Homemade fast food...

Last night our fast food was a baked chicken and some potatoes, gravy and zucchini.
It wasn't very fast.
But the gravy was most excellent :D

What do you feed your family when time, or money, or time and money... are scarce?

Much to the disgust of some, I have used Bisquick to make cake and to make pizza dough.
Bisquick coffee cake has it's own thread.

So I'm looking for people to share their go-to, end of the month or limited budget recipes.

My eternal go to is beans and Indian fry bread. I can, and do, make bread. But I was raised on fry bread, and my kids and their friends love it too.

Beans are pretty basic...I do add chili powder, and garlic, and some (not a lot) onion, in addition to salt and pepper. If I have pork I will put in whatever I've got..bacon, sausage, pork roast..I've even put chops in there. But if I don't, it's just the seasonings.

Frybread is just a yeast batter (or sometimes a batter made with baking powder...and sometimes a little of both) that is fried. I poke a hole in the middle to keep them from puffing up and cooking unevenly.

Frybread is served with butter, beans, jam, sugar, powdered sugar, cinnamon, honey...anything, really. Also really good used as a taco base but honestly, if I'm in a hurry or tired, I seldom make tacos.

Money for food has never been an issue for me since leaving grad school. To answer the other part of your question, I throw whatever in a pan or a pot together and call it soup or stew or casserole. It is how I clean out some of the odd impulse buy crap from the cupboards that seem to never get eaten otherwise. Personally if I don't have time or energy, I just won't eat. Sometimes what I throw together I won't eat either because I know all the weird things that went in it, but the others seem nonethewiser.

What do you feed your family when time, or money, or time and money... are scarce?

Much to the disgust of some, I have used Bisquick to make cake and to make pizza dough.

So I'm looking for people to share their go-to, end of the month or limited budget recipes.

My eternal go to is beans and Indian fry bread. I can, and do, make bread. But I was raised on fry bread, and my kids and their friends love it too.

Beans are pretty basic...I do add chili powder, and garlic, and some (not a lot) onion, in addition to salt and pepper. If I have pork I will put in whatever I've got..bacon, sausage, pork roast..I've even put chops in there. But if I don't, it's just the seasonings.

Frybread is just a yeast batter (or sometimes a batter made with baking powder...and sometimes a little of both) that is fried. I poke a hole in the middle to keep them from puffing up and cooking unevenly.

Frybread is served with butter, beans, jam, sugar, powdered sugar, cinnamon, honey...anything, really. Also really good used as a taco base but honestly, if I'm in a hurry or tired, I seldom make tacos.

Money for food has never been an issue for me since leaving grad school. To answer the other part of your question, I throw whatever in a pan or a pot together and call it soup or stew or casserole. It is how I clean out some of the odd impulse buy crap from the cupboards that seem to never get eaten otherwise. Personally if I don't have time or energy, I just won't eat. Sometimes what I throw together I won't eat either because I know all the weird things that went in it, but the others seem nonethewiser.

I have kids. The just not eating is fine for me, but it doesn't work when you have a family of say, 7, in the household...which includes teens, toddlers, and working adults.

That was my household last year.

This year it's just me and one teen..so it's nowhere near as complicated but I'm a good cook and like thinking about these things.

I have kids. The just not eating is fine for me, but it doesn't work when you have a family of say, 7, in the household...which includes teens, toddlers, and working adults.

This year it's just me and one teen..so it's nowhere near as complicated but I'm a good cook and like thinking about these things.

I don't live alone with 1,000 cats LOL. That is your girl chromosome. In Man Land, it is, "There's some bread and potato chips in there. Make yourself a Sour Cream and Onions Pringles sandwich if you get that hungry. I'm going to bed."

I don't live alone with 1,000 cats LOL. That is your girl chromosome. In Man Land, it is, "There's some bread and potato chips in there. Make yourself a Sour Cream and Onions Pringles sandwich if you get that hungry. I'm going to bed."

1,000 cats! LOL is right! I don't think KG has 1,000 cats. I live in Man Land, but don't live on bread and potato chips. You can make some healthy, simple meals, or get as complex as you want. Hey it's Man Land. You can do anything! If you want to hang a dead animal on your wall, you can do it!

I made Chicken Curry last night. Very easy!

Curried Chicken Recipe

I've got the girl thing but I've also got the "logging camp/ranch cook" thing going.

1,000 cats! LOL is right! I don't think KG has 1,000 cats. I live in Man Land, but don't live on bread and potato chips. You can make some healthy, simple meals, or get as complex as you want. Hey it's Man Land. You can do anything! If you want to hang a dead animal on your wall, you can do it!

I made Chicken Curry last night. Very easy!

Curried Chicken Recipe
I personally love curry.

For convenience and quick meals when running out of ideas and stock of food, I experimented recently with those Raman noodles in the styro cups that can be stored in the cabinet for such emergencies.
in the Chicken broth one, They now have tiny bits of chicken bits, but adding broccoli bits or even more chicken makes a quick easy meal to finish off leftover veggies and meats.
My experiments came out better then expected:
one I added broccoli bits and dab of honey mustard (spicey kind not the mayo kind) and dab of barbeque sauce (Baby Rays). I usually dump the chicken broth when done, but this seasoned it so good that I drank it all.

The other idea was instead of boiling water, I used soy milk which thickens when boiling, added 2 cap fulls of cooking Sherry into the Raman and using a dollar imitation crab leg snack pack I cut up a half a strip or a whole strip in 1/4 cuts and season to taste, also thickened the Newburg like sauce with soup flour powder.
It's just something to have around for those quick 5 minute bare cupboard meals.
Of course the flat chow mein noodle ones in the tray with liquid sauces and dry veggie & seasonning work well too with left over cuts of steak or chicken.
And you can season your chicken strips with some of the seasoning pack.

