Help...the dog barks too much!!!

krisy

Mar 30, 2004
Ohio
Our cute little puppy Dodger is the greatest dog,but he barks too much! In the house,out of the house. I am thinking about a correction collar,but I don't want him to be so afraid to bark that if a prowler were around he wouldn't let us know. The collars have different levels of correction and don't hurt the dog,it's just a level of vibration i guess. He is Lab/Australian shepard and I read that Australian Sheps tend to bark a lot to ward off strangers. He will bark at anyone and as soon as there at the door,he is their best friend. He wouldn't hurt a fly. I have worked in the pet business for 10 years now and work around dogs all day at my new job. Still not sure what to do though....any advice?

No suggestions specifically, but how do they train police dogs? They are usually shephards and they are like mice when they need to be but bark (pretty effectively!) when they need to.

Can you see if there's a training facility in your area, perhaps they have some suggestions.

krisy said:
Our cute little puppy Dodger is the greatest dog,but he barks too much! In the house,out of the house. I am thinking about a correction collar,but I don't want him to be so afraid to bark that if a prowler were around he wouldn't let us know. The collars have different levels of correction and don't hurt the dog,it's just a level of vibration i guess. He is Lab/Australian shepard and I read that Australian Sheps tend to bark a lot to ward off strangers. He will bark at anyone and as soon as there at the door,he is their best friend. He wouldn't hurt a fly. I have worked in the pet business for 10 years now and work around dogs all day at my new job. Still not sure what to do though....any advice?

Duct tape works well!!!! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Most dogs bark to warn their owners that something is out of sorts or they want attention. Depending on the age of your pup and how long he's been with you, he may just need to get used to the activity around your home and yard so that he gets accustomed to the idea of there being people around. Most times after the dog gets familiar with what his territory is, i.e. the backyard, inside and around the home, and front yard?, he'll see how you react to the closeness of people and pick up your idea of how close is close enough.

Be patient, firm 'NO's when he's barking at the person 30 yards away(or however close you want them to be), and it will come together in time.

DKSuddeth said:
Most dogs bark to warn their owners that something is out of sorts or they want attention. Depending on the age of your pup and how long he's been with you, he may just need to get used to the activity around your home and yard so that he gets accustomed to the idea of there being people around. Most times after the dog gets familiar with what his territory is, i.e. the backyard, inside and around the home, and front yard?, he'll see how you react to the closeness of people and pick up your idea of how close is close enough.

Be patient, firm 'NO's when he's barking at the person 30 yards away(or however close you want them to be), and it will come together in time.

thank you much,DK! we have had him for about 3 months. he was 5 months when we got him. i know it's neuteing time a well. i'm hoping that will help. the fact that 4 rotts live next door isn't helping things. not to mention,just about every house on the street has a dog,so of coure when they bark......i think your right though,i need to be firmer when i tell him no,reinforcement!!! what do you think of the collar idea?

I had a dog with the same problem a LONG time ago.

We took the dog to training classes, and the instructor had us tell him NO whenever the barking wasn't connected to anything. But he always told us, if he barks when somebody comes to the door, don't tell him NO until you let him see that the person is welcomed. After a while, the dog will learn who is "welcome" and who is not. If it is a delivery person or somebody that comes regular but that you "don't know" let him continue to bark for a while so that he never really gets the idea the person is "welcomed". After a while, the dog will naturally learn whom you trust and who is just "visiting".

I know that isn't the GREATEST advice, but it might help. But you do have to teach him to NOT BARK whenever there isn't anything going on, otherwise, when/if and intruder does come, you might just ignore the barks thinking, "there goes Dodger again, that damn noisy dog"!

Go to cabelas.com. Buy a bark collar. There are all sorts of training videos and other dog training aids availiable from Cabela's. You can pussy-foot around or you can do what the pro's and people who rely on thier dogs do. One thing I can't stand is a poorly-trained dog. It's isn't fair for them, either. They crave discipline. Training is also a good way to bond.

Good luck!

Thank for all the advice guys!

free and fun-dK suggested the "no" thing a well so i am going to try to be conistent with it,as will my husband.Thanks for the advice. dodge barks at something-unfortunately,it' everything. my mom has one of those dogs that just barks at air. hopefully he will learn to calm down at leat when it is someone he knows......i really hope!! he is a wonderful of in all other respects ,i love him to pieces!!!

Johnney and fuman-i am going to look into the collars in case the "no" consistently doesn't work. i am glad to hear they work. boy,they ain't cheap though from what i looked at so far,but if they work-it's worth it.

Hey, I was once told when a dog that barked too much, the greatest thing was a can filled with beans. Just take a can, fill with anykind of beans, when the dog barks, no, don't throw it at him, but throw it near him. I found it strange, but a friend of mine did it and it worked.

Krisy don't be afraid to use the collar, I've used two types with my Lab Jedi. A barking collar and a remote training collar. The remote worked wonders in many areas of disipline. I only occationally use either of them now for a refresher.

Also I read some where to train you dog to actually bark on comand (something Moi eluded to), this can help to train him not to bark.

janeeng said:
Hey, I was once told when a dog that barked too much, the greatest thing was a can filled with beans. Just take a can, fill with anykind of beans, when the dog barks, no, don't throw it at him, but throw it near him. I found it strange, but a friend of mine did it and it worked.

A can with pennies in it. Just shake when the dog does anything wrong.

Wow!! Thanks for all the options!!1 I have heard of the shaking the can with pennies in it as well.I used to do it when my cats did something wrong.Biker,I'm glad to know that the collar does work-you are the second or third person to say so.

Mr. P- I checked out that link,and I think my brother may have that video from when his dog was a pup so I am going to check it out. I think it would be a good thing to have because he sometimes chews a little too much (on the wrong things) as well.

I am calling Monday to mkae an appointment to get him fixed as well. He is showing signs that he is ready for the big op!!!! I think this will calm him down too.

Johnney said:
poor bastard! :eek2: :boohoo:
ill send him a ice pack and a case

Heehee-All the guys feel so sorry for him!!!

If it calms him down though,bring on the nut job!!!!!!!!!!

:dance:

they have book on how to stop barking , and on the animal planet channel on you tv , they have a show called good dog you , on every weekend around 8:00 to 9:00 on sat and sun . it is well worth watching , it will help you with all kind of problems, that deal with dogs , good luck let me know ,

angelblue said:
they have book on how to stop barking , and on the animal planet channel on you tv , they have a show called good dog you , on every weekend around 8:00 to 9:00 on sat and sun . it is well worth watching , it will help you with all kind of problems, that deal with dogs , good luck let me know ,

I'll watch this weekend and see id I can fins any help!!!! Let ya know!

Johnney said:
here check this out for barking dogs

link

That is pretty interesting. Sounds like clasical music has the same effect on dogs that it does on people. Maybe I will turn some on for him when we aren't home,and maybe when are home,it will calm the kiddies down!

Forum List

Back