Home security

Found what I was looking for

“You don’t have to aim it, just point at the direction of the bad guy then fire! You can’t miss with a shotgun!” This misconception, which is probably being perpetuated by Hollywood, could not be more wrong. Sadly, it may be the primary basis for many novices to select a shotgun to protect the house.

The truth is, a typical 12 gauge 00 buckshot load will likely create no more than a palm sized pattern when fired at a target 7 meters away (typical home engagement distance). That’s 8 or 9 .32 caliber shots in a spread of no more than six inches across. Factor-in low light, rapid movement, hefty recoil as well as adrenaline induced tremors and you will see how it is quite easy to miss!

Read further
The shotgun approach | Home Defense Journal

Instead of 00 Buck, use a scatter-shot

problem solved

That won't kill here's a good set up for a shotgun that I use
First shell is bird shot to make them rethink if that doesnm't change their mind
second shell is 00 buck shot if that doesn't stop them
Third shot slug

“You don’t have to aim it, just point at the direction of the bad guy then fire! You can’t miss with a shotgun!” This misconception, which is probably being perpetuated by Hollywood, could not be more wrong. Sadly, it may be the primary basis for many novices to select a shotgun to protect the house.

The truth is, a typical 12 gauge 00 buckshot load will likely create no more than a palm sized pattern when fired at a target 7 meters away (typical home engagement distance). That’s 8 or 9 .32 caliber shots in a spread of no more than six inches across. Factor-in low light, rapid movement, hefty recoil as well as adrenaline induced tremors and you will see how it is quite easy to miss!

Read further

a palm size target...... is a bigger target then a single bullet.

For someone in this case who is not accustom to guns....... i would think is only going to get off one good shot.

if they are going miss with a shotgun.... they will miss with a hand gun.

Instead of 00 Buck, use a scatter-shot

problem solved

That won't kill here's a good set up for a shotgun that I use
First shell is bird shot to make them rethink if that doesnm't change their mind
second shell is 00 buck shot if that doesn't stop them
Third shot slug

Might not kill...

But imagine a shotgun blast.....you're hit.
Now, whether it's rock salt or buckshot, you're gonna think your dead! lol

I don't see any intruder returning fire in that situation

Read further

a palm size target...... is a bigger target then a single bullet.

For someone in this case who is not accustom to guns....... i would think is only going to get off one good shot.

if they are going miss with a shotgun.... they will miss with a hand gun.

Shotguns have a large recoil/kick because of that it makes it hard to get back on target. I say what works use it, but just pointing out that shooting a shotgun isn't as simple as people think.

One more time what ever works and you feel comfortable and proficient with use it.

Many thanks to everybody. Went to the nearby Sports Academy and bought some weapons before the wife changed her mind. She went in with me and decided she liked the Heritage Rough Rider .22, which shoots both .22LR and .22 Mag, looks like the guns you see in the old westerns. I got a Taurus Model 85 .38 Special. These revolvers don't carry that many bullets like the semis do, but maybe down the road we'll try a couple of those. I'm thinking with both of us shooting, any bad guys are not likely to hang around.

Seriously, we'll both go to some classes since we ain't very familiar with guns, and get to a firing range to see how they work out for us. They won't jam, are easy to clean, and we won't need 'em outside of 20 feet.

good choices, you'll be happy with both of them. revolvers are a lot of fun to shoot, easy to maintain and very east yo get used to.

now determine if you are left or righ eye dominant and leart to shoot with your dominant eye. it will make you a lot more accurate Dominant Eye - Eye Dominance - Determine Your Dominant Eye

We've had 3 burglaries in our neighborhood recently, and the wife wants to get a couple of weapons for protection. We do have security lights on the outside and an alarm system should someone break in, but if worst comes to worst then I'm gonna do what I gotta do.

Neither of us is as strong or as young as we used to be, so I'm thinking a shotgun or a .45 is probably too much kick for me. Likely the noise will scare the crap out of any intruders, but if not I gotta be able to get off multiple rounds with some degree of accuracy in a relatively short amount of time. Likewise thinking against a revolver, what do I do after my 6 shots are gone? Maybe I should mention I got no experience with guns, and neither does the wife. So I need something easy, point and fire.

