How do the non-spiritual explain it?

I don't know that David Blane isn't really doing magic. I can't explain everything he does. But I'm sure its not supernatural power. Sorry I don't believe other peoples encounters with the supernatural. There is always a better explanation including the power of suggestion.

None of them? In all the assorted areas I mentioned in the OP and all the billions of accounts... not a single one has any validity or legitimacy? 0% possibility... absolutely certain? I can be rational enough to think that 100% couldn't be valid and legitimate, but certainly some must be.

It just fascinates me to talk to people who have built such a parameter of denial in their minds.

How many things did we once think must be god that turned out to be scientifically explained.

Zero supernatural
Everything God does can be explained scientifically. Well, that which can't be can just be denied. ;)

How does he hide? Scientifically. How did he turn 5 loaves and 3 fish into a feast for 5000.
'Scientifically' he does not exist, now does he? We promise not to open the lid to your little box.
You said everything he does can be explained scientifically. How did he turn 5 loaves and 3/fish into a feast for 5000. The only scientific explanation I can think of is that never happened and people made it up. Bet it isn't even an original story.

I don't know that David Blane isn't really doing magic. I can't explain everything he does. But I'm sure its not supernatural power. Sorry I don't believe other peoples encounters with the supernatural. There is always a better explanation including the power of suggestion.

None of them? In all the assorted areas I mentioned in the OP and all the billions of accounts... not a single one has any validity or legitimacy? 0% possibility... absolutely certain? I can be rational enough to think that 100% couldn't be valid and legitimate, but certainly some must be.

It just fascinates me to talk to people who have built such a parameter of denial in their minds.

How many things did we once think must be god that turned out to be scientifically explained.

Zero supernatural
Everything God does can be explained scientifically. Well, that which can't be can just be denied. ;)

How does he hide? Scientifically. How did he turn 5 loaves and 3 fish into a feast for 5000.
who says he did? A book full of fairy tales isn't proof. Just like Mercury flew on winged shoes.

Exactly!

Can you imagine showing the people of Jesus' day your smart phone? They would think you were a god.

Hell just show them a butane lighter or eclipse and they'd believe that was god. And were suppose to believe what they saw? Not a chance. God needs to come back if he wants followers.

But if he does even christians won't believe it.

Setting aside the various criticisms of religious beliefs for a moment, and pretending the whimsical dismissal of God is perfectly 'natural' for man and all... how do the non-spiritualists explain the following....

Astral projection experiences.
Near-death experiences.
Transcendental meditation.
ESP and telepathy.
Ghost stories and paranormal experiences.
Other unexplained supernatural phenomenon.
Spells, curses and black magic.
Edgar Cayce.
Nostradamus.
Prophecy in general.

Is every single bit of it a bunch of hooey caused by our fears and imagination?

To me, it just seems as if there might be something more here. Especially in the case of people like Edgar Cayce. If you've never studied up on him, it's worth a search and read... fascinating man. His uncanny ability to predict the future was beyond anything we've ever known. He gave over 14k readings but that includes a brief period where he didn't do them because he was getting headaches. People were exploiting his power to win horse races and trade stock and he believed this was why he was getting the headaches. After some time, he did more readings but only his trusted wife was allowed to ask him questions.

Can our physical sciences understand this?

Exorsisms ghosts angels devils and gods don't exist. I'd like to know if that guy ever invited science to come and verify him or before that could happen did he start having headaches?

How do you explain the long island lady who talks to dead people?

How do you explain David copperfield?

Psychology was explaining how unreliable the brain is as far as taking anyones word for what they saw. Brian williams may actually believe his embellished story. So I don't care about stories I or science hasn't verified.

