horrible visit to the Dentist. My teeth are bad shape

AS you may know I have been super duper depressed since my crippling injuries

The last several months I have not taken care of myself.
I was eating a lot of candy bars and Jewish Candies ( HALVAH)

now I have several cavaties and F up teeth.

Very sad . I had a dental app on Monday afternoon in Henderson and I was given the bad news
It could be what dentists call "mask mouth". They've been seeing a lot of it. It's happened to a lot of folks who have to wear a mask all day at work.

Since the mask restricts airflow, many people will tend to breathe more through their mouth while wearing a mask to supplement their air supply.

That causes their mouth to become cooler and drier. What little saliva that is left becomes acidic and eats away at tooth enamel.

Masks are horrible for your teeth.

Last edited:
AS you may know I have been super duper depressed since my crippling injuries

The last several months I have not taken care of myself.
I was eating a lot of candy bars and Jewish Candies ( HALVAH)

now I have several cavaties and F up teeth.

Very sad . I had a dental app on Monday afternoon in Henderson and I was given the bad news
That halvah is hard to resist!

Although my favorite is Macedonian honey halvah.

How do you know about Halvah ??
I used to have lunch in a wonderful deli in Seattle -- best corned beef sandwiches, matzoh ball soup, knishes, and then I'd always take home bagels, cream cheese and lox and a half pound of halvah. I learned early that one needn't be Jewish to enjoy great kosher food. I went to work for some Jewish doctors and my job started during Passover, and they were so generous with all the wonderful Passover food.

Diet has a lot to do with dental health actually. The starchier the diet, the worse it is. Flossing is also a big help.
Once you are an adult, and your bones and teeth, and your enamel of fully developed, a good thorough brushing and flossing every morning and night will keep your teeth in good shape against any starch, starch is no match for enamel, it really isn't. It is about cleaning and removing the bacteria that FEED off the environment the starch and sugars make. Remove that environment, and remove that bacteria? You remove the problem.

The only things that are a danger to your enamel, are chewing on hard, inorganic things like rocks, sands, etc. ice, and some hard seeds like popcorn kernels. Other than that, human teeth really are, quite remarkable.

Sugars, starches, etc., folks should not worry about any of that.

If you are partial to sugary sodas, candy and starchy food and have a habit of them, it is a good idea to rinse your mouth with water between brushings. But all this talk and worry about pop and candy , or a starchy diet, is nonsense when it comes to your teeth. Teeth are really, really hard and resilient.

It DOSE have a lot to do with your long term health consequences though.

Once you are an adult, and your bones and teeth, and your enamel of fully developed, a good thorough brushing and flossing every morning and night will keep your teeth in good shape against any starch, starch is no match for enamel, it really isn't. It is about cleaning and removing the bacteria that FEED off the environment the starch and sugars make. Remove that environment, and remove that bacteria? You remover the problem.

The only things that are a danger to your enamel, are chewing on hard, inorganic things like rocks, sands, etc. ice, and some hard seeds like popcorn kernels. Other than that, human teeth really are, quite remarkable.

If you are partial to sugary sodas, candy and starchy food and have a habit of them, it is a good idea to rinse your mouth with water between brushings. But all this talk and worry about pop and candy , or a starchy diet, is nonsense when it comes to your teeth. Teeth are really, really hard and resilient.

It's not just about the enamel, though; the gums matter. If the wear down - sometimes the result of aggressive brushing and flossing - they can develop little pockets, and in those pockets grow anaerobic bacteria, which will begin to gradually cause an inflammatory response. And that inflammatory response can weaken the roots of your teeth. Starches tend to get sticky and can remain in areas that aren't easy to get to.

Check out a Facebook group called "Lyrica Survivors", if it still exists. Hundreds of people who took the drug and had their teeth fall out. How many other drugs can cause this?

It's not just about the enamel, though; the gums matter. If the wear down - sometimes the result of aggressive brushing and flossing - they can develop little pockets, and in those pockets grow anaerobic bacteria, which will begin to gradually cause an inflammatory response. And that inflammatory response can weaken the roots of your teeth. Starches tend to get sticky and can remain in areas that aren't easy to get to.
But see there?

You are now blaming the brushing, and then, by extension, stating, if you have poor brushing habits, and/or a bad tooth brush, and then damage gums, starch might possibly be a problem after that, and allow deposits that bacteria can grow in.

:rolleyes:

I'm not going to sit here and debate with you. You are doing what is called a, "special pleading fallacy." Generally, for most normal folks that have consistent, and correct dental habits, starch is not a problem. If you have impaired dental care habits, and a diet agenda you wish to push, good on you.

But see there?

You are now blaming the brushing, and then, by extension, stating, if you have poor brushing habits, and/or a bad tooth brush, and then damage gums, starch might possibly be a problem after that, and allow deposits that bacteria can grow in.

:rolleyes:

I'm not going to sit here and debate with you. You are doing what is called a, "special pleading fallacy." Generally, for most normal folks that have consistent, and correct dental habits, starch is not a problem. If you have impaired dental care habits, and a diet agenda you wish to push, good on you.

Oh fer fucks sake, there's no fallacy. I pointed out that starchy foods can be more problematic than other types of food - that's not even remotely controversial and is accepted fact within the dentistry community.

Where did I say you can't eat a potato once in a while, or deny that dental hygiene generally protects you over the long term? Never said otherwise.

But it's also fact that even with the best habits, over the long term, the human body degrades, including the teeth and gums.

Oh fer fucks sake, there's no fallacy. I pointed out that starchy foods can be more problematic than other types of food - that's not even remotely controversial and is accepted fact within the dentistry community.

Where did I say you can't eat a potato once in a while, or deny that dental hygiene generally protects you over the long term? Never said otherwise.

But it's also fact that even with the best habits, over the long term, the human body degrades, including the teeth and gums.
6vvimu.jpg

Once you are an adult, and your bones and teeth, and your enamel of fully developed, a good thorough brushing and flossing every morning and night will keep your teeth in good shape against any starch, starch is no match for enamel, it really isn't. It is about cleaning and removing the bacteria that FEED off the environment the starch and sugars make. Remove that environment, and remove that bacteria? You remove the problem.

I did not drink any cola today

Who the hell is to know that large quanities of pepsi and coke is bad..

People need to be educated

Forum List

Back