Her Former Colleagues Called In a “Wellness Check.” Then Police Shot Her to Death.

1598305518750.jpeg

Because of the protests many of these past injustices have been brought back up. Even if she shot first, she had a legal right to. If someone breaks into your home you can shoot them.

It's why the charges against Breonna Taylors boyfriend were dropped.

Wellness checks, are an area that we can indeed question whether a cop should be the ones doing the checking.

On one hand it makes sense to have police involved, since it's possible the reason the person is being checked on could be foul play. In addition, police officers are already out cruising the street night and day, so it makes sense that they would be involved.

I wonder how many times a day a wellness check request comes in in a large city? If it's not too many, maybe a social worker rides with an officer when a request comes in.

In addition, police officers are already out cruising the street night and day

Unlike movies and TV, modern policing involves precious little 'cruising'. Mostly it involves going from one call to another with no time in between for proactive policing.

If it's not too many, maybe a social worker rides with an officer when a request comes in.

Cops don't mind dealing with drug addicts, thieves, rapists, and murderers. But, would you really want to subject police to being in a car with a social worker for hours at a time?

Actually I should have made my suggestion more clear.

I don't mean the social worker should ride along with the cop all during the officers shift.
If a wellness check call comes in, an officer would first pick up a designated social worker, and proceed to the location.

police violence is a pandemic on par with covid!

Sounds kind of odd her former work mates calling on a wellness check. I can understand why her children would be concerned.

Wellness checks, are an area that we can indeed question whether a cop should be the ones doing the checking.

On one hand it makes sense to have police involved, since it's possible the reason the person is being checked on could be foul play. In addition, police officers are already out cruising the street night and day, so it makes sense that they would be involved.

I wonder how many times a day a wellness check request comes in in a large city? If it's not too many, maybe a social worker rides with an officer when a request comes in.

I was wondering the same. There have been several cases where wellness checks leads to death of the person the police are checking on. I also wonder why her work mates if so concerned didn't check on her themselves; and what time of day was it that the police showed up?

If it's not too many, maybe a social worker rides with an officer when a request comes in.

Cops don't mind dealing with drug addicts, thieves, rapists, and murderers. But, would you really want to subject police to being in a car with a social worker for hours at a time?

I don't mean the social worker should ride along with the cop all during the officers shift.
If a wellness check call comes in, an officer would first pick up a designated social worker, and proceed to the location.

So, when they show up to a crazy person with a weapon, they can use the social worker as a human shield?

I could get behind that plan.

The social worker may be standing near giving the cop verbal directions while he is fighting a perp in an incident. What if really nothing can be done to stop what they see as murder as a police officer does have the right to defend himself. A lot of this seems like stupid stuff that happens. The old adage...shit happens. BLM can not burn their own areas and think that will do something. Spreading out brings risks but also brings attention. This has to come to a head at some point.

the system isn't broken. it was BUILT this way

we the people are built different, my friends

So, when they show up to a crazy person with a weapon, they can use the social worker as a human shield?

I could get behind that plan.

Don't forget the lawyers. They should send a couple of those for shields too, seeing as how worthless they are.

Forum List

Back