Dear sealybobo just because these things are not real to you or proven to you doesn't mean they don't exist
don't you think that is a bit egocentric to believe it is not even possible to be true if you haven't seen it proven yet
it could still be possibly true and you just haven't seen science prove it

microbes weren't believed to exist until microscopes were invented that could show these things visually
doesn't mean they didn't exist before there was proof

how convenient that you have to exclude the testimonies of people who were plagued by demonic voices
and then these were later cured by exorcism

in order to maintain the theory these are not possibly true
you ahve to ASSUME they are false when you haven't experienced what these people went through

one of my closest friends who is atheist went through deliverance to get rid of demons he had
are you going to say that isn't true and he was making up his own pain and suffering
he couldn't shake these voices and choose to make them go away until after he went through the healing prayer
to forgive the abuses that these rages were attached to

same with the patients in Dr. Peck's books where they reported very similar.
one used the same terms of my friend and said it felt like rape to remove this sickness
but afterwards they recovered and no longer have demon voices in their heads

how dare you assume these people are lying about their experiences
just because you are lucky enough not to suffer as they did

that is egocentric to think that nothing can exist that you haven't experienced for yourself

people's minds and lives have been saved by exorcism and deliverance prayers

you can read all these testimonies online and in books
(Peck "Glimpses of the Devil" or Martin's books on cases of possession)

or you can "conveniently" say they are all FALSE because you haven't seen it for yourself

and then "conveniently" refuse to look into such cases so you can continue to claim they don't exist.

how scientific is that? to keep avoiding the control group so you can keep assuming your theory is true?

Sorry I don't believe in demons possessing people. Science explains those people are mentally I'll.

Do you believe in UFO"s big foot and witches? How dare you not believe all the people who do.

I remain open to god like you are open to these things.

Bottom line - we simply do not know what the human mind is capable of. We may solve the question of the beginning of the universe before we figure out the mind. As long as we lack the knowledge it lacks logic to say one is wrong and one is right. The mind often plays tricks on us and a small example is multiple witnesses to an event with all of their testimonies being different. We have five witnesses and thus five realities. Ever look for something like your watch and not find it hen go back and look a second time only to see it? It was there all along but you looked right at it but did not see. Isn't the mind responsible for everything, good and bad? We believe in what we believe because of persuasion in one form or another. every single human ever born is unique.

Bottom line - we simply do not know what the human mind is capable of. We may solve the question of the beginning of the universe before we figure out the mind. As long as we lack the knowledge it lacks logic to say one is wrong and one is right. The mind often plays tricks on us and a small example is multiple witnesses to an event with all of their testimonies being different. We have five witnesses and thus five realities. Ever look for something like your watch and not find it hen go back and look a second time only to see it? It was there all along but you looked right at it but did not see. Isn't the mind responsible for everything, good and bad? We believe in what we believe because of persuasion in one form or another. every single human ever born is unique.
Atheists see clearly where god came from. God didn't make us we made up god.

And are you talking about a generic god or the Muslim Jew christian Mormon ones? Because us atheists are open to the idea something might have created our universe. Were just fairly certain the Abraham gods arent real. Do you get that?

And are you talking about a generic god or the Muslim Jew christian Mormon ones? Because us atheists are open to the idea something might have created our universe. Were just fairly certain the Abraham gods arent real. Do you get that?

I don't even mention God in my post and atheists clearly see nothing. They simply do not believe but that does not confirm them to be correct.

I don't even mention God in my post and atheists clearly see nothing. They simply do not believe but that does not confirm them to be correct.

Does it matter if I don't believe what I can't see or any conclusions science hasn't verified yet?

In other words will I go to hell if I don't believe in the spiritual or supernatural?

Does it matter if I don't believe what I can't see or any conclusions science hasn't verified yet?

In other words will I go to hell if I don't believe in the spiritual or supernatural?
Heck if I know I am but a simple man with a simple plan, get happy and stay happy with faith or without it.

Heck if I know I am but a simple man with a simple plan, get happy and stay happy with faith or without it.

Amen brother. I don't buy any organized religion. And there were many of them long before even the Egyptian and Greek gods. What we have now is just the result of thousands of years of thinking about it. Where has it got us? So it may make a lot of people feel better about themselves but I don't think it makes them happy. And I feel sad that they need it. And mad if they try to start wars over it or tells me I'm going to hell for not believing or argues were a christian nation when were a secular one.

Anyways the truth is so much better. Consider yourself lucky not blessed because like an ant you are not blessed. But you are luckier than an ant because its low on the food chain and doesnt live up to 100 years and isn't as smart as you. But like some ants die young so do people. Just luck.

Imagine if your parents never met or waited 1/year to have kids. You'd have never been here but another animal with your DNA would. We came from a fish that crawled out of the water. We are related to every living thing. Evolution.

