Ho-Ho-Ho....Now I Have A High-Point

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I was at my LGS the other day and they had a older 1st gen H-P 995 Carbine dressed-up in a ATI Beretta Storm type stock. They offered it up for $150.00 and I took it home.....I already have a couple higher-end 9mm PCCs, but I just wanted it. It had some kind of a no-name reflex sight on it but I replaced it with a SKS scope.

hp 002 (2).JPG

Of course there's a back story.....I had one back when they first came out in the 90s and it was amazing how well it shot, squishy trigger and all and this one shoots just as well.

Sadly my Niece needed a weapon for HD due to a abusive ex-husband so I gave the first one to her to fend him off if need be....It too wore a SKS scope. She still owns/shoots it and never needed to adjust the scope.....Oh, she never had to shoot the ex with it either. ;)

I was at my LGS the other day and they had a older 1st gen H-P 995 Carbine dressed-up in a ATI Beretta Storm type stock. They offered it up for $150.00 and I took it home.....I already have a couple higher-end 9mm PCCs, but I just wanted it. It had some kind of a no-name reflex sight on it but I replaced it with a SKS scope.

View attachment 571273

Of course there's a back story.....I had one back when they first came out in the 90s and it was amazing how well it shot, squishy trigger and all and this one shoots just as well.

Sadly my Niece needed a weapon for HD due to a abusive ex-husband so I gave the first one to her to fend him off if need be....It too wore a SKS scope. She still owns/shoots it and never needed to adjust the scope.....Oh, she never had to shoot the ex with it either. ;)

Anything made for the SKS platform back in the day is usually rock solid. Those things were engineered to take serious abuse and keep ticking. My Yugo SKS, which spent probably decades in cosmoline suspended animation before I bought it, has eaten quite a bit of seriously nasty commie bloc ammo with no complaints and never a problem. I love that gun, even though it's ugly af.

Anything made for the SKS platform back in the day is usually rock solid. Those things were engineered to take serious abuse and keep ticking. My Yugo SKS, which spent probably decades in cosmoline suspended animation before I bought it, has eaten quite a bit of seriously nasty commie bloc ammo with no complaints and never a problem. I love that gun, even though it's ugly af.
Yeah in my experience the little 4X SKS scopes are as tough as nails though it's only got 24mm objective.
I'm not done with it as I have a extended base set of med.-height weaver rings on the way, I had a low set and while it positions the scope better on the receiver it was just too low with the higher comb.

I'll have to re-sight but I was planning on doing a trigger job anyway.....I just get to shoot it some more. ;)

Yeah in my experience the little 4X SKS scopes are as tough as nails though it's only got 24mm objective.
I'm not done with it as I have a extended base set of med.-height weaver rings on the way, I had a low set and while it positions the scope better on the receiver it was just too low with the higher comb.

I'll have to re-sight but I was planning on doing a trigger job anyway.....I just get to shoot it some more. ;)

I've noticed that old commie optics, and old western ones too (like pre-1960), were made with really high quality glass and steel and tight tolerances, even the cheap ones. Not like the Chinese shit they put out today.

I've noticed that old commie optics, and old western ones too (like pre-1960), were made with really high quality glass and steel and tight tolerances, even the cheap ones. Not like the Chinese shit they put out today.
Folks shit on them but the old 60s-70s era Tasco fixed-power scopes were very solid and had pretty good glass.

That said they did run into issues with their early variable power scopes. I have 4X Tasco scopes that are still going strong after 40 years of regular use where other budget-minded scopes from the same era gave-in long ago.

View attachment 571273

Nice. Just my advice: don't go out to the coast to have a few laughs with your ex (girlfriend, wife, whatever). Don't set foot in the Nakatomi Plaza. If you do, buy a better sling before you go climbing around inside ventilation/air ducts/shafts. If you go out there and enter Nakatomi, don't have your limo driver park in the basement garage, not unless you've tipped him really well ahead of time. Also, if you meet people in Nakatomi speaking with German accents, be sure and bum smokes from them to see if they bought their cigarettes at the terrorist's smoker's emporium. Other than that, use ONLY one detonator when you gift the terrorist's explosives back to them. Just saying. Yippee Ki-Yay!

Forum List

Back