Last edited:
For convenience and quick meals when running out of ideas and stock of food, I experimented recently with those Raman noodles in the styro cups that can be stored in the cabinet for such emergencies.
in the Chicken broth one, They now have tiny bits of chicken bits, but adding broccoli bits or even more chicken makes a quick easy meal to finish off leftover veggies and meats.
one I added broccoli bits and dab of honey mustard (spicey kind not the mayo kind) and dab of barbeque sauce (Baby Rays). I usually dump the chicken broth when done, but this seasoned it so good that I drank it all.

The other idea was instead of boiling water, I used soy milk which thickens when boiling, added 2 cap fulls of cooking Sherry into the Raman and using a dollar imitation crab leg snack pack I cut up a half a strip or a whole strip in 1/4 cuts and season to taste, also thickened the Newburg like sauce with soup flour powder.
It's just something to have around for those quick 5 minute bare cupboard meals.
Of course the flat chow mein noodle ones in the tray with liquid sauces and dry veggie & seasonning work well too with left over cuts of steak or chicken.
I like ramen. I don't like the styrofoam cup ones as much as the regular square ones.

I add scallions (green onion) sliced meat if I have some, and a boiled egg...makes an awesome meal.

Even just with the egg and the onions.

Now that is interesting. I was going to contribute an old time tested recipe, but it's way too pedestrian after a recipe like yours.

Actually a comforting meal using slow cooker/pressure cooker stringed beef is when I make wide yolkless noodles and put some seasoned stringed beef with ketchup and Baby Rays barbeque sauce mixed in and top with colby cheddar blend grated cheese and bake it.
The tang of the sauce and cheese and textures on the noodles just goes so well together.
It also works well over rice that way.
Of course with rice and cheese & stringed beef you are just a tortilla shell and salsa (or taco bell sauce packet) away from a beef burrito or fry it for beef chimichanga with a swipe of refried bean paste in the tortilla.
You can even make a stringed beef with mayo hoagie like you would a philly steak hoagie. You can get a lot of various meals out of a roast or london broil in the slow cooker.

Forgot to say: The Ramen in the tray I sometimes add crunched peanuts like Thai style.

Last edited:

Shit on a shingle is always a good one as well as being a staple food among old school honkys. Mine works like this,

A piece of toast.

Bacon. I will cut some up and toss a hand full in the white gravy, as well as three whole slices on the toast.

Scramble eggs on top of the bacon, then the white gravy over the top of it all.

It will need salt and pepper for sure. This is the instant gravy I use,

FA80F068-BDE3-4F19-B49A-1ECA0D3B29A1.jpeg

Shit on a shingle is always a good one as well as being a staple food among old school honkys. Mine works like this,

A piece of toast.

Bacon. I will cut some up and toss a hand full in the white gravy, as well as three whole slices on the toast.

View attachment 260312
I used to live off of creamed chipped beef during my late night diner runs, but nobody makes good dried beef and even those are hard to find.
The frozen creamed beef in boil bags kind is way to salty, and the dried beef in a jar I think by Hormel is to thin and not the right texture.
Anyone have a recipe or the type of beef and preperation let me know. I'm guessing it's a dried corned beef hash. Never was able to replicate it, nor find it anywhere again.

A piece of toast.

View attachment 260312
I used to live off of creamed chipped beef during my late night diner runs, but nobody makes good dried beef and even those are hard to find.
The frozen creamed beef in boil bags kind is way to salty, and the dried beef in a jar I think by Hormel is to thin and not the right texture.
Anyone have a recipe or the type of beef and preperation let me know. I'm guessing it's a dried corned beef hash. Never was able to replicate it, nor find it anywhere again.

If you can find a good deli you will have what you want. My ma always went to this polish deli in spring branch to get that type of meat. Shaved beef or something. But bacon makes a good sub if you can eat it. But the pioneer white gravy serves as a good base.

A piece of toast.

View attachment 260312

If you can find a good deli you will have what you want. My ma always went to this polish deli in spring branch to get that type of meat. Shaved beef or something. But bacon makes a good sub if you can eat it. But the pioneer white gravy serves as a good base.
Yeah that is a good gravy mix, thanks.
I usually use
soy milk cause it creams well with
flour powder, some move over butter, then add a tiny pinch of powdered thyme and black pepper.

Make a white sauce (Bechamel), nothing more than a roux with milk,
cook a pound of hamburger with onions,
add cooked hamburger onion to white sauce,
serve over toast or biscuits,
My father calls that SOS, shit on a shingle. It is sooo good.

SOS is typically made with chipped beef, quite salty (I don't like it), what I make is officially known as Creamed Beef.

SOS is typically made with chipped beef, quite salty (I don't like it), what I make is officially known as Creamed Beef.

I haven't had SOS in many years. My Mother used to make it once in a while. I like it, but yes it is salty, heavy, and high in fat and calories, However, nothing wrong with it every once in a while, like anything else that isn't necessarily "good for you".

I love homemade pizza. Next to homemade pasta and meatballs, maybe my favorite food.
Does anyone have suggestions on how to incorporate healthy flours in the dough( coconut, quinoa, almond, buckwheat etc )? I've tried a few variations like half and half mixed with regular flour for the elasticity ) ...Some turn out pretty good and others are too bready or cakey. And I've seen a recipe that uses Greek Yogurt instead of yeast and water that looks interesting.

Forum List

Back