And this planet will die along with everything on it. But life continues on other planets and will continue.

I could go on and on. Just consider yourself lucky you've lived at all let alone a great life. Don't have a great life? Make it better. Its short and you only live once. Enjoy the moment.

Or do you think without it people will do bad things? Just look what they do with it. Religion keeps people to stop asking questions. It has all the answers

Setting aside the various criticisms of religious beliefs for a moment, and pretending the whimsical dismissal of God is perfectly 'natural' for man and all... how do the non-spiritualists explain the following....

Astral projection experiences.
Near-death experiences.
Transcendental meditation.
ESP and telepathy.
Ghost stories and paranormal experiences.
Other unexplained supernatural phenomenon.
Spells, curses and black magic.
Edgar Cayce.
Nostradamus.
Prophecy in general.

Is every single bit of it a bunch of hooey caused by our fears and imagination?

To me, it just seems as if there might be something more here. Especially in the case of people like Edgar Cayce. If you've never studied up on him, it's worth a search and read... fascinating man. His uncanny ability to predict the future was beyond anything we've ever known. He gave over 14k readings but that includes a brief period where he didn't do them because he was getting headaches. People were exploiting his power to win horse races and trade stock and he believed this was why he was getting the headaches. After some time, he did more readings but only his trusted wife was allowed to ask him questions.

Can our physical sciences understand this?

I think the truth is so much better. We don't know how or why but something created everything we see. OUP sun didn't even form for billions of years after the big bang. We are but one of maybe an infinite number of planets probably lots of life out there. The things smart enough to ponder ask how too. But we arent special other than we are the highest on the food chain same as them. Are they superstitious or scientific? Are they good to each other? Are we?

Anyways we have birth defects and can't live naked in outer space like tardigrades can. In other words were just one animal on one planet. Superstitious but curious and intelligent nothing more.

I know you believe god talks to you but honestly are you trying to convince us or you?

What supernatural laws can you define for us that will explain the natural world?

Dear Hollie
If you consider the healing effect of forgiveness on the human mind, body and relations,
would you consider this "supernatural" as in "forgiveness being DIVINE"
or would you consider this just natural laws of health and healing?

That forgiveness reduces stress so it improves health and facilitates healing
by not letting resentful or negative energy block the flow of positive life energy.

And forgiveness prevents negative thoughts from skewing or biasing perception,
so that one remains openminded and neutral instead of rejecting possibilities
as needed to apply the scientific method without bias and leaving out variables.

I was trying to explain to Boss that all these "spiritual" things can still be
considered part of the universe and following laws, discovered or not.

But if you would agree that the level that "forgiveness" energy works
to heal people "spiritually" counts as something "supernatural"
then all we have to do is prove that "spiritual process" works consistently
and you would have proof of the supernatural if that's what you call this.

Amen brother. I don't buy any organized religion. And there were many of them long before even the Egyptian and Greek gods. What we have now is just the result of thousands of years of thinking about it. Where has it got us? So it may make a lot of people feel better about themselves but I don't think it makes them happy. And I feel sad that they need it. And mad if they try to start wars over it or tells me I'm going to hell for not believing or argues were a christian nation when were a secular one.

Anyways the truth is so much better. Consider yourself lucky not blessed because like an ant you are not blessed. But you are luckier than an ant because its low on the food chain and doesnt live up to 100 years and isn't as smart as you. But like some ants die young so do people. Just luck.

Imagine if your parents never met or waited 1/year to have kids. You'd have never been here but another animal with your DNA would. We came from a fish that crawled out of the water. We are related to every living thing. Evolution.

And this planet will die along with everything on it. But life continues on other planets and will continue.

I could go on and on. Just consider yourself lucky you've lived at all let alone a great life. Don't have a great life? Make it better. Its short and you only live once. Enjoy the moment.

Or do you think without it people will do bad things? Just look what they do with it. Religion keeps people to stop asking questions. It has all the answers

sealybobo
Does Constitutional govt count as an organized religion?
Maybe you don't buy into any of the Godbased religions.
What about Political religions?
Do you align with liberal beliefs, or Constitutional beliefs
in freedom of or from religion, free speech and press,
right to assemble peaceably and petition to redress grievances,
due process and equal protection/representation/defense under law,
right of security and right to privacy/rights of people and states separate from federal govt.

