High School play depicts rape, filthy acts, language and public urination

When people abandon God, there are swift and certain consequences, including the scandalization of children. Matthew 18:6.

Play is not abandoning god, it is being realistic of what happens and the struggle of cultures. It is a story of survival.

Our class was taken to see "Equus" performed in the nude. Such a fuss about a play.
I hope they shaved...

High school kids have no business on the "cutting edge of art." Let them do West Side Story or Guys and Dolls. Leave the "cutting edge art" to grownups.

Why the H not? They are about to enter that real world as adults. They should be exposed to art of all types, even cutting edge art. High school kids, those who are 18, are adults or soon to be adults. Time they are treated as adults. This was not an elementary school it was high school.

West Side Story or Guys and Dolls is performed in middle school

Before we leap here to religious prescriptions for "fixing this" -- why don't we acknowledge that the play "Holy Day" is a legitimate theatre production with a powerful message.

Holy Day, Sydney Theatre Company - smh.com.au

That leaves the question of "age appropriateness" and whether attendees should have been warned about content so as not bring younger kids..

I haven't read the script -- but it APPEARS to be available on line (at least in excerpts) so I cannot judge the context of a guy dropping his trousers and folks making comments about his junk.. Do we know what the comments are?

High School kids are beyond PG -- PG13/14 -- and onto R.. They can handle "subtle" adult content. But I imagine there SHOULD have a been a warning about content and parents should have been all signed on to their kid's participation..
I appreciate your thoughtful and reasoned response even though we are not in agreement.

>>Before we leap here to religious prescriptions for "fixing this" -- why don't we acknowledge that the play "Holy Day" is a legitimate theatre production with a powerful message.

There is no need to “leap” to calling it “religious prescriptions.” I think there is a basic morality innate in most of humanity that would object to simulated sex and immoral language and public urination at a high school play. It need not come only from those who go to church. Why must educators think they have to shock or challenge some students' feelings of modesty in order for them to grow? Our nation is suffering because the young are self-absorbed, coddled, already sex crazed by all their electronic gadgets. Why or why must high schools push it further? We need to educate and better prepare our students for the work force than we do in their idea of being good liberal minds accepting of all kinds of perversions. “Art” esteems itself far too highly in thinking “pushing the enevelope” is what makes us better. It often has done the opposite.

>>High School kids are beyond PG -- PG13/14 -- and onto R.. They can handle "subtle" adult content. But I imagine there SHOULD have a been a warning about content and parents should have been all signed on to their kid's participation.

Yes, there should have been a warning so parents would not have brought younger children. But that is not the bigger issue here. Nor would I call it subtle adult content, and apparently neither would you or you would not have put the word in quotations. If it were subtle it would not be a newsmaker. And whether they "can handle it" or not does not in itself deem it proper to be presented in a high school class or setting.

Seriously, the way many or most public schools obsess with sexual matters disgusts me. They are so careful not to allow any mention of God or any Christian theme be hinted at in their curriculums or programs (can no longer do Christmas carols of course) but they think nothing of telling very young children about homosexual parenting, copulation, masturbation, gay is great, choose your gender, et al. To me, they have usurped the duties of parents and are indoctrinating students with the educators' or govt’s own preferred ideas of morality. THAT… to me is immoral. (imo)

Last edited:
You outrage addicts crack me the fuck up, all of you.

None of you have seen the damn play. All of you are just sheep being led along by Todd Starnes, obediently clutching your pearls and fainting on cue as soon as the orders go out.

These high school kids have been invited to perform the play Scotland at the Fringe Festival (one of the biggest theater festivals in the world).

That's something to be immensely proud of - an accomplishment that few high school actors will ever achieve.

But continue your hand wringing and pearl clutching, that's obviously the most important thing. Right?

You outrage addicts crack me the fuck up, all of you.

None of you have seen the damn play. All of you are just sheep being led along by Todd Starnes, obediently clutching your pearls and fainting on cue as soon as the orders go out.

read it

These high school kids have been invited to perform the play Scotland at the Fringe Festival (one of the biggest theater festivals in the world).

That's something to be immensely proud of - an accomplishment that few high school actors will ever achieve.

But continue your hand wringing and pearl clutching, that's obviously the most important thing. Right?

Carnegie Vanguard ranks near the top in many major publications. The student body is known for being uncommonly gifted and talented. It is also a National Blue Ribbon School. None of that matters, though. Starnes told the perpetually outraged to be upset and by golly they'll follow suit.

High School play depicts rape, filthy acts, language and public urination

It's a play about SanFreakShow?

Thanks for your honest opinions. As it is, I find little of what you say to be wise.

I would be curious to know what you think is "the most important thing?"

Thanks for your honest opinions. As it is, I find little of what you say to be wise.

That these kids accomplished something we should all be proud of.

But of course, your insipid moralizing is more important, right?

Am I talking to an atheist? Then you are exonerated, we have no common ground.

"Accomplishing something." Yes, what a specific targeted virtue.

If you don't think art is a "virtue", then you are correct, we have no common ground.

Kids should spend all their time reading the bible, right? Good, wholesome and virtuous reading - no sex, violence or anything like that in there, right?

If you don't think art is a "virtue", then you are correct, we have no common ground.

Kids should spend all their time reading the bible, right? Good, wholesome and virtuous reading - no sex, violence or anything like that in there, right?
You are trying to win an argument with stupidity.

Art is a virtue. Sure. Any sick thing you put on canvas is a virtue.... because it is ART.

When I was 16 the school took us all to see The Tempest which was a set text. The word came back that their was nudity on stage and they had to lay on a second bus for the trip. Unfortunately we didnt get to see much because we were too far back.

Dont think that the experience damaged me over much.

Cant comment on this play as I havent seen it. However looking at some of its critics they arent the sharpest tools in the box.

Art is a virtue. Sure. Any sick thing you put on canvas is a virtue.... because it is ART.

:lol:

You don't know a damn thing about this play other than what's been fed to you by the Todd Starnes outrage machine, and you say that I'm arguing "stupidly"?

Who the fuck are you to judge whether this play is "art", or "virtuous" without seeing it?

You don't know a damn thing about this play other than what's been fed to you by the Todd Starnes outrage machine, and you say that I'm arguing "stupidly"?

Who the fuck are you to judge whether this play is "art", or "virtuous" without seeing it?

Another stupid comment.

Reading is learning. I do not have to go to a strip club to get the gist of what is taking place. If more than a few sources report on it, we understand.

Another stupid comment.

Reading is learning. I do not have to go to a strip club to get the gist of what is taking place. If more than a few sources report on it, we understand.

Of course, why form your own opinions when it's just so much easier to and fulfilling to blindly follow the outrage machine where ever it goes?

Baaaah. Baaaah.

Forum List

Back