So, I'm thinking .22LR hollow point for her, something small and lightweight. She's had rheumatoid arthitis for most of her adult life, doubt if she could handle anything much bigger. She's one handed too, had a couple of strokes a few years back and as a consequence her right hand/arm are almost useless. No telling where that 2nd bullet might go if you get my concern.

For me I'm thinking maybe a .380 or a .40 caliber pistol with around a 10 round clip. With an extra clip should I need it. Chances are it'll all be over one way or another without reloading with both me and her blasting away, unless maybe the intruders and doped up to the gills or bat shit crazy.

Questions: Is the kick from a .380 or .40 that much less than a .45? I really think if I have to start shooting then I need to be able to quickly continue firing.

Any consensus about buying a gun at a gun show vs sporting goods store?

How often should a weapon be cleaned?

How often do clips wear out? Does the spring need to be replaced every so often?

Do you have a dog?

Just thought about this Rossi has a lever action 357 mag rifle that holds 12 in the feed tube and 1 in the chamber and their 357 mag. revolvers are very well made. You'll have a rifle and a hand gun that uses the same ammo.

Rossi .357 model 92 Octagonal 24 inch Barrel, Color Casehardened Recei for sale (914704419)

Rossi Double Action Revolver 462 (R46202), 357 Magnum, 2 in, Black Rub for sale (974894175)

That may be coming home with me, when they are back in stock.

My Dad has a Winchester model 1892 that that firearm is based on, but chambered in 32-20, so it is rarely fired as the ammo is scarce and expensive.

I'd pair it with a Ruger Blackhawk .357 mag/9mm NATO convertible.

Just thought about this Rossi has a lever action 357 mag rifle that holds 12 in the feed tube and 1 in the chamber and their 357 mag. revolvers are very well made. You'll have a rifle and a hand gun that uses the same ammo.

Rossi .357 model 92 Octagonal 24 inch Barrel, Color Casehardened Recei for sale (914704419)

Rossi Double Action Revolver 462 (R46202), 357 Magnum, 2 in, Black Rub for sale (974894175)

That may be coming home with me, when they are back in stock.

My Dad has a Winchester model 1892 that that firearm is based on, but chambered in 32-20, so it is rarely fired as the ammo is scarce and expensive.

I'd pair it with a Ruger Blackhawk .357 mag/9mm NATO convertible.

Nice selection

I'd recommend a Great Dane. With the disabilities of both the OP and his wife the odds are a gun can be taken from them and used on them. Get a Great Dane; no one is not intimidated by this gentle giant. Then sign up for first alert, wear the band/alarm at all times. With the intense bark of the GD and the voice of the first alert monitor most intruders will get the hint and take a hike.

I'd recommend a Great Dane. With the disabilities of both the OP and his wife the odds are a gun can be taken from them and used on them. Get a Great Dane; no one is not intimidated by this gentle giant. Then sign up for first alert, wear the band/alarm at all times. With the intense bark of the GD and the voice of the first alert monitor most intruders will get the hint and take a hike.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone

Sure. How many 'intruders' have you shot? I suspect you have an active fantasy life.

remind me to never hire you for any security advice

i have this interesting gun. its called a savage 24. it shoots both a 12 gauge shot shell and a winchester 30 30 round.

A Great Dane is too much dog for an older couple with health issues. There are many medium-size breeds that would work better for such a couple but still provide a very effective deterrent.

Last edited:

Sure. How many 'intruders' have you shot? I suspect you have an active fantasy life.

I have a sign similar to this at my front door

2903.GIF

and I also have one of my used target's right below it so I've never been given the chance.

A Great Dane is too much dog for an older couple with health issues. There are many medium-size breeds that would work better for such a couple but still provide a very effective detterent.

not to mention feeding, walking and all the other care it requires

Forum List

Back