House Republicans ‘May Dig Their Own Grave’ With Fringe Political Investigations

The lone break with Republicans came once again from Mitt Romney, who told The Bulwark those types of political investigations, particularly into Hunter Biden, are a poor use of Congress’s already-limited resources.

“I think it’s really hard to know what the politics of a course of action might be in this day and age, to know where our party stands, what our base wants, what independent voters want,” Romney said. “But I think you have to do what you think is right and I think the American people want us to tackle some of the big challenges we have—immigration, inflation, and so forth—and the other things that divert from those priorities I think are a waste of time.”

Will congressional Repubs pay a price with the base over wasting time with fruitless investigations motivated by revenge for Dem's having the audacity to investigate a failed coup? I really don't know. The base seems more interested in being entertained than solving the country's problems.
Congressional Republicans are not going to be able to do anything without the Senate and the White House, so why not have investigations instead?

Let them.

When MAGAts do stupid things, don't stop them.
Nothing would please me more than seeing Repubs sabotage their own electoral chances for 2024. My point is while they are wasting time on their revenge tour problems go unresolved.

Nothing would please me more than seeing Repubs sabotage their own electoral chances for 2024. My point is while they are wasting time on their revenge tour problems go unresolved.
There is little the House can do to fix the problems the demafascist have caused over the past two years...not until 2024 when they get the Oval as well.

But the American people have spoken, and they put the GOP in charge of the House to at least conduct some oversight of this mess.

They weren't..........as you know. If you need clarification on the matter just read the articles of impeachment.
of course they were...they were Shifty's admitted parody. That's why he looked so foolish at the trial and was rejected so openly.

Republican “investigations” will backfire

The Hunter Biden investigation will reveal Hunter is a drug addict with international business dealings no different than other international businessmen and no connection to the President
Who is “the Big Guy?”
The investigation into the withdrawal from Afghanistan will have to elevate the poor deal Trump negotiated with the Taliban
The deal that kept U.S. military people in Afghanistan and alive until Biden got thirteen of them killed in withdrawing?
Their Jan 6 investigation into why didn’t they do a better job at stopping the rioters will ultimately have to focus on……why didn’t you realize Republicans would be so violent?
It should focus on the FBI’s role in the riot, and why they refuse to talk about it.

Didn't Clinton sign NAFTA? So what are you talking about? That was a Republican invention.

Didn't we go along with Bush and take him at his word that Iraq had WMD's?

When Trump ran for POTUS he said at a primary, "there were no WMD's and they knew it. They lied".
Clinton at that time was the end of being a Democrat. And as we know now there has been globalist elites around and we all may have been sold a bill of goods on these trade deals. Clinton was being influenced by Hillary his first two years and it almost derailed him.

Yes I agree....what Shifty said was UNTRUE....the impeachment was UNTRUE. Hence why he should be removed from the Committee...at the very least.
You understand what parody mean. How many Congress critters have used parody or have paraphrase someone during a speech. If never using a parody or paraphrasing someone were a requirement, no one in Congress would be qualified to be on any committee.

The deal that kept U.S. military people in Afghanistan and alive until Biden got thirteen of them killed in withdrawing?

Trump’s “deal” left 2500 troops by the time Biden took over. It also made no accounting for withdrawing military equipment. It did not include the Afghan military in the negotiation

Let Republicans look at the impact of Trump refusing to transition to Biden and involve him in decisions that were being made regarding Afghanistan

Whoever Republicans call to testify will recount what the Trump withdrawal plan involved

The Truce was only one of seven conditions the Taliban agreed to. The other six conditions were mostly ignored while the Trumpyteam continued to ignore the Generals and withdrew thousands of troops more than the Accords called for. One of the condition they let the Taliban get away with was the requirement to crackdown on the terrorist group that attack the airport during the evacuation. That group was active in Kabul in the last 18 months of our occupation.

You understand what parody mean. How many Congress critters have used parody or have paraphrase someone during a speech. If never using a parody or paraphrasing someone were a requirement, no one in Congress would be qualified to be on any committee.
Of course I do...and no impeachment should be based on parody...that's why Shifty should at the very least be removed from the Committee

The Truce was only one of seven conditions the Taliban agreed to. The other six conditions were mostly ignored while the Trumpyteam continued to ignore the Generals and withdrew thousands of troops more than the Accords called for. One of the condition they let the Taliban get away with was the requirement to crackdown on the terrorist group that attack the airport during the evacuation. That group was active in Kabul in the last 18 months of our occupation.
um Trump didn't withdraw from Afghan....he left office with 2500 soldiers, a military base, and our allies there...we didn't withdraw until Xiden took office

Trump’s “deal” left 2500 troops by the time Biden took over. It also made no accounting for withdrawing military equipment. It did not include the Afghan military in the negotiation