Do you believe in any of these principles, or a variation/combination of them,
and doesn't that constitute a political belief (or set of beliefs being a political religion)?

To be honest, I am learning more and more that my convictions
about equality by Constitutional principles count as a political belief or religion.
Especially where I find my denomination disagrees with either party that
impose their beliefs on the other and don't count that as unconstitutional as I do.

So if my beliefs are a political religion,
doesn't that mean that left and right are denominations of a related body of principles?

Is Constitutional law a religion based on natural laws made statutory?

sealybobo
Does Constitutional govt count as an organized religion?
Maybe you don't buy into any of the Godbased religions.
What about Political religions?
Do you align with liberal beliefs, or Constitutional beliefs
in freedom of or from religion, free speech and press,
right to assemble peaceably and petition to redress grievances,
due process and equal protection/representation/defense under law,
right of security and right to privacy/rights of people and states separate from federal govt.

Do you believe in any of these principles, or a variation/combination of them,
and doesn't that constitute a political belief (or set of beliefs being a political religion)?

To be honest, I am learning more and more that my convictions
about equality by Constitutional principles count as a political belief or religion.
Especially where I find my denomination disagrees with either party that
impose their beliefs on the other and don't count that as unconstitutional as I do.

So if my beliefs are a political religion,
doesn't that mean that left and right are denominations of a related body of principles?

Is Constitutional law a religion based on natural laws made statutory?

Like with religions no two members of a political party agrees on everything. What we can agree on is thou shall not murder. Drop the god lie and were good.

the same laws still work the same way.

But we know this is not true in physical nature.

For instance, at the speed of light, time stands still. This defies reality, but it's what happens. That's why a black hole is black, even the light particles have no timespace to exist. As objects reach the event horizon on the outer walls of a black hole, they begin to reach the speed of light and time slows down until 'poof' it stops.

At the atomic level, the famous double-slit experiment seemingly defies laws of physics.Light is a particle and a wave at the same time. It's protons can go through either slit or both slits at the same time, depending on if they are observed. There is no scientific explanation of the observer effect, it defies what should be. Subatomic particles can be connected to other subatomic particles billions of light years away and communicate instantly. Why? How can information travel billions of light years instantly?

For 2000 years, the physics laws of gravity and levity presented by Aristotle, are the "same laws still work the same way". Newton turned that on it's ear and gave us the laws of motion. Later, Einstein and Plank would challenge those laws. So our laws are ever-changing.
You should void using Answers in Genesis for your science data.

It would take an infinite amount of energy to actually propel an object to the speed of light so it's best to think in terms of an object approaching the speed of light. Nothing in the above defies reality.

As far as science can make a determination, that is the reality so how can that possibly defy reality?

The physical laws that are operating in the universe are not "ever-changing". Our understanding of those laws is what changes as knowledge and technology expands our understanding.

What supernatural laws can you define for us that will explain the natural world?
Emily is harder than christianity to understand. I hate it when good christians like her try to think of a new way they can explain their delisions.

For instance, at the speed of light, time stands still. This defies reality, but it's what happens. That's why a black hole is black, even the light particles have no timespace to exist. As objects reach the event horizon on the outer walls of a black hole, they begin to reach the speed of light and time slows down until 'poof' it stops.

At the atomic level, the famous double-slit experiment seemingly defies laws of physics.Light is a particle and a wave at the same time. It's protons can go through either slit or both slits at the same time, depending on if they are observed. There is no scientific explanation of the observer effect, it defies what should be. Subatomic particles can be connected to other subatomic particles billions of light years away and communicate instantly. Why? How can information travel billions of light years instantly?

For 2000 years, the physics laws of gravity and levity presented by Aristotle, are the "same laws still work the same way". Newton turned that on it's ear and gave us the laws of motion. Later, Einstein and Plank would challenge those laws. So our laws are ever-changing.

It would take an infinite amount of energy to actually propel an object to the speed of light so it's best to think in terms of an object approaching the speed of light. Nothing in the above defies reality.

As far as science can make a determination, that is the reality so how can that possibly defy reality?

