How does anything improve without the profit incentive...

So... the United States declared independence from England... not for a set of moral principles... but for profit? Is that what I am understanding as being said here?

The OP is veiled dishonesty, because any net positive incentive to do something can be spun as "profit" when the term "profit" is so loosely defined. Its a mental masturbation, a useless one. Everything i life that is a net positive is not "profit," profit refers to money.

Some researchers for example lost loved ones to the disease theyre now looking to find a cure for. That is not a profit incentive. Unless you circle jerk it into one with mental masturbation and spun words. Same as the caveman analogy.

So... the United States declared independence from England... not for a set of moral principles... but for profit? Is that what I am understanding as being said here?

No shock you don't understand.
But how much did economic issues play a role in the desire from independence from a foreign entity that insisted on massive 3% taxes?

No, the Left at best think profit is a dirty necessity. If they could wave a wand and have it disappear they would in a heartbeat. It's somehow...well...dirty. Like petting.

The OP is veiled dishonesty, because any net positive incentive to do something can be spun as "profit" when the term "profit" is so loosely defined. Its a mental masturbation, a useless one. Everything i life that is a net positive is not "profit," profit refers to money.

Some researchers for example lost loved ones to the disease theyre now looking to find a cure for. That is not a profit incentive. Unless you circle jerk it into one with mental masturbation and spun words. Same as the caveman analogy.

Hmm. how do those researchers get paid? Do they just volunteer for the job?

It's irrelevant if the pay is not their motive.

What's my profit incentive for inventing and building my own equipment tree for my home recording hobby? I don't sell anything.....

It's just a silly premise is all.

Yea, profit is usually involved with innovation, but to say "always" is a giant leap.

What's my profit incentive for inventing and building my own equipment tree for my home recording hobby? I don't sell anything.....

Yea, profit is usually involved with innovation, but to say "always" is a giant leap.

So you're saying if their employers stopped paying them they would continue to show up for work and do it gratis? Really?
I think you've found the magic formula for cutting healthcare costs in this country. Congratulations!

So you're saying if their employers stopped paying them they would continue to show up for work and do it gratis? Really?

No,

I'm saying that not every advancement is achieved because of a profit motive.

No,

And that is wrong. ANd you have failed to prove it at all.

Simply put, how would people conduct their private lives if they had no budgetary restraints and an endless supply of credit?

You'd have the U.S. government...

No,

Unless you're going to define "profit" as an all encompassing "everything positive," there's literally thousands of examples of innovation and advancement with no profit motive.

Convenience, as a start. Love/compassion. Necessity.

All motives for advancement aside from profit.

No,

Unless you're going to define "profit" as an all encompassing "everything positive," there's literally thousands of examples of innovation and advancement with no profit motive.

That only works if you define "advancement" as anything positive. In the real world actual advances that make a difference are always and everywhere the result of the profit motive.

That only works if you define "advancement" as anything positive. In the real world actual advances that make a difference are always and everywhere the result of the profit motive.

No, not "always."

Hardly, that's completely ridiculous.

When man discovered how to create fire, there was no profit motive. When irrigation systems were created to feed self sustaining villages - no profit motive.
When tribes engineer defense weapons to defend from would be hostiles, no profit motive.

When man began creating clothing out of animal fur to keep from freezing to death - no profit motive.

Penicillin's founder in medicine took no money. Guess that's a pretty major freakin' advancement with no profit motive.

Last edited:
Profit incentives are fine and not be affected by social market democracy.

Pretty much when you get right down to it. High taxes, no representation on how those taxes were spent. Interference with trade. Crown ownership of all.

If there had been no motivation to profit, those principles would never have been formed.

According to a 2012 report by the Center for Civil Society Studies at Johns Hopkins University, nonprofit employment represents 10.1 percent of total employment in the United States in 2010, with total employees numbering 10.7 million. The nonprofit workforce is the third largest of all U.S. industries behind retail trade and manufacturing.
Number of people employed in the nonprofit sector

10.7 million people depending on being paid by organizations that depend on either TAXES or donations.

Think about that the next time you hear our president exhort people to "public service".
Take a look at the below list of ALL the projects Obama has pushed ... NONE of which designed to encourage business TAX PAYING growth... but
increasing the above nonprofit employees!
Where does the money come to pay for these projects? For these nonprofit employees' salaries?
The Obameter: Campaign Promises that are about Public Service | PolitiFact

Most college economics faculty don't believe in profits..

What a very limited understanding of human nature you have, if you really believe that.

The profit motive is a very powerful driver of human action, but it isn't the only one. If that were true, then the sole motivator of human action would be money. It may be the most powerful, but it certainly isn't the only one.

And your last sentence is very silly.

TASB = :rofl: to the rest of us.

He thinks the Preamble to the Constitution is a statement of individual liberty.

Forum List

Back