous to complain about Li mining
2. No one is saying that we replace all cars on the road instantaneously
3. Li is recyclable. That technology has yet to be adopted broadly but it is there.
4. Li ion batteries are increasing in energy density (gasoline is not)
5. Li ion batteries are not the only battery technology on earth.
6. Li ion batteries are improving and that is spurred on by a need in the marketplace.

Basically if the critique is "we can't possibly mine enough Li to replace all the cars currently on the road" it is a flawed critique. It is part of how technology develops and it takes time.

Having people who have no experience in R&D sitting on the side-lines kvetching is NOT valuable in the slightest. It's listening to old men complain about the new fangled auto-mobiles.

Not only is there not enough Lithium on the planet to make it practical for powering all the vehicles on the planet, but since Lithium is just a storage media and not an energy source, it solves nothing.
The only way to charge Lithium batteries is still by burning fossil fuels.
So nothing is gained, and there is a net loss by adding the weight of the Lithium batteries to the vehicle,
If you had suggested something common, compact, and clean, like hydrogen, that would have made much more sense. But even hydrogen is pointless unless we do something like a massive project to construct nuclear power plants or something to generate hydrogen.

OK, got it. More trolling.

When you run out of ability to discuss a point (because you can only limit yourself to one talking point at a time and you don't think too deeply about it, you break out the fishing line and start trolling. What is wrong with you? I'm genuinely curious when people are such messes.)
Boy, your "IM SAMRTER THAN EVERYBODY ESLE IN THE ROOM" horseshit is getting tiresome.

Also noted in the citation was the idea of recycling which has been happening at one company since the early 1990's.

Sounds to me like an area of development.

I'm genuinely curious why so many folks on here seem to understand technology exists but have no clue that technology has to be DEVELOPED. Maybe you think all the tech you use today has always existed and was always as cheap as it is today.

You should really read more history of technology.
I have, and more than you likely have, though you are too coward to show;
" Oops! We ran into some problems. This member limits who may view their full profile. "

There are limits to how much technology can be "developed". For example, basically still using the same ICE=Internal Combustion Engine powered vehicles rolling on rubber wheels as started with about 130+ years ago. No "flying cars" yet.

Meanwhile, on that "more history of technology" thyng; you might recall that we humans got involved with petroleum(erroneously referred to as "fossil fuel") because those dang whales weren't reproducing fast enough to provide "supply" to match "demand" back when the Industrial Revolution was off and running over a century and a half ago.*

You know, that same Industrial Revolution that allows for about 5-10 times as much population to live and be feed as back then, and makes those computers and internet possible for a dufus like you to display their ignorance on a forum like this.

* = Whaling is the process of hunting of whales for their usable products such as meat and blubber, which can be turned into a type of oil that became increasingly important in the Industrial Revolution. It was practiced as an organized industry as early as 875 AD. By the 16th century, it had risen to be the principal industry in the Basque coastal regions of Spain and France. The industry spread throughout the world, and became increasingly profitable in terms of trade and resources. Some regions of the world's oceans, along the animals' migration routes, had a particularly dense whale population, and became the targets for large concentrations of whaling ships, and the industry continued to grow well into the 20th century. The depletion of some whale species to near extinction led to the banning of whaling in many countries by 1969, and to a countrywide cessation of whaling as an industry in the late 1980s.

Last edited:
More like up to an hour. It's an 80v system.
I've been wondering how it is folks like you that think Li-ion batteries are inherently dangerous seem to have no problem keeping them inside your house. Hell, inside your pocket. Apparently you find enough value in other battery-powered devices to take whatever the actual risk might be. And 80V as well.

Last edited:
I've been wondering how it is folks like you that think Li-ion batteries are inherently dangerour seem to have no problem keeping them inside your house. Hell, inside your pocket. Apparently you find enough value to take whatever the actual risk might be. And 80V as well.
I keep them inside my house and not in my vehicle or garage because my house is climate controlled which I believe minimizes the risk. The risk of fire - I believe - is from extreme temperature. Not sure if you have checked or not but batteries get hot when you use them. Storing a hot battery in a hot car or a hot garage is not a good idea. The other reason I store my power tools batteries in my climate controlled house is to prolong their life - which I believe is shortened by extreme temperatures. I also minimize the amount of charging cycles by fully discharging the battery before charging. Which I believe prolongs battery life because batteries have a finite number of charge cycles before they begin to degrade.

I keep them inside my house and not in my vehicle or garage because my house is climate controlled which I believe minimizes the risk. The risk of fire - I believe - is from extreme temperature. Not sure if you have checked or not but batteries get hot when you use them. Storing a hot battery in a hot car or a hot garage is not a good idea. The other reason I store my power tools batteries in my climate controlled house is to prolong their life - which I believe is shortened by extreme temperatures. I also minimize the amount of charging cycles by fully discharging the battery before charging. Which I believe prolongs battery life because batteries have a finite number of charge cycles before they begin to degrade.
Your air conditioning will not prevent li-ion battery fires. Such fires are caused by failures in electrical insulation inside the battery.

Your air conditioning will not prevent li-ion battery fires. Such fires are caused by failures in electrical insulation inside the battery.
I didn't say my air conditioning prevented my batteries from spontaneously combusting. Proper care of batteries mitigates the risk of batteries from spontaneously combusting. I then went and listed all of the things I do to properly care for my batteries. One being to keep them from experiencing extreme temperatures.

I didn't say my air conditioning prevented my batteries from spontaneously combusting. Proper care of batteries mitigates the risk of batteries from spontaneously combusting. I then went and listed all of the things I do to properly care for my batteries. One being to keep them from experiencing extreme temperatures.
"I didn't say 'A;. I said 'A'" The point was that you have been arguing that we shouldn't buy EVs because - you claimed - they are inherently dangerous due to their great risk of fire. At no point did you suggest that the lithium batteries you showed us bursting into flame did so because they had been poorly maintained or cared for. Yet you keep many of them inside your home and even on your person; far more dangerous locations than out in our driveways.

"I didn't say 'A;. I said 'A'" The point was that you have been arguing that we shouldn't buy EVs because - you claimed - they are inherently dangerous due to their great risk of fire.
I have not been making that argument, dummy. Can you show me where I made that argument?

I have not been making that argument, dummy. Can you show me where I made that argument?

Forum List

Back