Here’s the reason people tell me they want to buy an AR-15. And it’s simply ludicrous

The funny thing, after I sold my AR I bought a Ruger Mini-14. Same caliber. At the local range I had gotten some looks for my AR, but never did for my Ruger. A big part of the AR's issue is pure cosmetics.

The only advantage the A/R has is the plethora of mounting points for scopes,lasers,lights and whatnot.
Of course you can buy after market furniture to fix that problem but at that point you might as well get an A/R.

The shitheads that tried to kill Kyle Rittenhouse sure as hell "dispersed" after he shot three of the sonofabitches with his AR, didn' they?

But one should not being an open weapon to an sort of disturbance.
Too provocative.
Threatening by mere presence.
Shooting 3 people means you are doing something wrong.
A single warning shot would have likely sufficed.
At a foot away, it also is not necessary to kill, when wounding would suffice.

But most people unless they practice under stressful real time events can't do it

True enough.
It's like accuracy,everything changes when the bullets start to fly.
It took me around two weeks of practice to get the motions down,In a real fight I'd take a little slower over faster where you fuck up trying to hard.

Too provocative.

If someone is trying to bash my brains out with a skateboard I'm shooting to kill.
And where are you going to aim that warning round in the city?

Too provocative.
You are confused. Self defense is doing something right.

The funny thing, after I sold my AR I bought a Ruger Mini-14. Same caliber. At the local range I had gotten some looks for my AR, but never did for my Ruger. A big part of the AR's issue is pure cosmetics.

And anti-AR hype.....the anti-gun fanatics are making this a popular rifle with nuts......which is what they want....

Since you state there are other firearms superior to the AR-15 for self defense, what firearms do you recommend?

Let’s set up a scenario.

Four armed intruders are invading your home.

What firearm do you recommend in that situation?

Now admittedly the chances of that happening are slim and that is one of the more extremely circumstances I can imagine. However if the firearm you recommend will handle that situation it should handle lesser problems as well.

Now at this time I don’t own a AR-15 or a similar semi-auto rifle. For home defense I rely on revolvers and a double barreled coach gun. However if I was worried about a home invasion by four armed intruders I would seriously consider buying a semi-auto rifle such as the AR-15 or the Ruger Mini-14.
The right’s fearmongering and lies about ‘bans’ and ‘confiscations’ are even more ridiculous given the fact that there’s no political will in Congress to enact any firearm regulatory measures, and an activist conservative Supreme Court likewise hostile to such laws.

That’s why conservatives should stop with the moronic lies about ‘needing’ an AR 15.

Too provocative.

You never fire warning shots.....where do you think that will go?

The right’s fearmongering and lies about ‘bans’ and ‘confiscations’ are even more ridiculous given the fact that there’s no political will in Congress to enact any firearm regulatory measures, and an activist conservative Supreme Court likewise hostile to such laws.

That’s why conservatives should stop with the moronic lies about ‘needing’ an AR 15.

There is no will to do it right now because we let people know exactly what they want to do if they get power.....

I think an AR would do fine as a defensive firearm. And I support law abiding citizens being able to buy them.

But there are some other guns I think serve that purpose better. The AR, even in a shorter, tactical setup, is a bit awkward in the house.

1) A semi auto handgun would work great. I have a 1911 in my nightstand in a locked vault. It is more maneuverable in tight spaces and plenty accurate for the job.
2) A revolver of a sufficient caliber. They work every time and jams are exceedingly rare. A .357 revolver would be an excellent choice.
3) A pump shotgun. In addition to the fear factor of hearing a pump shotgun action being worked to chamber a round, it is powerful and will not over penetrate walls. The biggest drawback, imho, is the same as the AR. It is too long.
Correct – no ‘need’ for an AR 15; there are other far better weapons for self-defense.

Besides domestic criminals and external invaders, the biggest threat any society always faces if domestic tyranny.
All governments become tyrannical eventually.
Anyone who does not realize that obvious historic fact, and prepare for it, is either ignorant, lazy, or a traitor.

Banning civilian weapons is an obvious increase in tyranny.
Civilians can be trusted with these weapons much more than mercenary police or the military.
It is always the police and military who convert democracies into dictatorships.
Wrong.

No one is advocating ‘banning’ civilian possession of firearms – including AR 15s.

The notion of ‘needing’ an AR 15 to ‘defend against government tyranny’ is ridiculous nonsense because the military will cut down armed civilians remotely with drones.

The government has no fear of civilians with semi-automatic small arms.

A pump shotgun has limited capacity, to much kick for smaller frame people and take experience to reload in a stressful event.
Revolver limited capacity
Semiautomatic pistol depending on the caliber will be too powerful for most women, so if you go down to a 380 you're back to limited capacity.
Women most of them are a better shot with an AR and it doesn't have the kick.
Subjective preferences, wants – not justifying a ‘need.’

Using shotguns and handguns instead of an AR in no manner diminishes or undermines the ability of a private citizen to successfully defend his home or himself from attack.

But the .223/5.56mm has the advantage that the bullet is hauling ass.
This is also a disadvantage for HD – apartment dwellings in particular, where overpenetration is an issue.

A bullet with a MV of over 3100 fps can kill your sleeping child in the next bedroom or your neighbor in the apartment next-door.

Forum List

Back