How many times can you bench press 2 plates (225lbs/60kg)?

iloverachel

Jun 20, 2020
Bench press standards for men and women (How good are you at benching?)

Average untrained man benches around 135lbs/60kg
If you can bench press 225 for 10 or more reps, you are stronger than a lot of NFL players

After publishing the post ”Realistic Squat, Bench and Deadlift For Naturals: How much?”, many people have been asking whether a 225lbs bench press is a respectable accomplishment for a natural lifter. The answer is yes. A 225lbs bench press is a very good number for a true natural bodybuilder.
1600346333327.png

A 220lbs man in his 20s would be able to lift 225 in an intermediate level, 305 in advanced, and 380 in elite.

Men tend to be strongest in their 20s and 30s, and gradually decline as they get older.

So, a man in his 20s, in an intermediate level, would be able to lift 100% of his body weight.

A man in his 30s, in an intermediate level, would be able to lift 90% of his body weight.

In his 40s, 80% of his body weight – and so on, though of course there would be exceptions.

Attachments

• 1600346334204.png
    1600346334204.png
    410.4 KB · Views: 38
I always did 6 rep sets. For 20 years, my sweet spot for benching was 380. I could power rip 420, (single rep).

There is a price though, both my rotator cups are destroyed. You can build muscle, but bones and cartilage are what they are, and eventually take damage from heavy weights.

How many times can you carry an eighty pound bag o masonry to a mixer throw it on top and then shovel two hundred and ten pounds of sand into it then push it in a wheelbarrow and disburse it with a shovel to different locations? Think you can do it for eight hours?

That builds core strength, one of the best ways to build.

If you can bench press 225 for 10 or more reps, you are stronger than a lot of NFL players

After publishing the post ”Realistic Squat, Bench and Deadlift For Naturals: How much?”, many people have been asking whether a 225lbs bench press is a respectable accomplishment for a natural lifter. The answer is yes. A 225lbs bench press is a very good number for a true natural bodybuilder.
View attachment 389735

A 220lbs man in his 20s would be able to lift 225 in an intermediate level, 305 in advanced, and 380 in elite.

Men tend to be strongest in their 20s and 30s, and gradually decline as they get older.

So, a man in his 20s, in an intermediate level, would be able to lift 100% of his body weight.

A man in his 30s, in an intermediate level, would be able to lift 90% of his body weight.

In his 40s, 80% of his body weight – and so on, though of course there would be exceptions.
To answer the question posed in your thread title - ZERO. I bench pressed 225 lbs. ONCE, when I was a much younger man. I did weigh only 160 lbs. at the time. I WAS in great shape 35-40 years ago. Now, not so much. ;)

AT MY BEST, I was able to BP a few ounces over 200lbs. Spent a year of working out (while I was in the service) and it really didn't make much of an improvement.

Now, at 71, I do three sets of 35 pushups, and an assortment of other exercises in each session, but I've never experienced a significant increase in STRENGTH, despite working out three days per week for the past 45 years.

I often think that if the salesmen for these gyms ever pointed ME out as an example of what prospective customers would look like in time, they would never sell another membership.

AT MY BEST, I was able to BP a few ounces over 200lbs. Spent a year of working out (while I was in the service) and it really didn't make much of an improvement.

Now, at 71, I do three sets of 35 pushups, and an assortment of other exercises in each session, but I've never experienced a significant increase in STRENGTH, despite working out three days per week for the past 45 years.

I often think that if the salesmen for these gyms ever pointed ME out as an example of what prospective customers would look like in time, they would never sell another membership.
You're doing it wrong.

In seventh and eighth grade I did have the record for bench press and squats yet at sixty I just do as best I can.

Last edited:
At 55 I dont give a crap what I can bench.
I'm just happy to get out of bed in the morning.
In my High School days I could leg press 1000 lbs,that came from years of racing bicycles.
I'd load up all the weights it could hold and have three or four dudes standing on the machine.
I was more into riding and basketball so I concentrated on leg strength.

I haven't put up more than 200 in probably a year and a half. I've only been working out with a hundred pounds last few months since I've got my health back. As far as the bench goes anyway. I'm cutting at the moment, so I'll let you know in a few months. Ha. If I really wanted to, I know I could put it up a couple of times, but that's just dumb to try to do now.

Last edited:

View attachment 389735

I would do three sets of 10 reps at 200 lbs pretty easy. I never was interested in my max. I would guess I could do at least 10 reps at 225 once. I would guess my max was 250-300 lbs.

The problem with my years of lifting was an umbilical hernia. That ended that.

View attachment 389735

How often in real life will you be laying on your back pushing a bar off of your chest?

And I find it funny that these people who can bench press their body weight or more can barely do 5 pull ups.

I've seen guys at the gym doing Lat pull downs with so much weight that they have to be held down but again they can't do shit for pull ups.

I've seen guys squat obscene amounts of weight but they can't do a one legged body weight squat

I don't bother with heavy weights and one rep maximums but rather focus on functional strength.

Forum List

Back