Home security

Wiseacre

Retired USAF Chief
Apr 8, 2011
San Antonio, TX
We've had 3 burglaries in our neighborhood recently, and the wife wants to get a couple of weapons for protection. We do have security lights on the outside and an alarm system should someone break in, but if worst comes to worst then I'm gonna do what I gotta do.

Neither of us is as strong or as young as we used to be, so I'm thinking a shotgun or a .45 is probably too much kick for me. Likely the noise will scare the crap out of any intruders, but if not I gotta be able to get off multiple rounds with some degree of accuracy in a relatively short amount of time. Likewise thinking against a revolver, what do I do after my 6 shots are gone? Maybe I should mention I got no experience with guns, and neither does the wife. So I need something easy, point and fire.

So, I'm thinking .22LR hollow point for her, something small and lightweight. She's had rheumatoid arthitis for most of her adult life, doubt if she could handle anything much bigger. She's one handed too, had a couple of strokes a few years back and as a consequence her right hand/arm are almost useless. No telling where that 2nd bullet might go if you get my concern.

For me I'm thinking maybe a .380 or a .40 caliber pistol with around a 10 round clip. With an extra clip should I need it. Chances are it'll all be over one way or another without reloading with both me and her blasting away, unless maybe the intruders and doped up to the gills or bat shit crazy.

Questions: Is the kick from a .380 or .40 that much less than a .45? I really think if I have to start shooting then I need to be able to quickly continue firing.

Any consensus about buying a gun at a gun show vs sporting goods store?

How often should a weapon be cleaned?

How often do clips wear out? Does the spring need to be replaced every so often?

We've had 3 burglaries in our neighborhood recently, and the wife wants to get a couple of weapons for protection. We do have security lights on the outside and an alarm system should someone break in, but if worst comes to worst then I'm gonna do what I gotta do.

Neither of us is as strong or as young as we used to be, so I'm thinking a shotgun or a .45 is probably too much kick for me. Likely the noise will scare the crap out of any intruders, but if not I gotta be able to get off multiple rounds with some degree of accuracy in a relatively short amount of time. Likewise thinking against a revolver, what do I do after my 6 shots are gone? Maybe I should mention I got no experience with guns, and neither does the wife. So I need something easy, point and fire.

So, I'm thinking .22LR hollow point for her, something small and lightweight. She's had rheumatoid arthitis for most of her adult life, doubt if she could handle anything much bigger. She's one handed too, had a couple of strokes a few years back and as a consequence her right hand/arm are almost useless. No telling where that 2nd bullet might go if you get my concern.

For me I'm thinking maybe a .380 or a .40 caliber pistol with around a 10 round clip. With an extra clip should I need it. Chances are it'll all be over one way or another without reloading with both me and her blasting away, unless maybe the intruders and doped up to the gills or bat shit crazy.

Questions: Is the kick from a .380 or .40 that much less than a .45? I really think if I have to start shooting then I need to be able to quickly continue firing.

How often do clips wear out? Does the spring need to be replaced every so often?

You cant go wrong with the shot gun. .380 is not so bad, and I cant say for the .40 . The shotgun is more handy though and more fun to shoot, and if it comes to shooting bad guys, it will do it better then any practical handgun will. You may also look into an NRA safety coarse to, or something like it. As for cleaning, you just follow the manufacturers instructions.

an AR 15 has virtually no recoil and is very accurate with a lot of knockdown power .it is light and easy to handle .

you can get shotshells with lighter loads. it really reduces the kick. my son was shooting skeet with them when he was 10.

the kick from a .380 is a lot less. a lot. make sure the gun feels good in your hand. also if you have the chance try the gun out before hand. because it really is all about the feel and how it fits in your hand. if the grip is a little funky for you, while the kick might not be bad, you could end up with a wicked buzz in your hand. look at a baretta M9. personally i love the feel and function of that gun. very limited kick as well, 9 mm.

I clean my guns after every use. with a pistol, it's real easy. 5 minutes you are done.

don't worry about wearing out a magazine. i've put tens of thousands of rounds through them. they are stiff to load at first, but leave a magazine loaded and the springs loosen up quickly.

where you buy it all depends where you live and what the laws are like. a gun store is usually a little more helpful. plus you can always go back ot see them if their is an issue. with a show, you have ot be able to find the guy. so for a first time purchaser I'd say the gun shop.

if its for home defense, look for frangible, hollow point or even wadcutters if you gun can shoot a non jacketed bullet. they are less likely to exit who you shoot and travel through a wall and hit who might be in hte next room by accident.

