How About We Elect Our Presidents By Popular Vote?

Grumblenuts

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2017
Not talking about eliminating the Electoral College here necessarily. Just bypassing it for the Presidential races. This is an initiative that's proven popular and non-partisan. Why do we still tolerate them only having to campaign in a few "swing" states?

Listen to a great discussion by clicking the play button at the bottom here:

Not talking about eliminating the Electoral College here necessarily. Just bypassing it for the Presidential races. This is an initiative that's proven popular and non-partisan.

the EC is only used to elect POTUS,,,

bad idea,,,

what do you mean bypassing it for the Presidential race? The only time it's used is the Presidential race.

I am not in favor of amending the Constitution to get rid of it, because then we would have people running, that only campaigns in large populated states, ie Cali, Texas, NY, etc, and not appealing to the rest of the country. The President is the President of the United STATES...he/she most represent every STATE.

Federalism is a tricky, and sometimes hard concept to grasp, but it's a system designed to ensure that one central Govt doesn't become to powerful, it's a check on that.

Not talking about eliminating the Electoral College here necessarily. Just bypassing it for the Presidential races. This is an initiative that's proven popular and non-partisan.

Adios.

Just too dumb to have an adult conversation

Not talking about eliminating the Electoral College here necessarily. Just bypassing it for the Presidential races. This is an initiative that's proven popular and non-partisan. Why do we still tolerate them only having to campaign in a few "swing" states?

No. I'll stick with the founding fathers, the way I always have. I guess it's that conservative resistance to radical change thing again.

Last edited:
No. I'll stick with the founding fathers, the way I always have. I guess it's that conservative resistance to radical change again.
Nope, someone's just been injecting you with irrational fear.

The pressure [to oppose the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact] now comes from people who, somehow, think that the Founding Fathers did not intend that the person who gets the most votes should become president. They somehow think that a couple of states should make the choice. So that’s where the pressure comes from. There’s a certain fear that if the person who got the most votes won, then bad things would happen.​

Without the Electoral College you would only have to campaign in a few states. Not only that but campaign
in a densely populated city. Portland would take Oregon. Seattle would take Wa.
LA and Frisco would take Ca., etc.
The Founding Fathers were a lot smarter than anyone we have around now, they
knew what a pure Democracy would end up doing. Two wolves and sheep voting on what's for dinner.

For those who are not aware of it, this dumb power grab to steal elections idea is already well under way, and it would not require a Constitutional Amendment to implement it.

Dumb idea because it would totally disenfranchise millions of voters. Even if their state voted for a candidate who did not win the popular vote, the state would still award its votes to the candidate who did not win the state.

Plus, there would be not much reason for people in states with a small population to vote.

The Dems are working on implementing it. Each state is allowed to award its Electoral College votes in the manner it chooses.

States with a total of 195 electoral votes have already approved it. Additionally, states with another 68 EVs are working on it (already passed one state house, for example.)

And the Dems claim Republicans are a thread to the Democracy and the Constitution. Hrmmmpf!

1631462745702.png

Last edited:
Without the Electoral College you would only have to campaign in a few states. Not only that but campaign
in a densely populated city. Portland would take Oregon. Seattle would take Wa.
LA and Frisco would take Ca., etc.
The Founding Fathers were a lot smarter than anyone we have around now, they
knew what a pure Democracy would end up doing. Two wolves and sheep voting on what's for dinner.
It would take a Constitutional Amendment to do away with the Electoral College entirely. There's no voting for cities or States here. This initiative is about making everyone's vote count for President. One man, one vote.

Nope, someone's just been injecting you with irrational fear.
Nope, just natural conservative resistance to extreme change. All conservatives used to be that way, too. It was part of their charm, their patriotism and their leveling effect against the extremes of populism and long term vision. Now it's just for moderates and independents, as conservatives are mostly dead or been cancelled by the trumpers and other populists, who don't take the long view on things.

It would take a Constitutional Amendment to do away with the Electoral College entirely. There's no voting for cities or States here. This initiative is about making everyone's vote count for President. One man, one vote.
I stand by my prior post, if you don't understand, then I can't fix that.

If you can't tell where the most populated areas are weighted for one party, then you're in denial.

Last edited:

How about we don't?

Forum List

Back