How Covid Has Changed Our Daily Lives

I do agree that 100% vaccination will not end Covid. I did believe that there was a good chance it would when we were dealing with Alpha. However, we learned that the mutation rate was much higher than we thought which was confirmed with Delta and Omicron variants plus the strong vaccine hesitancy made anything near 100% vaccination impossible.

The first cases of Delta were believed to be in the country in late July or early Aug when death rates were running about 250 a day. By the first of Sept the death rate was running about 1400 a day peaking at 2500 by end of the month. With 90% hospital occupancy in Sept and death rates running at the Feb-March levels, Covid could not be considered endemic.

It's true that the Delta variant was infecting vaccinated as well as the unvaccinated but what you're leaving out is that the unvaccinated were far more likely to end up in hospital. In fact in Sept, the unvaccinated were 20 time more likely to end in the hospital than unvaccinated. Although it is true the vaccinated can be infected the viral load transmitted by the unvaccinated is 5 to 15 times greater than of the vaccinated.

I agree the epidemic will become endemic like the Spanish Influenza, however I do not agree the vaccinations are irrelevant. Epidemics become endemic or die out because the virus can not find unprotected hosts so it can not replicant. That protection can come from natural immunity or vaccines.

The advantage of vaccines is that you get strong protection without the chance of serious infection and death. The disadvantage of vaccines is immunity does not seem to last as long as natural immunity. Although natural immunity seem to give you longer immunity, research show that mild cases of Covid yield only low levels of immunity. In other words to get strong natural immunity you need a strong case of Covid which to me does not seem worth it.

The fact that the virus can jump species and find hosts in animals may or may not be relevant. For viruses to jump species, it requires a lot of evolution and the more complex the organism the more evolution it requires. So far the jumps to household pets has resulted in mild infections.
The first cases of the delta variant appeared in September 2020, not 2021. The chance to contain Covid and end it was pretty well over.

The Spanish Flu did not have a vaccine until the 1938 and was approved by the FDA in 1946. So, the vaccine did not change it from a pandemic to an epidemic. The biggest factor with the Spanish Flu was the mutating virus weakened with each variant.

So, your original contention that the vaccine will stop Covid19 was a false statement. There is no stopping it and the chance to stop it was gone before we could get the vaccine out. Also, your claim that the vaccine will change this to an endemic is also false and we have many examples through history that a vaccine does not end a pandemic, it can lessen the risk to a patient however time, mutating and exposure seem to be strong factors in ending the pandemic. As of now many hundreds of thousands vaccinated are getting the Omicron variant. I had a Covid in November of 2020 and then vaccinated in August, then got it again in October 2021, the length and symptoms were worse the second go round. I am tiring of the vaccine lies that those that politicize the vaccine have been telling. So, getting the vaccine is not the greater good for mankind to end this pandemic, it is a way of protecting yourself from getting it.

The first cases of the delta variant appeared in September 2020, not 2021. The chance to contain Covid and end it was pretty well over.

The Spanish Flu did not have a vaccine until the 1938 and was approved by the FDA in 1946. So, the vaccine did not change it from a pandemic to an epidemic. The biggest factor with the Spanish Flu was the mutating virus weakened with each variant.

So, your original contention that the vaccine will stop Covid19 was a false statement. There is no stopping it and the chance to stop it was gone before we could get the vaccine out. Also, your claim that the vaccine will change this to an endemic is also false and we have many examples through history that a vaccine does not end a pandemic, it can lessen the risk to a patient however time, mutating and exposure seem to be strong factors in ending the pandemic. As of now many hundreds of thousands vaccinated are getting the Omicron variant. I had a Covid in November of 2020 and then vaccinated in August, then got it again in October 2021, the length and symptoms were worse the second go round. I am tiring of the vaccine lies that those that politicize the vaccine have been telling. So, getting the vaccine is not the greater good for mankind to end this pandemic, it is a way of protecting yourself from getting it.
The first cases of Delta was discovered in India in November of 2020. First cases in the US was discovered in August 2021.

I did not claim that a vaccine is necessary for a change from epidemic to endemic. When the virus is unable to find suitable hosts for whatever reason, it starts receding.

I did not claim that the vaccine would stop Covid. My statement was, "I agree the epidemic will become endemic like the Spanish Influenza, however I do not agree the vaccinations are irrelevant. Epidemics become endemic or die out because the virus can not find unprotected hosts so it can not replicant. That protection can come from natural immunity or vaccines." It can also come from other factors. One of the SARS epidemics was stopped by public health measures such as masks and quarantining but that particular virus had a low transmission rate.

