How Covid Has Changed Our Daily Lives

There has been so much written about Covid, all the deaths, the battle over vaccines, government subsidies, the politics, the science, etc, etc. But what about the changes in our daily lives. Here are a couple to get us started.

A friend of my wife is married has two kids, lives in an apartment with a rent of $1200 a month. During the epidemic the family has been able to keep their jobs, pay their rent, and other expenses. Last week they got a notice from their landlord that their rent was going up to $2100 a month starting next month, a $900 a month increase. The landlord told them there has been so many people not paying their rent that he has no choice. The rules on eviction has changed due to covid so that it is almost impossible to evict anyone. In spite of the stupidly of this, they are faced with finding a new apartment or paying the rent increase. Since they don't want to ruin their credit by not paying their rent, they will be looking for a new home.

The wife was fixing a big Italian meal for the family so I decided to get a couple of bottles of Chianti. So I went to a large supermarket where there was a large wine selection. Usually they had someone in the department to help customers since they had thousands of bottles of wine. There was nobody so after 15 mins of looking, I went to the service desk and ask for help. I was told they no longer had a wine steward but they had a guy that could help. While I waited she asked what I was looking for and when I told her she ask the cashier if she had ever heard of something called Chianti. He ask what is it? Finally the guy that was to help me arrived and explained that he was new and didn't know where the wine dept. was and had no idea what Chianti was and pointed to a sign.
"We are sorry for the inconvenience but have lost most of our long term employees and we are running on a skeleton staff. Please be kind to them and be thankful they showed up to work."

Later that day, the wife gave me a shopping list for the big dinner. It had 15 items on it. I found no pork chops so I got Chicken, no romaine lettuce so I got a bag of something green, no graded cheese so I got block cheese, no buttermilk, so I found it after going to 3 stores. By the time I was done, I was ready for frozen dinners. This reminds me of what it was like in WWII on the Homefront.

One thing needs to be made very clear.

All the harm that has been done to us as individuals, and as a society, in connection with COVID-1984. The destruction of freedoms, the rise of corrupt tyranny, the economic destruction—all of it.

The COVID-1984 itself is not the cause of any of it. It is merely a tool, an excuse.

The cause of all of this is corrupt criminal politicians who have used COVID-1984 as a vehicle to spread lies and exaggerations and fearmongering, to enable them to seize and abuse powers over us to which they have no legitimate claim.

Please get vaccinated and end this thing now.

You cannot comply your way out off tyranny. That you would even think of suggesting is shows how severely your mind has been damaged by all the brainwashing. Either that, or you are knowingly and willfully complicit.

Either way, fuck you very much. Go ahead and take their poison, if you choose. Just leave those of us who are smart enough to know better, the fuck alone.

The wife was fixing a big Italian meal for the family so I decided to get a couple of bottles of Chianti. So I went to a large supermarket where there was a large wine selection. Usually they had someone in the department to help customers since they had thousands of bottles of wine. There was nobody so after 15 mins of looking, I went to the service desk and ask for help. I was told they no longer had a wine steward but they had a guy that could help. While I waited she asked what I was looking for and when I told her she ask the cashier if she had ever heard of something called Chianti. He ask what is it? Finally the guy that was to help me arrived and explained that he was new and didn't know where the wine dept. was and had no idea what Chianti was and pointed to a sign.
"We are sorry for the inconvenience but have lost most of our long term employees and we are running on a skeleton staff. Please be kind to them and be thankful they showed up to work."

Why have they lost their long term employees? Did they pay so poorly they lost them? More information would be helpful.

Later that day, the wife gave me a shopping list for the big dinner. It had 15 items on it. I found no pork chops so I got Chicken, no romaine lettuce so I got a bag of something green, no graded cheese so I got block cheese, no buttermilk, so I found it after going to 3 stores. By the time I was done, I was ready for frozen dinners. This reminds me of what it was like in WWII on the Homefront.

