Home schooling is booming!

Or Florida, or any number of places. There's a very real chance the next round of election will be a hard right turn for the US.

If that happens, it will be interesting to see how many liberals magically transform into libertarians and homeschoolers.
Judging by last week the opposite. A whole bunch of school boards went back to normal.

A lot. There’s plenty of parents out there that are not capable of homeschooling their kids and there’s basically zero accountability.
My teacher Mom said that I don't need to learn algebra, because I'll never use it. I know that she doesn't use it, because she doesn't know how.

Don't dodge. Would you consider homeschooling to avoid conservative indoctrination? Or is majority rule the final word?
You're hung up on that, not me. I spoke to what is important to me - the education part.

You're hung up on that, not me. I spoke to what is important to me - the education part.
:rolleyes: All I'm asking you to do is engage in the fundamental practice of morality, to see things from someone else's perspective, to imagine that the schools were teaching your kids a bunch of stuff you didn't want them "learning", and to think about what you would do. Can you do that?

:rolleyes: All I'm asking you to do is engage in the fundamental practice of morality, to see things from someone else's perspective, to imagine that the schools were teaching your kids a bunch of stuff you didn't want them "learning", and to think about what you would do. Can you do that?
I just did. I think you are confusing me with other posters on this thread. If you want to homeschool, homeschool. Many do it for differing reasons. There are significant potential drawbacks that must be addressed if you do that.

I just did. I think you are confusing me with other posters on this thread. If you want to homeschool, homeschool.
You said "vote them out", which is the standard response from libs when people complain about the government. It isn't always, or even usually, possible.

You said "vote the school board out", which isn't always possible.
This is true. Another option is to move to a better school district. But my focus on the school system is how rigorous the academics are. The morality arguments are not interesting to me. If I disagree with them, I can discuss that at home.

In reality schools teach morals much less than Fox News says they do. Much of that is the kids themselves.

You said "vote them out", which is the standard response from libs when people complain about the government. It isn't always, or even usually, possible.
Well thats what you do in a functioning democracy...

Again, we moved to a school district based on the school's academic reputation. Everything you mentioned was not a factor.

What is “their way”?
So, let's say they do that. Let's say conservatives organize and take over the local school board. And then decide that teaching kids that there's more than two genders is "bad science", that kids should know that slavery had it's "up" side, that vaccinations are dumb, and climate change is a hoax - how would you deal with it?

I describe it sufficiently. I'm not going to chase you around the denial bush.
Not to me, but I was able to find it.

Its interesting to me that your “conservative way” intends to miseducate kids on science and history and engender bigotry.

Id probably be looking for a normal school that is driven by knowledge and not politics.

And I guess that's what I'm getting at. Do you think your child's education should be decided by majority rule? Would you accept it in all cases?
??? Will try again. If you want to homeschool, homeschool. We moved to a school district with a good educational program. Others go to private school. What do think we are disagreeing about?

Not to me, but I was able to find it.

Its interesting to me that your “conservative way” intends to miseducate kids on science and history and engender bigotry.
Yes. I'm not a "conservative". But I'm trying to get you to see things from their perspective. If your school was teaching a bunch of crap you disagreed with (and you couldn't afford to move to another school district any time soon) would you have a different view on homeschooling?

??? Will try again. If you want to homeschool, homeschool. We moved to a school district with a good educational program. Others go to private school. What do think we are disagreeing about?
Your proposition that the solution to the problem is "vote them out". Libs always lean on that, and what it really means is - "suck it up, majority rules". If that's not what you mean, then I am misreading you and you have my apologies.

Yes. I'm not a "conservative". But I'm trying to get you to see things from their perspective. If your school was teaching a bunch of crap you disagreed with (and you couldn't afford to move to another school district any time soon) would you have a different view on homeschooling?
It’s a false equivalency. You can’t compare the two sides when one side is opposed to tolerance and science.

Forum List

Back