It's pointless to reply to a post if you don't read it. If you just want to express your opinion you can do so without replying to a post. I don't like to waste my time repeating what I have already posted.

Last edited:
The first cases of Delta was discovered in India in November of 2020. First cases in the US was discovered in August 2021.

I did not claim that a vaccine is necessary for a change from epidemic to endemic. When the virus is unable to find suitable hosts for whatever reason, it starts receding.

I did not claim that the vaccine would stop Covid. My statement was, "I agree the epidemic will become endemic like the Spanish Influenza, however I do not agree the vaccinations are irrelevant. Epidemics become endemic or die out because the virus can not find unprotected hosts so it can not replicant. That protection can come from natural immunity or vaccines." It can also come from other factors. One of the SARS epidemics was stopped by public health measures such as masks and quarantining but that particular virus had a low transmission rate.

It's pointless to reply to a post if you don't read it. If you just want to express your opinion you can do so without replying to a post. I don't like to waste my time repeating what I have already posted.
Your statement was,
Please get vaccinated and end this thing now.
No need to answer because I am out on this, you are being dishonest. Take care.

There has been so much written about Covid, all the deaths, the battle over vaccines, government subsidies, the politics, the science, etc, etc. But what about the changes in our daily lives. Here are a couple to get us started.

A friend of my wife is married has two kids, lives in an apartment with a rent of $1200 a month. During the epidemic the family has been able to keep their jobs, pay their rent, and other expenses. Last week they got a notice from their landlord that their rent was going up to $2100 a month starting next month, a $900 a month increase. The landlord told them there has been so many people not paying their rent that he has no choice. The rules on eviction has changed due to covid so that it is almost impossible to evict anyone. In spite of the stupidly of this, they are faced with finding a new apartment or paying the rent increase. Since they don't want to ruin their credit by not paying their rent, they will be looking for a new home.

The wife was fixing a big Italian meal for the family so I decided to get a couple of bottles of Chianti. So I went to a large supermarket where there was a large wine selection. Usually they had someone in the department to help customers since they had thousands of bottles of wine. There was nobody so after 15 mins of looking, I went to the service desk and ask for help. I was told they no longer had a wine steward but they had a guy that could help. While I waited she asked what I was looking for and when I told her she ask the cashier if she had ever heard of something called Chianti. He ask what is it? Finally the guy that was to help me arrived and explained that he was new and didn't know where the wine dept. was and had no idea what Chianti was and pointed to a sign.
"We are sorry for the inconvenience but have lost most of our long term employees and we are running on a skeleton staff. Please be kind to them and be thankful they showed up to work."

Later that day, the wife gave me a shopping list for the big dinner. It had 15 items on it. I found no pork chops so I got Chicken, no romaine lettuce so I got a bag of something green, no graded cheese so I got block cheese, no buttermilk, so I found it after going to 3 stores. By the time I was done, I was ready for frozen dinners. This reminds me of what it was like in WWII on the Homefront.
I make a grocery list also, I look in the ads first and see what's on sale. I don't buy anything unless it's on sale. My Family Fare lifetime savings is now over $10,000. And they only started the program a few years ago.

That's a situation outside the experience of most these days. Unfortunately, since this chaos is scripted and intentional, it only gets worse from here, until their goals are met. Whatever those goals turn out to be. I'm just glad we installed a manual well pump a few years back.
I live in the GOAT Florida, the only thing in our lives that changed was all the money we made from all of the lib shit hole state residents flowing to our state

I went out to do my grocery shopping today. I started at Sam's Club, because I get whatever I can in bulk before going and buying odds and ends at the regular store. Also, I like to get something to at at the concession area before shopping. Today I discovered that Sam's Club took all the tables out of their concession area, because "Covid is spiking again". Never mind the fact that we learned a year ago that Covid doesn't live very long on surfaces, and this is not a major vector of transmission. Also, most of the people in the store weren't wearing masks, and clearly aren't concerned.

You know what happened? Everyone buying food from the concession area parked their carts in a big group in the space that used to have tables, and stood next to each other while huddling over their carts to eat. Basically, the store managed to completely inconvenience their customers and make them uncomfortable, and didn't manage to change another damned thing.

Good job, everyone involved.