Try a 20 gauge.

The spread is the same as a 12, just less pellets.

Read some Chuck Hawks and Massad Ayoob.

Guns for Home Defense

Personal Defense Solutions - Massad Ayoob

Consider the 20-gauge shotgun by Massad Ayoob

The Self-Defense Pistol

Handguns for Home Defense

Personally, I have a 9mm m1911 clone and three .22lr's, a Ruger Standard, a Taurus model 94 Ultralite 9 and a single action Heritage Rough Rider.

IMHO, a 9mm is the way to go. Cheap ammo means plenty of range time.

I carry the Taurus .22lr, but if I had it to do over again, I'd get the .22 Win Mag. Taurus Model 941 Ultralite 8 with the 4 inch barrel.

Many thanks to everybody. Went to the nearby Sports Academy and bought some weapons before the wife changed her mind. She went in with me and decided she liked the Heritage Rough Rider .22, which shoots both .22LR and .22 Mag, looks like the guns you see in the old westerns. I got a Taurus Model 85 .38 Special. These revolvers don't carry that many bullets like the semis do, but maybe down the road we'll try a couple of those. I'm thinking with both of us shooting, any bad guys are not likely to hang around.

Seriously, we'll both go to some classes since we ain't very familiar with guns, and get to a firing range to see how they work out for us. They won't jam, are easy to clean, and we won't need 'em outside of 20 feet.

Many thanks to everybody. Went to the nearby Sports Academy and bought some weapons before the wife changed her mind. She went in with me and decided she liked the Heritage Rough Rider .22, which shoots both .22LR and .22 Mag, looks like the guns you see in the old westerns. I got a Taurus Model 85 .38 Special. These revolvers don't carry that many bullets like the semis do, but maybe down the road we'll try a couple of those. I'm thinking with both of us shooting, any bad guys are not likely to hang around.

Seriously, we'll both go to some classes since we ain't very familiar with guns, and get to a firing range to see how they work out for us. They won't jam, are easy to clean, and we won't need 'em outside of 20 feet.

Did you look at the Taurus Judge series?
Shoots both a 410 shotshell and a .45 cal. That might be a bit too much for your wife, but I like the idea of the first couple shots being a shotgun shell for giving an intruder a quick blast, then a .45 to completely stop him if he doesn't get the hint.

If you don't have experience with a semi automatic pistol I would suggest a revolver 357 mag would do the task needed too do. You can shoot 357 mag and 38 special with the same gun.

Good choices...I've had my Heritage RR many years and many rounds.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/the-outdoors/68820-my-first-single-action-six-shooter.html

Did you look at the Taurus Judge series?
Shoots both a 410 shotshell and a .45 cal. That might be a bit too much for your wife, but I like the idea of the first couple shots being a shotgun shell for giving an intruder a quick blast, then a .45 to completely stop him if he doesn't get the hint.

Sounds good, I might look into that for the next one. I think I might be getting the bug to buy a few more depending on the budget and how things go. That .410, is it good for snakes? Got a few of 'em here in south Texas.

now you have to promise to get some training and practice time in.

Ever think about a getting big dog?

Just one thing I ask what ever firearm you decide to get take a conceal carry firearms training course, even if you don't want too get a conceal carry permit. The training will help you in the long run for home defense.

now you have to promise to get some training and practice time in.

Ever think about a getting big dog?

I second that.

Taught my wife how to handle my 380. She loved it so much I had to go buy her one like mine. (definitely gets my vote for home defense)
:thup:
She had been left at home with my old 22 Marlin rifle, but that's just too long and cumbersome to use in an emergency.

I like my shotgun too!
You wouldn't even have to shoot it.
The mere sound of pumping a shell into the chamber is enough to make any intruder shit their pants!!

:clap2:

Happy shopping!

Good choices...I've had my Heritage RR many years and many rounds.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/the-outdoors/68820-my-first-single-action-six-shooter.html

You can't go wrong with a revolver

one more thing to think about..... a hand gun you need to aim and hit your target....

a shotgun....its point a shoot.

Forum List

Back