Hilary Mantel Has Died

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
Most people have probably never heard of Hilary Mantel, and that's a real shame.

When I picked up Wolf Hall several years ago, my brain was at first knocked numb by the complexity. And then I slowly began to be awed by what an amazing, wonderful writer she was. I am of the opinion she may be the greatest writer since Shakespeare. At least the greatest English writer.

I am saddened to learn Mantel died yesterday of a stroke. She was only 70.

As soon as you get the chance, pick up Wolf Hall and read it. You won't regret it.

Most people have probably never heard of Hilary Mantel, and that's a real shame.

When I picked up Wolf Hall several years ago, my brain was at first knocked numb by the complexity. And then I slowly began to be awed by what an amazing, wonderful writer she was. I am of the opinion she may be the greatest writer since Shakespeare. At least the greatest English writer.

As soon as you get the chance, pick up Wolf Hall and read it. You won't regret it.

Yes, she was a great writer. Loved Wolf Hall. The movie version was also great.

if she was that great she would be better known....

I went to Amazon and read the reviews of people that had purchased the book.
Many said less than flattering things about the book and the author's writing style.
As I said, I was at first numbed by the complexity of her writing. It takes some getting used to, just as Shakespeare's writing does.

But once you make the effort, her writing is simply astounding.

I guess some people are unable to make that adjustment, just as there are those who don't get Shakespeare, the greatest writer who ever lived.

if she was that great she would be better known....
She won the Booker Prize twice.

Her writing is very complex, thus putting her out of reach of most people in the age of Twitter.

Donald Trump had millions of followers, but is a horrible writer.

Forum List

Back