What's new
US Message Board 🦅 Political Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How ALL Business Phones SHOULD Be Answered!

007

Charter Member
Joined
May 8, 2004
Messages
47,495
Reaction score
18,840
Points
2,250
Location
Podunk, WI
How ALL business phones SHOULD be answered!

GOOD MORNING,

WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Press "1" for English.

Press "2" to disconnect until you have learned to speak English.
 

nt250

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2006
Messages
1,013
Reaction score
72
Points
48
I was a telephone operator and I can't tell you how many times somebody had to hand the phone to a kid to tell me what they wanted.

That was 25 years ago. I have to wonder, today, how many kids in these homes could do the translating now.
 

MissileMan

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2004
Messages
2,939
Reaction score
223
Points
48
Pale Rider said:
How ALL business phones SHOULD be answered!

GOOD MORNING,

WELCOME TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

Press "1" for English.

Press "2" to disconnect until you have learned to speak English.

I would prefer "Good Morning! How can I help you?"
 

Hobbit

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2004
Messages
5,099
Reaction score
423
Points
48
Location
Near Atlanta, GA
nt250 said:
I was a telephone operator and I can't tell you how many times somebody had to hand the phone to a kid to tell me what they wanted.

That was 25 years ago. I have to wonder, today, how many kids in these homes could do the translating now.

I've had to do that working at a pizza place. Eventually, I just learned how to take orders in Spanish.
 

MissileMan

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2004
Messages
2,939
Reaction score
223
Points
48
MtnBiker said:
I which language or how many?

Just in English, exactly as I wrote it. I already know I'm in the U.S., I don't need to be told I am by a recording. AND, if the only language available is English, then I don't need to choose "1" to get it. Let's skip the whole machine thing and have a real, live, English-speaking person answer the phone.
 

nt250

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2006
Messages
1,013
Reaction score
72
Points
48
MissileMan said:
Just in English, exactly as I wrote it. I already know I'm in the U.S., I don't need to be told I am by a recording. AND, if the only language available is English, then I don't need to choose "1" to get it. Let's skip the whole machine thing and have a real, live, English-speaking person answer the phone.

I actually prefer automated systems now. Especially when I have to call about a credit card. Just give me the facts, don't try to sell me anything.

Although the last time I called to get my balance I had to sit through a 20 second commercial.
 
OP
007

007

Charter Member
Joined
May 8, 2004
Messages
47,495
Reaction score
18,840
Points
2,250
Location
Podunk, WI
MissileMan said:
Just in English, exactly as I wrote it. I already know I'm in the U.S., I don't need to be told I am by a recording. AND, if the only language available is English, then I don't need to choose "1" to get it. Let's skip the whole machine thing and have a real, live, English-speaking person answer the phone.

I can remember when that's what happened. Of course I can remember when you never had to get out of your car to buy gas either. You just told them how much, and while the gas was pumping, they checked your oil and cleaned you windshield. It's called "the personal touch", and I'm afraid it's gone forever.
 

The ClayTaurus

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2005
Messages
7,062
Reaction score
333
Points
48
Pale Rider said:
I can remember when that's what happened. Of course I can remember when you never had to get out of your car to buy gas either. You just told them how much, and while the gas was pumping, they checked your oil and cleaned you windshield. It's called "the personal touch", and I'm afraid it's gone forever.
Everyone started pinching pennies. The joys of capitalism... or something.
 

Mr. P

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
11,329
Reaction score
622
Points
48
Location
South of the Mason Dixon
MissileMan said:
Just in English, exactly as I wrote it. I already know I'm in the U.S., I don't need to be told I am by a recording. AND, if the only language available is English, then I don't need to choose "1" to get it. Let's skip the whole machine thing and have a real, live, English-speaking person answer the phone.
DAMN RIGHT!!!!
 

Mr. P

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
11,329
Reaction score
622
Points
48
Location
South of the Mason Dixon
Pale Rider said:
I can remember when that's what happened. Of course I can remember when you never had to get out of your car to buy gas either. You just told them how much, and while the gas was pumping, they checked your oil and cleaned you windshield. It's called "the personal touch", and I'm afraid it's gone forever.
What planet did you live on?

Just kidding, I remember that too, and 30 cents a gallon for gas.:shocked1:
 

manu1959

Left Coast Isolationist
Joined
Oct 28, 2004
Messages
13,761
Reaction score
1,651
Points
48
Location
california
MissileMan said:
I would prefer "Good Morning! How can I help you?"

I would prefer "Good morning/day/evening this is buffy, how may i help you"

and when you call others you respond "hello this is scooter may i speak to biff"
 

MissileMan

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2004
Messages
2,939
Reaction score
223
Points
48
manu1959 said:
I would prefer "Good morning/day/evening this is buffy, how may i help you"

and when you call others you respond "hello this is scooter may i speak to biff"

Californians!....:laugh:
 

Mr. P

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
11,329
Reaction score
622
Points
48
Location
South of the Mason Dixon

manu1959

Left Coast Isolationist
Joined
Oct 28, 2004
Messages
13,761
Reaction score
1,651
Points
48
Location
california
MissileMan said:
Californians!....:laugh:

so cal dude.....btw can is poor english
 

nt250

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 2, 2006
Messages
1,013
Reaction score
72
Points
48
Mr. P said:
What planet did you live on?

Just kidding, I remember that too, and 30 cents a gallon for gas.:shocked1:


It was 33 cents a gallon when I started driving in 1975.
 

dilloduck

Diamond Member
Joined
May 8, 2004
Messages
53,240
Reaction score
5,795
Points
1,850
Location
Austin, TX
I ain't telling cause Mr P wil lcall me "old" again.:slap:
 

Mr. P

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
11,329
Reaction score
622
Points
48
Location
South of the Mason Dixon
dilloduck said:
I ain't telling cause Mr P wil lcall me "old" again.:slap:
LOL...I wanna know where in the Country we had gas at 33 cents a gallon in 1975.
 

USMB Server Goals

Total amount
$120.00
Goal
$350.00

Most reactions - Past 7 days

Forum List

Top