Houston city councilmember concerned ShotSpotter may disproportionately impact communities of color

Well, she said something dumb but politically desirable atm. Should I be shocked?

The bullshit headline on the article, in line with the fact almost all headlines are bullshit, highlights an irrelevant point whilst ignoring all the relevant ones actually stated in the article:

"Plummer, who represents the entire city as an at-large official, stated various reasons as to why she does not support the purchase of ShotSpotter. She said the technology cannot reliably distinguish between gunshots and other loud noises above 130 decibels, such as fireworks and jackhammers. She cited an Associated Press investigation that found the technology misses live gunfire right under its microphones and can also misclassify the sounds of backfiring cars or fireworks as gunshots.

"I want to, first, acknowledge that crime is an issue in the city of Houston. Clearly, we need to find an opportunity to do better to fight crime. But in my five years of evidence-based research that was done on ShotSpotter, we could not find that it actually limited crime or gun violence in general," she said."

Which is more than enough justification for her vote, the silly comment about who it may or may not 'target' is immaterial.

We've slid so far into the surreal that even fiction-writers couldn't make this stuff up. SMDH...

Well, she said something dumb but politically desirable atm. Should I be shocked?

The bullshit headline on the article, in line with the fact almost all headlines are bullshit, highlights an irrelevant point whilst ignoring all the relevant ones actually stated in the article:

"Plummer, who represents the entire city as an at-large official, stated various reasons as to why she does not support the purchase of ShotSpotter. She said the technology cannot reliably distinguish between gunshots and other loud noises above 130 decibels, such as fireworks and jackhammers. She cited an Associated Press investigation that found the technology misses live gunfire right under its microphones and can also misclassify the sounds of backfiring cars or fireworks as gunshots.

"I want to, first, acknowledge that crime is an issue in the city of Houston. Clearly, we need to find an opportunity to do better to fight crime. But in my five years of evidence-based research that was done on ShotSpotter, we could not find that it actually limited crime or gun violence in general," she said."

Which is more than enough justification for her vote, the silly comment about who it may or may not 'target' is immaterial.
Usually the first thought stated is the "root thought", everything else is just window dressing trying to justify it.

Had she just stuck to the nut and bolts of the issue (and I don't disagree to some of her points) then she could have made a more compelling argument. But no, she just had to toss out the race card. When that happened I figure there was just a roll of eyes and it was approved.

Usually the first thought stated is the "root thought", everything else is just window dressing trying to justify it.
Meh, I generally do not try and read to far into motivations. It is like trying to read minds, you are not necessarily going to be very accurate. It is certainly a possibility though, using the other items as cover for the silly one.

Had she just stuck to the nut and bolts of the issue (and I don't disagree to some of her points) then she could have made a more compelling argument. But no, she just had to toss out the race card. When that happened I figure there was just a roll of eyes and it was approved.
Absolutely.

1srelluc

What about sugar land ??
It's in another county but damn it has blue-burbs written all over it.

Yep, it went to Tater The Putz by 10 points and the whole of the down ticket went dem.

The below is what happens when local gop officials sells a former red county out to the highest bidder.

565bfb228e3b7bfb7cb0fe071b156759.jpg

1srelluc

What about sugar land ??

LOL....Houston has less crime then most big cities.
But it is getting worse as of late. The suburbs is where you want to live in the Houston area. Katy,Sugar land,The Woodlands,Greenwood Forest to name a few.
I'm in Katy which is home to the top rated master planned community in America Cinco Ranch. It was #1 for several years recently I believe it ranks #3 now.
Unless you work downtown there's really no reason to go there.
You have to remember all of the top rated suburbs were cities in their own right to began with. They have malls,restaurants,bars and anything else you may need.
It's also where the wealthy people live.
When I was in Jr. High I lived in Greenwood Forest and Farrah Fawcett lived on the next street over along with many pro athletes like Hakeem Olajuwon.

LOL....Houston has less crime then most big cities.
But it is getting worse as of late. The suburbs is where you want to live in the Houston area. Katy,Sugar land,The Woodlands,Greenwood Forest to name a few.
I'm in Katy which is home to the top rated master planned community in America Cinco Ranch. It was #1 for several years recently I believe it ranks #3 now.
Unless you work downtown there's really no reason to go there.
You have to remember all of the top rated suburbs were cities in their own right to began with. They have malls,restaurants,bars and anything else you may need.
It's also where the wealthy people live.
When I was in Jr. High I lived in Greenwood Forest and Farrah Fawcett lived on the next street over along with many pro athletes like Hakeem Olajuwon.
Enjoy your cookie-cutter blue-burb.....It seems perfect for you.

Enjoy your cookie-cutter blue-burb.....It seems perfect for you.

LOL... I live in a top master planned community in America on the sixth fairway,our home is just shy of 5K square foot was custom built and there's not another one like it.
Hardly cookie cutter.
There's not a home in my neighborhood thats less than 500k and most are pushing 800k to 900k
We are in the market now for a forty to fifty acre plot to retire on which we'll pay cash for.....without selling the house we currently live in.

Yeah.....I'm really hating my life and my "cookie cutter" home.
:laughing0301:

F2115008-22FE-4D1F-BA06-1F6049DA85F5.jpeg

7B4B11B0-1267-4E02-8CBF-4F7D6EB2DE0E.jpeg

Oh by the way...I'm a staunch Conservative living in a major Conservative area in Texas.
You should probably learn who is a Conservative on this board before making retarded statements.

Last edited:
It's in another county but damn it has blue-burbs written all over it.

Yep, it went to Tater The Putz by 10 points and the whole of the down ticket went dem.

The below is what happens when local gop officials sells a former red county out to the highest bidder.

565bfb228e3b7bfb7cb0fe071b156759.jpg

You know absolutely nothing about the suburbs outside of Houston.

LOL... I live in a top master planned community in America on the sixth fairway,our home is just shy of 5K square foot was custom built and there's not another one like it.
Hardly cookie cutter.
There's not a home in my neighborhood thats less than 500k and most are pushing 800k to 900k
We are in the market now for a forty to fifty acre plot to retire on which we'll pay cash for.....without selling the house we currently live in.

Yeah.....I'm really hating my life and my "cookie cutter" home.
:laughing0301:

View attachment 590599

View attachment 590600

Oh by the way...I'm a staunch Conservative living in a major Conservative area in Texas.
You should probably learn who is a Conservative on this board before making retarded statements.
R.208f3cc7ef443996da6196cd9c4c797b

Forum List

Back