Herschel Walker’s Mom Rebuts His Claim His Grandma Was ‘Full-Blood Cherokee

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
Twin Falls Idaho
Dang..this guy shares some qualities with Trump--his mouth opens and lies just fall out!

In January, at a campaign event at the University of Georgia, Republican Senate candidate Herschel Walker boldly announced that he had just found out through his mother that he is “40 percent Native American.”
HuffPost’s Jennifer Bendery reported that Walker said he had just learned his mom is “a big part Native American” at one campaign event in May, described himself as “other” and said he found out “a year and a half ago” at another May event, and at a south Georgia meet-and-greet the same month claimed he is “proud to be Black but... I may not be Black” because he had just learned “my mother is part Native American.” At a June 20 campaign event in College Park, he made similar claims but added that he made the discovery using a 23andMe ancestry test. “I don’t care what color you are,” Walker said after stating he wanted to “acknowledge all of my family.”
His latest, boldest announcement came at a campaign event last month, but this time he claimed his grandmother was “full-blood Cherokee.”

“My mom just told me… so I’m Native American. I was like, ‘Oh, hello,’” he said, describing himself as a “super mutt.” Speaking on stage to his supporters at the Sept. 28 event in Forsyth, he said: “I don’t know what I am, but this was so funny. This was so funny. I said, ‘Mom, why you never said anything to us?’ She said, ‘Back in my days, a lot of the Native Americans were treated worse than Blacks.’”
Walker and his campaign have provided no evidence for his claims, and some digging by Bendery has shown no links to Walker and the Native American community so far.
Cherokee Nation, the largest of three recognized tribes in the U.S., told HuffPost it had no record of Walker in its database. The Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians and the United Keetoowah Band of Cherokee Indians did not respond to HuffPost’s request for comment.
Walker’s mother, Christine, spoke to the site and said “she has no idea if an immediate ancestor was full-blooded Cherokee.
She said she grew up hearing stories about her father’s mother being “kin” to the tribe, clarifying that “her grandmother was believed to be related to Cherokee peoples in some way, but she didn’t know how.” She told HuffPost that “I don’t know how far back” the family’s Cherokee heritage went. “See, my grandmother, she passed when I was quite young. I don’t know too much about how she was connected.”

Walker’s campaign did not respond when contacted with a follow-up request for comment.

Dang..this guy shares some qualities with Trump--his mouth opens and lies just fall out!

In January, at a campaign event at the University of Georgia, Republican Senate candidate Herschel Walker boldly announced that he had just found out through his mother that he is “40 percent Native American.”
HuffPost’s Jennifer Bendery reported that Walker said he had just learned his mom is “a big part Native American” at one campaign event in May, described himself as “other” and said he found out “a year and a half ago” at another May event, and at a south Georgia meet-and-greet the same month claimed he is “proud to be Black but... I may not be Black” because he had just learned “my mother is part Native American.” At a June 20 campaign event in College Park, he made similar claims but added that he made the discovery using a 23andMe ancestry test. “I don’t care what color you are,” Walker said after stating he wanted to “acknowledge all of my family.”
His latest, boldest announcement came at a campaign event last month, but this time he claimed his grandmother was “full-blood Cherokee.”

“My mom just told me… so I’m Native American. I was like, ‘Oh, hello,’” he said, describing himself as a “super mutt.” Speaking on stage to his supporters at the Sept. 28 event in Forsyth, he said: “I don’t know what I am, but this was so funny. This was so funny. I said, ‘Mom, why you never said anything to us?’ She said, ‘Back in my days, a lot of the Native Americans were treated worse than Blacks.’”

Walker and his campaign have provided no evidence for his claims, and some digging by Bendery has shown no links to Walker and the Native American community so far.
Cherokee Nation, the largest of three recognized tribes in the U.S., told HuffPost it had no record of Walker in its database. The Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians and the United Keetoowah Band of Cherokee Indians did not respond to HuffPost’s request for comment.
Walker’s mother, Christine, spoke to the site and said “she has no idea if an immediate ancestor was full-blooded Cherokee.
She said she grew up hearing stories about her father’s mother being “kin” to the tribe, clarifying that “her grandmother was believed to be related to Cherokee peoples in some way, but she didn’t know how.” She told HuffPost that “I don’t know how far back” the family’s Cherokee heritage went. “See, my grandmother, she passed when I was quite young. I don’t know too much about how she was connected.”
Walker’s campaign did not respond when contacted with a follow-up request for comment.
Well, you know it doesn't matter.

Turns out the Fifth Avenue Rule applies to anyone in the GQP.

Hershel going all Warren on us. I'm sure it's all good this time though.
Warren set the precedent. Map any ounce of blood to being Native American based on what your grandma told you and you are in at the Senate.

Warren set the precedent. Map any ounce of blood to being Native American based on what your grandma told you and you are in at the Senate.
Johnny Cash set the precedent.

He had long believed that he had Cherokee Native American roots, but later discovered that he had no documented Native American ancestry.
download.jpg

Children accepting the word of parents and grandparents regarding ancestry without investigating or interrogating them is not unusual. That is how family traditions are perpetuated

She did. Are you saying it's now OK?
I’m observing that it clearly is acceptable….. not that I agree with it. This is also yet another case where Democrats look the other way and/or circle the wagons when it comes to one of their own and it comes to bite them in the ass down the road.

Well we pretty much let people self identify as anything they want now so why not part Cherokee. It’s no more real than Warrens decades long claim of being Native American and the truth about that has not hurt her political fortunes.

Well we pretty much let people self identify as anything they want now so why not part Cherokee. It’s no more real than Warrens decades long claim of being Native American and the truth about that has not hurt her political fortunes.

So it's all OK and acceptable. OK.

It’s no more real than Warrens decades long claim of being Native American and the truth about that has not hurt her political fortunes.
Senator Warren accepting her family tradition had no impact upon her political fortunes, no more than Walker's claiming native american blood impacted his football career. Cash's mistaken belief that he had Cherokee ancestry may have inspired his song-writing, however.

I’m saying it is what it is Warren pushed her Indian lie for decades and suffered no consequences from it Walker probably won’t either. The it’s only wrong when the other sides does it mindset dominates both parties that doesn’t make it acceptable but it’s not going to change as long as this is the mindset of both sides.

I’m saying it is what it is Warren pushed her Indian lie for decades and suffered no consequences from it Walker probably won’t either.

Yes, two sides of the same hypocritical coin.

The it’s only wrong when the other sides does it mindset dominates both parties that doesn’t make it acceptable but it’s not going to change as long as this is the mindset of both sides.

Did I say it was wrong only when the "other side does it"? I didn't argue that. I have argued that both the (D) and (R) have and are failing us miserably.

Yes, two sides of the same hypocritical coin.

Did I say it was wrong only when the "other side does it"? I didn't argue that. I have argued that both the (D) and (R) have and are failing us miserably.
No you didn’t nor did I claim you did I simply pointed out that is the common mindset on both sides. You can have politicians from both parties commit the same act and both sides with few exceptions will attack the one they don’t agree with and find a way to support the one they do.

Lots of families have these stories.. including my own. DNA says no... We're strictly Northern European. Have you ever heard of the Melungeons or Red Bones?

Lots of families have these stories.. including my own. DNA says no... We're strictly Northern European. Have you ever heard of the Melungeons or Red Bones?

Except his mom says he was never told this.

Forum List

Back