Home security

MHO, getting a dog solely for home protection is analogous to getting married just to get someone to cook, or having a child just to have someone to mow the lawn.

If your not interested in the whole package, the best advice is to steer clear...because chances are it Usn't going to work out well.

MHO, getting a dog solely for home protection is analogous to getting married just to get someone to cook, or having a child just to have someone to mow the lawn.

If your not interested in the whole package, the best advice is to steer clear...because chances are it Usn't going to work out well.

absolutely. you have to be into taking care of the dog. you don't just own a living creature like an inanimate object.

Do you have a mental illness? Why do you have a mental illness?

Unless you live in a neighborhood that is a post nuclear-war wasteland where your neighbors wear bits and pieces of football equipment and ride around your house on home made motocycles screaming and firing shots into the air, you should not need to have a loaded gun at arm's reach at all times. Having a gun for home protection is one thing, but being terrified 24hrs/day is another. You need to move or you need to have someone look into whatever is wrong with your head.

Do you have a mental illness? Why do you have a mental illness?

Unless you live in a neighborhood that is a post nuclear-war wasteland where your neighbors wear bits and pieces of football equipment and ride around your house on home made motocycles screaming and firing shots into the air, you should not need to have a loaded gun at arm's reach at all times. Having a gun for home protection is one thing, but being terrified 24hrs/day is another. You need to move or you need to have someone look into whatever is wrong with your head.

but you are paying for insurance now becasue you think you are going to die tomorrow right? why are you so afraid of dying?

Better yet, get a single stage reloader, and learn to reload yourself.

90% of what I shoot we reload. rather then buy brass, i'll buy factory ammunition and then continue to reload the shells until they are spent

That's the way to go. I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting third party reloads.

yea, i like to know what i'm shooting. besides being a lot more economical, you also get very consistent loads.

Are you guys talking about taking the spent shells and refilling them with gunpowder and a new bullet? That may be cost effective, but I'm thinking I'd rather get a couple boxes of new rounds from the store. LOL, I'd be afraid to pull the trigger on a shell I reloaded.

We've had 3 burglaries in our neighborhood recently, and the wife wants to get a couple of weapons for protection. We do have security lights on the outside and an alarm system should someone break in, but if worst comes to worst then I'm gonna do what I gotta do.

Neither of us is as strong or as young as we used to be, so I'm thinking a shotgun or a .45 is probably too much kick for me. Likely the noise will scare the crap out of any intruders, but if not I gotta be able to get off multiple rounds with some degree of accuracy in a relatively short amount of time. Likewise thinking against a revolver, what do I do after my 6 shots are gone? Maybe I should mention I got no experience with guns, and neither does the wife. So I need something easy, point and fire.

So, I'm thinking .22LR hollow point for her, something small and lightweight. She's had rheumatoid arthitis for most of her adult life, doubt if she could handle anything much bigger. She's one handed too, had a couple of strokes a few years back and as a consequence her right hand/arm are almost useless. No telling where that 2nd bullet might go if you get my concern.

For me I'm thinking maybe a .380 or a .40 caliber pistol with around a 10 round clip. With an extra clip should I need it. Chances are it'll all be over one way or another without reloading with both me and her blasting away, unless maybe the intruders and doped up to the gills or bat shit crazy.

Questions: Is the kick from a .380 or .40 that much less than a .45? I really think if I have to start shooting then I need to be able to quickly continue firing.

Any consensus about buying a gun at a gun show vs sporting goods store?

How often should a weapon be cleaned?

How often do clips wear out? Does the spring need to be replaced every so often?

Just draw a chalk outline of a body outside your front door.....

Forum List

Back