I went out to do my grocery shopping today. I started at Sam's Club, because I get whatever I can in bulk before going and buying odds and ends at the regular store. Also, I like to get something to at at the concession area before shopping. Today I discovered that Sam's Club took all the tables out of their concession area, because "Covid is spiking again". Never mind the fact that we learned a year ago that Covid doesn't live very long on surfaces, and this is not a major vector of transmission. Also, most of the people in the store weren't wearing masks, and clearly aren't concerned.

You know what happened? Everyone buying food from the concession area parked their carts in a big group in the space that used to have tables, and stood next to each other while huddling over their carts to eat. Basically, the store managed to completely inconvenience their customers and make them uncomfortable, and didn't manage to change another damned thing.

Good job, everyone involved.
We've done our major grocery shopping trips by ordering online from Safeway or Fred Meyer and picking it up at the store. They bring it out to the car and load it. We've been doing this since the Spring of 2020. The good thing about buying groceries online is that it eliminates impulse buying which can also be a bad thing. It is also a lot easier, no asking clerks where the canned pimentos are, no standing in line, and no carting groceries out to the car in the rain or snow. Also most stores don't charge an additional fee unless you have a very small order. The biggest downside is substitutions. Some stores will substitute with the right of refusal but others will just tell you it's out of stock.

I usually do the ordering and that's fine with me but my wife who loves to shop hates it. Online ordering has eliminated about 90% of our grocery shopping in the store but we still have to pop in occasionally for a gallon of milk or a loaf of bread. When the epidemic is over we will probably still order groceries online from to time to time.

I saw sign at a grocery store recently apologizing for reduction in service do to staff shortages. It said to please be patient and thank the workers for showing up to work today.

Last edited:
Covid has stopped us from having people over or us going to visit others. We rarely dine out, don't go to any concerts or plays, no movies. We have our hobbies that don't have us around other people. We shop online and have them bring it to the car or we order online and have it delivered. Seems life is less complicated from that perspective.

We've done our major grocery shopping trips by ordering online from Safeway or Fred Meyer and picking it up at the store. They bring it out to the car and load it. We've been doing this since the Spring of 2020. The good thing about buying groceries online is that it eliminates impulse buying which can also be a bad thing. It is also a lot easier, no asking clerks where the canned pimentos are, no standing in line, and no carting groceries out to the car in the rain or snow. Also most stores don't charge an additional fee unless you have a very small order. The biggest downside is substitutions. Some stores will substitute with the right of refusal but others will just tell you it's out of stock.

I usually do the ordering and that's fine with me but my wife who loves to shop hates it. Online ordering has eliminated about 90% of our grocery shopping in the store but we still have to pop in occasionally for a gallon of milk or a loaf of bread. When the epidemic is over we will probably still order groceries online from to time to time.

I saw sign at a grocery store recently apologizing for reduction in service do to staff shortages. It said to please be patient and thank the workers for showing up to work today.

Doesn't really have much of anything to do with the post you're responding to, but okay.

I don't really thank anyone for doing the baseline minimum that a responsible adult should do, though. The grocery store can thank the few decent employees it has, if it wants. I am, however, patient with the people who do show up, since I realize they're shorthanded and trying to do 2-3 times as much work. It's a sad comment on our society that we think people should be treated as heroes now simply for getting a job and showing up, because so many people feel entitled to produce not a single benefit to the world by their drawing breath.

Covid has stopped us from having people over or us going to visit others. We rarely dine out, don't go to any concerts or plays, no movies. We have our hobbies that don't have us around other people. We shop online and have them bring it to the car or we order online and have it delivered. Seems life is less complicated from that perspective.

I hope you at least tip the poor bastard who still has to go out and brave the "dreaded virus" in your place.

I'm making bank delivering for and catering to all the voluntary shut-ins out there, but DAMN, some of them are entitled, annoying jagoffs.

Another way it has changed my life is that I carry hand sanitizer in my car, in my handbag at home.....wow..... always cleaning my hands LOL

Who would have thought!:rolleyes:

Good point. Life is less complicated with less face to face interactions. Although I do miss many of the interactions particularly with my grandkids and going out to dinner with friends, however doing the things around house which you put off for years, those projects and hobbies, those books and movies you never had time for, and those long hikes all have their own rewards.