Just went grocery shopping myself. A full cart and the only single thing I wanted that I could not find was Bia. The wife loves the stuff, I cannot stand it. But all they had was 2 our of the 10 flavors. Nothing else was missing. Seems you location has issues, where do you live?

One of the not talked about changes is the way we work, especially white collar, professional jobs. This would be a terrible time to be in Commercial Real Estate. Companies have found out that people can get their work done without being in a office environment with other employees.

ATT in St Louis made 50% of their employees full time, permanent remote. The Fed Govt is doing the same for many agencies that are not customer facing jobs. My brother is an architect and while they were working from home he moved 1.5 hours away from the office. In July his company told them all they would be expected back in the office in August. My brother told them he would quit if they made him come back to the office, his company asked if he would like them to ship his Office Chair to his home for him to use while working.

Places like Boise are being blown up with Tech workers that no longer need to go to an office every day.

These are good changes.

Odd... A friend of mine back home is going through the eviction process right now... Depending on the hearing "verdict", she will have five days to vacate.

I was looking for some Merlot once for a recipe my late spouse was cooking. I knew I was in trouble when the guy at the super market called it "Mer-LOT" (rhymes with bot)... LOL.

Odd...again, I didn't have any trouble finding obscure items for Thanksgiving much less the "meat and potatoes" I have nightly. The other day we had sauteed mushrooms with roasted broccoli and chicken thighs.... home made blueberry cobbler for dessert. Dinner tonight was steamed shrimp over three types of greens and diced tomatoes. I hit it with a little lemon juice and it sparkled.

----

As for the changes in day-to-day life... I don't mean to make too much of it--and maybe I'm not--but when 40% of the nation refuses to take a lifesaving vaccine for political reasons anyone who looks at it soberly cannot hold out much hope for the nation. This on top of all of the volumes of misinformation and outright disinformation willfully broadcasted over platforms like this.
On one hand, I guess we should be thankful that some of the more ridiculous conspiracy theories have lost traction...

View attachment 583695

On the other hand, one would think that the consistently duped idiots who buy into these theories would wise up.
I have always believe the reason to get people vaccinated is not to save lives but to save our way of life. If we don't get enough people vaccinated, there will be another variant, maybe worst, and the current situation gets worst.

Don't know about all of you but I'm tired of this shit, not being able to find the goods we need, getting kids in school and not distance learning, and most of all the never ending news of more cases, more deaths, and more restrictions.

I agree saving our way of life is certain a good reason to get vaccinated. However, I doubt that reason would have any effect on hardcore vaccine hesitancy because vaccine hesitancy is rooted in political partisanship. Only 6% of democrats say they will not get vaccinated compared to 46% of republicans. This high percent of republicans who reject vaccines is largely due to their very low level of confidence in major societal institutions including government, science, media, and education institutions which happen to be the institution at the forefront of vaccine persuasion efforts.

The bottom line is that we will never be able to get the high level of immunity needed to eradicate the virus, somewhere around 90%. Eventually yearly deaths in the US will fall from hundreds of thousands a year to tens thousands as the virus becomes become endemic which means it will become seasonal like the flu. How soon before the virus becomes endemic and life becomes more normal depends on our immunity through natural immunity and vaccines. However, we should not expect our way to ever return to the way it was before covid.

One of the not talked about changes is the way we work, especially white collar, professional jobs. This would be a terrible time to be in Commercial Real Estate. Companies have found out that people can get their work done without being in a office environment with other employees.

ATT in St Louis made 50% of their employees full time, permanent remote. The Fed Govt is doing the same for many agencies that are not customer facing jobs. My brother is an architect and while they were working from home he moved 1.5 hours away from the office. In July his company told them all they would be expected back in the office in August. My brother told them he would quit if they made him come back to the office, his company asked if he would like them to ship his Office Chair to his home for him to use while working.

Places like Boise are being blown up with Tech workers that no longer need to go to an office every day.