The physical laws that are operating in the universe are not "ever-changing". Our understanding of those laws is what changes as knowledge and technology expands our understanding.

I agree with the advice about avoiding Answers in Genesis. (I don't know about voiding it. ;) ) Those explanations are so sort-of right as to be misleading.

While I think our search for an understanding is noble there seems to be nothing that man understands that they don't want to control. We tried to build the tower of Babel once before. Although he did not blow us all to bits he did scatter us far and wide. We will only listen to that which we learn 'scientifically' when there is so much more we could learn from listening to God. Job 38 21:23 Knowest thou it, because thou wast then born? or because the number of they days is great? Has thou entered into the treasures of the snow? or hast thou seen the treasures of the hail, Which I have reserved against the time of trouble, against the day of battle and war?

Dear Hollie
If you consider the healing effect of forgiveness on the human mind, body and relations,
would you consider this "supernatural" as in "forgiveness being DIVINE"
or would you consider this just natural laws of health and healing?

That forgiveness reduces stress so it improves health and facilitates healing
by not letting resentful or negative energy block the flow of positive life energy.

And forgiveness prevents negative thoughts from skewing or biasing perception,
so that one remains openminded and neutral instead of rejecting possibilities
as needed to apply the scientific method without bias and leaving out variables.

I was trying to explain to Boss that all these "spiritual" things can still be
considered part of the universe and following laws, discovered or not.

But if you would agree that the level that "forgiveness" energy works
to heal people "spiritually" counts as something "supernatural"
then all we have to do is prove that "spiritual process" works consistently
and you would have proof of the supernatural if that's what you call this.
Emily,

If you have knowledge of some mechanism whereby Boss's alleged supernatural / magical spirit realms are testable, please let us know.

I agree with the advice about avoiding Answers in Genesis. (I don't know about voiding it. ;) ) Those explanations are so sort-of right as to be misleading.

While I think our search for an understanding is noble there seems to be nothing that man understands that they don't want to control. We tried to build the tower of Babel once before. Although he did not blow us all to bits he did scatter us far and wide. We will only listen to that which we learn 'scientifically' when there is so much more we could learn from listening to God. Job 38 21:23 Knowest thou it, because thou wast then born? or because the number of they days is great? Has thou entered into the treasures of the snow? or hast thou seen the treasures of the hail, Which I have reserved against the time of trouble, against the day of battle and war?
When we found answers and cures it was science not god

Your argument against religion seems to be that you do not like the way some people practice it.

Quantum Physics predicts there are as many as 11 dimensions in our universe.

One notable feature of string theory and M-theory is that these theories require extra dimensions of spacetime for their mathematical consistency. In string theory, spacetime is ten-dimensional, while in M-theory it is eleven-dimensional. In order to describe real physical phenomena using these theories, one must therefore imagine scenarios in which these extra dimensions would not be observed in experiments.

*cue Twilight Zone music.​
When you get to spiritual existing at the molecular level,,,let us know...

Your argument against religion seems to be that you do not like the way some people practice it.

Of course that's my problem with believing in god(s). I don't think we will ever solve the argument "does god exist". In fact I'm sure we won't. And when muslims and christians continue killing in the name of ____ and you ask if that's my problem? Of course it is.

Human behavior is also why I firmly believe that we made god up. And unless you believe in one of the nutty religions I guess it doesn't matter if I believe because god never came here and told anyone that believing he visited is the main requirement to get into heaven. That is clearly man made bullshit. Could I be wrong? I'll take my chances based on the evidence I feel pretty safe.

From the looks of it when you learn psychology, cosmology, quantum physics, human history, geology and the history of religion that god is nothing but a fairy tale we came up with.

I don't sit around worrying about what's going to happen to me when I die. Seems pointless or wishful thinking to believe you are going to live forever after you die. I spend more time wondering how we can get the human race to live forever. This planet is doomed. We need to build spaceships so that the human race's existence doesn't die when our sun expires. I know I'll be long dead by then but I care. It would be a shame to have come all this way for nothing like the dinosaurs & trilobites who once ruled this planet.

In fact when I look at Republicans who claim to be very religious and then I see how they don't want to educate or feed the poor or heal the sick, I realize they believe in 2 gods. Their main god is the god of capitalism. Second is Jesus.

Forum List

Back