Another way it has changed my life is that I carry hand sanitizer in my car, in my handbag at home.....wow..... always cleaning my hands LOL

Who would have thought!:rolleyes:
I carry mine in my pocket and in the car. Whenever we leave a public place or before eating we use the sanitizer. Masks are hung by the door and handwashing when entering the house has become second nature. When in stores we avoid crowded areas. I think a lot of these things we do because of covid will become second nature and be with us long after the epidemic is over, which should make for a healthier country.

I hope you at least tip the poor bastard who still has to go out and brave the "dreaded virus" in your place.

I'm making bank delivering for and catering to all the voluntary shut-ins out there, but DAMN, some of them are entitled, annoying jagoffs.
I tip them because they are doing something I don't want to do and they do it well.

You want to know how this has changed our daily lives? I was thinking about this the other day. We've forgotten how to see other people as being real. We've forgotten how to recognize that other people have a right to expect things of us, that we have obligations to them, that life sometimes involves being inconvenienced by and for other people and that's actually okay.

I'm not saying this wasn't already an endemic problem before Covid; I'm saying MY GOD, it's been accelerated. As someone who has been out and about as much as or more than I was before Covid, I've watched the people around me become more and more isolated and self-absorbed and incapable of tolerating even the slightest hiccup between wanting something and getting it.

I've watched people in stores with empty shelves dump the last ten of an item into their basket with nary a thought that other people might need it, too. I'm talking about things they definitely are not going to need ten of in the next week; they just want to hoard them "in case", and fuck everyone else. I've watched people not just race through parking lots as though they're the only people there - they've always done that, although there are a lot more - but actually become red-faced and scream and cuss because they had to touch the brakes . . . in a parking lot. Again, there have always been assholes like this, but it's become alarmingly common.

I've worked as a delivery driver for extra money for years, and I've watched it change from meeting people at the door to hand them their order to virtually all deliveries being "leave at door", and I've watched the increase of people who don't bother to leave a tip. Why? Because they never have to see the driver at all, and so it's easy to just forget there's a real person working to bring them their stuff.

I tip them because they are doing something I don't want to do and they do it well.

Wish everyone thought like you. And, like wait staff, delivery drivers are doing it for the tips, because the base pay is crap. I work hard to not only get the deliveries there quickly, but to make sure they're hot or cold (I invested in insulated bags) as appropriate, and I double-check the orders as much as possible. I also go to the trouble of calling customers if the restaurant is out of something and arranging a substitution, rather than just canceling the order and making them re-order. The other day, I picked up an order that included mashed potatoes, and the restaurant asked what they should do about gravy, because it wasn't mentioned in the order. I suggested that they send a small container of brown gravy and one of cream gravy, so the customer could decide. I don't have to do any of that, but I do it to make my service stand out. People used to notice; now a lot of them seem to think the food delivery fairy is waving a wand over their doorstep or something.

You want to know how this has changed our daily lives? I was thinking about this the other day. We've forgotten how to see other people as being real. We've forgotten how to recognize that other people have a right to expect things of us, that we have obligations to them, that life sometimes involves being inconvenienced by and for other people and that's actually okay.

I'm not saying this wasn't already an endemic problem before Covid; I'm saying MY GOD, it's been accelerated. As someone who has been out and about as much as or more than I was before Covid, I've watched the people around me become more and more isolated and self-absorbed and incapable of tolerating even the slightest hiccup between wanting something and getting it.

I've watched people in stores with empty shelves dump the last ten of an item into their basket with nary a thought that other people might need it, too. I'm talking about things they definitely are not going to need ten of in the next week; they just want to hoard them "in case", and fuck everyone else. I've watched people not just race through parking lots as though they're the only people there - they've always done that, although there are a lot more - but actually become red-faced and scream and cuss because they had to touch the brakes . . . in a parking lot. Again, there have always been assholes like this, but it's become alarmingly common.

I've worked as a delivery driver for extra money for years, and I've watched it change from meeting people at the door to hand them their order to virtually all deliveries being "leave at door", and I've watched the increase of people who don't bother to leave a tip. Why? Because they never have to see the driver at all, and so it's easy to just forget there's a real person working to bring them their stuff.
When thing get tough, it brings out the best in some people and the worst in others.

It is becoming clear that if America is to continue to exist as a free nation regime change in 2024 will not be soon enough.

There is one (1, liberals) chance - in November.

Failing that.....well France was a good example but then they went and fucked that up. Hey, they're French, doing what they do best.

New Topics

Forum List

Back