These are good changes.
You nailed one the major changes with Covid that will become part of the new normal as the epidemic subsides , working from home, remote meeting through technology, and less need of commercial real estate for offices. There will be many side effects from this, less traffic during peak travel times, more women and the disabled people in the workplace. The home office will become a necessity in millions of homes. It will cause problems for many people who will feel isolated with less direct human contact.

Another change in our lives due to Covid, has been disease prevention such as hand washing, use of hand sanitizers, social distancing, isolation when sick, and masking. Many of these habits will continue after Covid which mean fewer cases of the flu, colds, and viruses.

There are lot of other questions about how much home entertainment, internet buying, and distance learning will effect our lives after covid.

Odd... A friend of mine back home is going through the eviction process right now... Depending on the hearing "verdict", she will have five days to vacate.

I was looking for some Merlot once for a recipe my late spouse was cooking. I knew I was in trouble when the guy at the super market called it "Mer-LOT" (rhymes with bot)... LOL.

Odd...again, I didn't have any trouble finding obscure items for Thanksgiving much less the "meat and potatoes" I have nightly. The other day we had sauteed mushrooms with roasted broccoli and chicken thighs.... home made blueberry cobbler for dessert. Dinner tonight was steamed shrimp over three types of greens and diced tomatoes. I hit it with a little lemon juice and it sparkled.

----

As for the changes in day-to-day life... I don't mean to make too much of it--and maybe I'm not--but when 40% of the nation refuses to take a lifesaving vaccine for political reasons anyone who looks at it soberly cannot hold out much hope for the nation. This on top of all of the volumes of misinformation and outright disinformation willfully broadcasted over platforms like this.
On one hand, I guess we should be thankful that some of the more ridiculous conspiracy theories have lost traction...

View attachment 583695

On the other hand, one would think that the consistently duped idiots who buy into these theories would wise up.

You're just plain stupid if you think we aren't taking it for Political reasons.

I agree saving our way of life is certain a good reason to get vaccinated. However, I doubt that reason would have any effect on hardcore vaccine hesitancy because vaccine hesitancy is rooted in political partisanship. Only 6% of democrats say they will not get vaccinated compared to 46% of republicans. This high percent of republicans who reject vaccines is largely due to their very low level of confidence in major societal institutions including government, science, media, and education institutions which happen to be the institution at the forefront of vaccine persuasion efforts.

The bottom line is that we will never be able to get the high level of immunity needed to eradicate the virus, somewhere around 90%. Eventually yearly deaths in the US will fall from hundreds of thousands a year to tens thousands as the virus becomes become endemic which means it will become seasonal like the flu. How soon before the virus becomes endemic and life becomes more normal depends on our immunity through natural immunity and vaccines. However, we should not expect our way to ever return to the way it was before covid.

Agree. I'm sure there are other more relevant examples out there but there are times when one generation has the advantage of distance (distance on a time line) to look back and ask those of earlier generations..."what in the fuck were you thinking?" Folks younger than me probably ask their parents about the discrimination against gays and lesbians. People my age asked their parents about segregation in the 1950's and 60's. My parent's likely asked their grand parents about how they ignored the militarizations of Germany and Japan and decided that our oceanic borders were sufficient enough to insulate us. They asked their grandparents about slavery.... Those who were around at the time in Europe probably asked their parents about why they didn't go to the new world...etc... This is going to be a question that gets asked of those who survive..."you had this safe, effective, free, and plentiful vaccine and you decided not to take it while there were 1,000+ people dying every day?"

The difference is the times, of course. Whereas you had some nationalism back in the day, I am doubtful that republicans would care too much if California (the state that cast the most votes for Trump by the way) were to have that massive earthquake and suffer a land mass loss. We had differences in the past but the hostility the right wing has drummed up into a way of life doesn't bode well for our nation's future. Vaccine hesitancy is just the latest example.

