Can you make unleavened bread fluffy ?

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
Just curious was having a debate over communion, some baptist was using what appeared to be oyster crackers

I suppose it would depend on exactly how you define “unleavened”.

In most cases, leavening is done with yeasts and/or bacteria. Perhaps “leavening” is defined to mean the use of these microorganisms to raise bread, in which case, you could call a bread that achieves a similar degree of fluffiness without the use of these microorganisms, “unleavened”.

Consider popovers, which are “leavened” by steam, rather than by the use of microorganisms.

Not sure what you mean by 'fluffy'? Since the fluff would be from leavening such as yeast or baking powder or soda. Oyster crackers or saltines have some kind of leavening as well, so...….:dunno:

Just curious was having a debate over communion, some baptist was using what appeared to be oyster crackers

No, yeast or (leaven) is what makes bread fluffy

This girl insisted you could, because I was complaining about it at a babtist church I went to

Ask her for the recipe then.

FCT may have a point of using milk & eggs to fluff it up :dunno:

Though I've never seen fluffy communion bread. It's always been more of some store bought paper thin wafers

You can make it rise a little using eggs.
Not sure what the problem is with oyster crackers.

Not sure what you mean by 'fluffy'? Since the fluff would be from leavening such as yeast or baking powder or soda. Oyster crackers or saltines have some kind of leavening as well, so...….:dunno:

I don't think there is a leavening requirement for Christian communion/Lord's supper bread, becasue the observance isn't of Passover but of Christ's sacrifice.

Doesn't crackers & oyster crackers have baking soda? or powder??? Both are considered leavening
Yes. But Christians aren't using communion to celebrate passover. The focus is on the body of Christ, not the leavening of the bread or even Passover.

I don't think there is a leavening requirement for Christian communion/Lord's supper bread, becasue the observance isn't of Passover but of Christ's sacrifice.

I was just looking it up, I guess the eastern orthodox requirement is to use Leavened bread in communion.. thats werid , learn something new every day.

I just figured it would be the same as passover

Doesn't crackers & oyster crackers have baking soda? or powder??? Both are considered leavening
Yes. But Christians aren't using communion to celebrate passover. The focus is on the body of Christ, not the leavening of the bread or even Passover.

Leavened Bread vs. Unleavened - Questions & Answers

Question

Why does the Orthodox church use leavened bread and most Protestant fellowships use unleavened bread? I am a member of the Church of Christ (Restoration Movement) and we use unleavened bread because we assume that is the type of bread used at the Last Supper. When was unleavened bread brought introduced to the church?

Answer
Actually, leavened bread has always been used in the Eastern Church. In fact, at one point in time, a great controversy raged over the fact that in the Eastern Church leavened bread was used, while in the Christian West unleavened bread was the norm.

In the Christian East there is no concern for using the exact type of bread used at the Last Supper—known in the Orthodox Church as the “Mystical Supper.” Christ “leavens” our lives, so to speak, and the purpose of the Eucharistic celebration is not to “recreate” or “reproduce” a past event but, rather, to participate in an event that is beyond time and space and which, in fact, continues to happen each time the Eucharist is celebrated in fulfillment of Our Lord’s command.

I was just looking it up, I guess the eastern orthodox requirement is to use Leavened bread in communion.. thats werid , learn something new every day.

Nope. Totally different in concept and application.

I guess I could of put this in religion, but I am a guy and not a cook, So I didn't know

Wait a second I forgot about this, Manna bread has yeast in it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

John 6:49
SUM PIC XRF DEV STU
Verse (Click for Chapter)
New International Version
Your ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness, yet they died.

New Living Translation
Your ancestors ate manna in the wilderness, but they all died.

English Standard Version
Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died.

Wait a second I forgot about this, Manna bread has yeast in it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

SUM PIC XRF DEV STU

New Living Translation

English Standard Version
Manna isn't bread. It's an edible fungus or something that springs up on the surface of the earth.

SUM PIC XRF DEV STU

New Living Translation

English Standard Version
Manna isn't bread. It's an edible fungus or something that springs up on the surface of the earth.
Just after the morning dew and allowed them to " speak to God". Damn fine mushroom. I'd buy some :04:

Forum List

Back