Let Republicans look at the impact of Trump refusing to transition to Biden and involve him in decisions that were being made regarding Afghanistan

Whoever Republicans call to testify will recount what the Trump withdrawal plan involved

"At the peak in 2011, we had 97,000 US troops alongside 41,000 NATO troops in Afghanistan. 10 years later when Ambassador Khalilzad signed the Doha agreement with Mullah Baradar on 29, February, 2020, United States at 12,600 US troops with 8,000 NATO and 10,500 contractors. This has been a 10 year multi administration draw down, not a 19 month or 19 day NEO. Under the Doha agreement, the US would begin to withdraw its forces contingent upon Taliban meeting certain conditions, which would lead to a political agreement between the Taliban and the government of Afghanistan. There were seven conditions applicable to the Taliban and eight conditions applicable to the United States. While the Taliban did not attack US forces, which was one of the conditions, it failed to fully honor, any, any other condition under the Doha agreement."

My assessment remained consistent throughout. Based on my advice and the advice of the commanders, then Secretary of Defense, Esper, submitted a memorandum on nine November recommending to maintain US forces at a level between about 2500 and 4500 in Afghanistan until conditions were met for further reduction. Two days later on 11, November, 2020, I received an unclassified signed order directing the United States military to withdraw all forces from Afghanistan no later than 15, January, 2021.

Gen. Milley: (32:48)
After further discussions regarding the risks associated with such a withdrawal, the order was rescinded.

um Trump didn't withdraw from Afghan....he left office with 2500 soldiers, a military base, and our allies there...we didn't withdraw until Xiden took office
With 2500 soldiers left, we had been withdrawing for some time

Of course I do...and no impeachment should be based on parody...that's why Shifty should at the very least be removed from the Committee
Nothing in the Articles of Impeachment were base on the parody.

"At the peak in 2011, we had 97,000 US troops alongside 41,000 NATO troops in Afghanistan. 10 years later when Ambassador Khalilzad signed the Doha agreement with Mullah Baradar on 29, February, 2020, United States at 12,600 US troops with 8,000 NATO and 10,500 contractors. This has been a 10 year multi administration draw down, not a 19 month or 19 day NEO. Under the Doha agreement, the US would begin to withdraw its forces contingent upon Taliban meeting certain conditions, which would lead to a political agreement between the Taliban and the government of Afghanistan. There were seven conditions applicable to the Taliban and eight conditions applicable to the United States. While the Taliban did not attack US forces, which was one of the conditions, it failed to fully honor, any, any other condition under the Doha agreement."

My assessment remained consistent throughout. Based on my advice and the advice of the commanders, then Secretary of Defense, Esper, submitted a memorandum on nine November recommending to maintain US forces at a level between about 2500 and 4500 in Afghanistan until conditions were met for further reduction. Two days later on 11, November, 2020, I received an unclassified signed order directing the United States military to withdraw all forces from Afghanistan no later than 15, January, 2021.

Gen. Milley: (32:48)
After further discussions regarding the risks associated with such a withdrawal, the order was rescinded.

Top generals contradict Biden, say they urged him not to withdraw from Afghanistan​

Gen. Frank McKenzie said that he recommended maintaining a small force of 2,500 troops in Afghanistan earlier this year.

The miltary wanted to maintain what Trump had in place, Xiden ignored them...people died. Xiden lied...people died....he really is the Merchant of Death

If Republicans want to investigate Afghanistan, let them go back and investigate 20 years of failed Afghan policy that left a shell government and inept Afghan Army inspite of trillions of US investment

The lone break with Republicans came once again from Mitt Romney, who told The Bulwark those types of political investigations, particularly into Hunter Biden, are a poor use of Congress’s already-limited resources.

“I think it’s really hard to know what the politics of a course of action might be in this day and age, to know where our party stands, what our base wants, what independent voters want,” Romney said. “But I think you have to do what you think is right and I think the American people want us to tackle some of the big challenges we have—immigration, inflation, and so forth—and the other things that divert from those priorities I think are a waste of time.”

Will congressional Repubs pay a price with the base over wasting time with fruitless investigations motivated by revenge for Dem's having the audacity to investigate a failed coup? I really don't know. The base seems more interested in being entertained than solving the country's problems.
/———/ I’m smelling the stench of fear emanating from your post.
7F7DD016-D371-441D-AE58-A8CFE990C40A.jpeg

Top generals contradict Biden, say they urged him not to withdraw from Afghanistan​

Gen. Frank McKenzie said that he recommended maintaining a small force of 2,500 troops in Afghanistan earlier this year.

The miltary wanted to maintain what Trump had in place, Xiden ignored them...people died. Xiden lied...people died....he really is the Merchant of Death
They had been urging us not to withdraw for 20 years

Forum List

Back