I went out shopping the other day. . . that sort of stuff is starting to ripple up through here too. No chicken in these parts.

Lettuce isn't around either.

I find it ironic that a board leftist is complaining about economic controls by technocrats which have caused all this. . .

:rolleyes:

602j5j.jpg

Maybe that leftist is really an independent that swingers both ways. I suspect that there are a lot more like this than you think.

One thing I have really found odd is pricing and availability these days. I bought a large box of cat litter on sale for $6.95. The next day I was in another store and the same cat litter was $13.95, twice the price. Monday after the New Years weekend, I stopped at Fred Meyer, a really large superstore with a large beer dept. Due to the holiday, I expect the beer supply to be low but not completely sold out.

Agree. I'm sure there are other more relevant examples out there but there are times when one generation has the advantage of distance (distance on a time line) to look back and ask those of earlier generations..."what in the fuck were you thinking?" Folks younger than me probably ask their parents about the discrimination against gays and lesbians. People my age asked their parents about segregation in the 1950's and 60's. My parent's likely asked their grand parents about how they ignored the militarizations of Germany and Japan and decided that our oceanic borders were sufficient enough to insulate us. They asked their grandparents about slavery.... Those who were around at the time in Europe probably asked their parents about why they didn't go to the new world...etc... This is going to be a question that gets asked of those who survive..."you had this safe, effective, free, and plentiful vaccine and you decided not to take it while there were 1,000+ people dying every day?"

The difference is the times, of course. Whereas you had some nationalism back in the day, I am doubtful that republicans would care too much if California (the state that cast the most votes for Trump by the way) were to have that massive earthquake and suffer a land mass loss. We had differences in the past but the hostility the right wing has drummed up into a way of life doesn't bode well for our nation's future. Vaccine hesitancy is just the latest example.
I think vaccine hesitancy is primarily due to institutions that are promoting vaccines, goverment, media, science, and education institutions, the very institutions that republicans distrust and democrats do trust. We've got 75% of adults with at least one vaccination. These were the easy ones to convince, democrats and republicans who are not at war with the institutions this country is built on today. IMHO, there is no way to convince this 25%. We should not waste the effort on them but rather getting the kids vaccinated, boosters and those that have not got their 2nd shot. And if a super variant hits and wipes out this 25%, it might not be such a bad thing.

I think vaccine hesitancy is primarily due to institutions that are promoting vaccines, goverment [sic], media, science, and education institutions, the very institutions that republicans distrust and democrats do trust.

Do you suppose the fact that for the past two years, these institutions have been openly, blatantly lying to us about nearly everything to do with the #CoronaHoax2020, might have something to do with the fact that those of us who have any intelligence or ability to think independently do not trust them? It's the “Boy Who Cried ‘Wolf!’” effect. They've lied so much, that in the unlikely event that they should ever tell the truth, nobody with better than a room-temperature IQ will believe them.

You are being lied to.

Since these, "vaccines," are notoriously leaky, and do not stop the spread, THEY are what is leading to mutations. This last mutation? Was in the spike protein, it was caused in a vaccinated person. . . as was probably the last one.

Leaky vaccines promote the transmission of more virulent virus​

‘Leaky’ Vaccines Can Produce Stronger Versions of Viruses​

By studying chickens, researchers say they have proven the theory that more virulent viruses can evolve from so-called “leaky” vaccines.
Me thinks you don't know of what you speak. Mutations are caused by errors in replication. The vaccine is not even in the body when this occurs. What is in the body are antibodies and T cells that research evidence shows that they reduce mutations.

The last mutation? What the fuck are talking about. The virus is mutating as we speak. Omicron had 36 known spike mutations when it was isolated.

Damn, I just broke my New Year's resolution. I said wouldn't waste my time with all this anti-vax misinformation.

