HOBBY LOBBY: Say Whaa?

Howey

Gold Member
Mar 4, 2013
More hypocrisy from the right.

Hobby Lobby may ban providing contraceptives to their employees due to "religious reasons", but doesn't mind investing in it!

When Obamacare compelled businesses to include emergency contraception in employee health care plans, Hobby Lobby, a national chain of craft stores, fought the law all the way to the Supreme Court. The Affordable Care Act's contraception mandate, the company's owners argued, forced them to violate their religious beliefs. But while it was suing the government, Hobby Lobby spent millions of dollars on an employee retirement plan that invested in the manufacturers of the same contraceptive products the firm's owners cite in their lawsuit.

Documents filed with the Department of Labor and dated December 2012—three months after the company's owners filed their lawsuit—show that the Hobby Lobby 401(k) employee retirement plan held more than $73 million in mutual funds with investments in companies that produce emergency contraceptive pills, intrauterine devices, and drugs commonly used in abortions. Hobby Lobby makes large matching contributions to this company-sponsored 401(k).

Several of the mutual funds in Hobby Lobby's retirement plan have holdings in companies that manufacture the specific drugs and devices that the Green family, which owns Hobby Lobby, is fighting to keep out of Hobby Lobby's health care policies: the emergency contraceptive pills Plan B and Ella, and copper and hormonal intrauterine devices.

I guess this proves what I was saying all along...Hobby Lobby doesn't give a damn about "religious reasons" for this, that, or anything else. They care about being attention whores.

Dear Howie: I'm sure HL would protest if federal govt FORCED them to invest in these companies also!
That is what the complaint is about. It is one thing to make decisions freely as a business owners;
it is another thing to abuse federal govt to dictate or penalize companies for their decisions.

I was going to post this link, but found you and others posted this story already:
Hobby Lobby Update: Investigation Reveals Store's Investments in Abortion Pill Companies : US : Headlines & Global News

I guess they should drop all those also.

They did not know about the drugs included in the mandates
until the Becket Fund contacted and informed them.

Maybe they will do the same here, depending on their advisors how to handle this.

More hypocrisy from the right.

Hobby Lobby may ban providing contraceptives to their employees due to "religious reasons", but doesn't mind investing in it!

When Obamacare compelled businesses to include emergency contraception in employee health care plans, Hobby Lobby, a national chain of craft stores, fought the law all the way to the Supreme Court. The Affordable Care Act's contraception mandate, the company's owners argued, forced them to violate their religious beliefs. But while it was suing the government, Hobby Lobby spent millions of dollars on an employee retirement plan that invested in the manufacturers of the same contraceptive products the firm's owners cite in their lawsuit.

Documents filed with the Department of Labor and dated December 2012—three months after the company's owners filed their lawsuit—show that the Hobby Lobby 401(k) employee retirement plan held more than $73 million in mutual funds with investments in companies that produce emergency contraceptive pills, intrauterine devices, and drugs commonly used in abortions. Hobby Lobby makes large matching contributions to this company-sponsored 401(k).

Several of the mutual funds in Hobby Lobby's retirement plan have holdings in companies that manufacture the specific drugs and devices that the Green family, which owns Hobby Lobby, is fighting to keep out of Hobby Lobby's health care policies: the emergency contraceptive pills Plan B and Ella, and copper and hormonal intrauterine devices.

I guess this proves what I was saying all along...Hobby Lobby doesn't give a damn about "religious reasons" for this, that, or anything else. They care about being attention whores.

P.S. Which is worse? Money going into the contested agenda, or the opposite conflict of interest: where candidates and leaders get "kickbacks" from contracts awarded to companies they have stakes in.

On the right, the complaints are about Gore and Obama profiting from environmental policies, or anti-gun Democrats giving weapons to enemies on the wrong side of the law.

What if we had a system where parties not only researched the "conflicts of interest" but collected back on behalf of taxpayers for abused public funds, and created jobs paid by commission on how much money was refunded in misspent taxes. Why not cash in on all this research the parties do to dig up dirt on candidates, corporations and corruption?

Why not credit us back for these costs at our expense, set up accounts through the federal reserve, and hold the wrongdoers responsible for paying off the charges they ran up?

Why not pay taxpayers back, and fund govt corrections and reforms that way?
If Obama still believes in microlending, why not lend against these debts and make the people responsible for the abuses pay back the costs instead of billing taxpayers for fraud.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back