Last edited:
Do you suppose the fact that for the past two years, these institutions have been openly, blatantly lying to us about nearly everything to do with the #CoronaHoax2020, might have something to do with the fact that those of us who have any intelligence or ability to think independently do not trust them? It's the “Boy Who Cried ‘Wolf!’” effect. They've lied so much, that in the unlikely event that they should ever tell the truth, nobody with better than a room-temperature IQ will believe them.
I suppose the fact is that for the past two years, first anti-vaxer then joined by republicans that hate the government, science, media, and especially institutions of higher education have developed a cottage industry whose product is lies and misinformation designed to stop the vaccinations. You have been at least partially successfully at convincing 25% to avoid vaccination. Of those unvaccinated about a thousand a day are dying of Corvid across the country. Come to think of it, that might not be such a bad thing.

One thing needs to be made very clear.

All the harm that has been done to us as individuals, and as a society, in connection with COVID-1984. The destruction of freedoms, the rise of corrupt tyranny, the economic destruction—all of it.

The COVID-1984 itself is not the cause of any of it. It is merely a tool, an excuse.

The cause of all of this is corrupt criminal politicians who have used COVID-1984 as a vehicle to spread lies and exaggerations and fearmongering, to enable them to seize and abuse powers over us to which they have no legitimate claim.
:cuckoo:

I suppose you are right wing extremists that will listen to any lie about goverment, media, science, or institutions of higher education that feeds your paranoia.
This ends here, it's getting too far off topic.

There has been so much written about Covid, all the deaths, the battle over vaccines, government subsidies, the politics, the science, etc, etc. But what about the changes in our daily lives. Here are a couple to get us started.

A friend of my wife is married has two kids, lives in an apartment with a rent of $1200 a month. During the epidemic the family has been able to keep their jobs, pay their rent, and other expenses. Last week they got a notice from their landlord that their rent was going up to $2100 a month starting next month, a $900 a month increase. The landlord told them there has been so many people not paying their rent that he has no choice. The rules on eviction has changed due to covid so that it is almost impossible to evict anyone. In spite of the stupidly of this, they are faced with finding a new apartment or paying the rent increase. Since they don't want to ruin their credit by not paying their rent, they will be looking for a new home.

I’ve refused to allow this thing to change my life. About the only thing I’ve done is wear the mask where it was required. We’ve traveled all over the country in our motorhome and I’ve taken several airplane flights, since this thing started.

I have always believe the reason to get people vaccinated is not to save lives but to save our way of life. If we don't get enough people vaccinated, there will be another variant, maybe worst, and the current situation gets worst.

Don't know about all of you but I'm tired of this shit, not being able to find the goods we need, getting kids in school and not distance learning, and most of all the never ending news of more cases, more deaths, and more restrictions.

Vaccines only prolonged this shit. I said from day 1 to not shut down.........Protect the elderly the best we can and let this thing run it's course. Had they done this and used the cheap drugs used in other countries then the deaths wouldn't be happening either. Sending people home with NOTHING but take aspirin and if your oxygen falls go to the hospital is BS. Not allowing the use of off label drugs that worked is BS.

Now for the real deal................STOP DOING GAIN OF FUNCTION TESTING in places like WUHAN and maybe none of this shit would have ever happened.

I suppose you are right wing extremists that will listen to any lie about goverment, media, science, or institutions of higher education that feeds your paranoia.
This ends here, it's getting too far off topic.
It ends when enough people say NO to them and their lies..............Who the fuck gave them permission to do funding in Wuhan.......Did WE THE PEOPLE GIVE THEM THAT PERMISSION............No we didn't ..........and they weren't allowed here so they did it anyway.

Then this lame assed propaganda routine on PANDEMIC OF THE UNVACCINATED.............More BS...........the vaccines were not properly tested...........and didn't stop shit.

I’ve refused to allow this thing to change my life. About the only thing I’ve done is wear the mask where it was required. We’ve traveled all over the country in our motorhome and I’ve taken several airplane flights, since this thing started.
Good for you.
Hope you got vaccinated

Forum List

Back