Help...the dog barks too much!!!

Our cute little puppy Dodger is the greatest dog,but he barks too much! In the house,out of the house. I am thinking about a correction collar,but I don't want him to be so afraid to bark that if a prowler were around he wouldn't let us know. The collars have different levels of correction and don't hurt the dog,it's just a level of vibration i guess. He is Lab/Australian shepard and I read that Australian Sheps tend to bark a lot to ward off strangers. He will bark at anyone and as soon as there at the door,he is their best friend. He wouldn't hurt a fly. I have worked in the pet business for 10 years now and work around dogs all day at my new job. Still not sure what to do though....any advice?
This may sound strange, but it works for me and family when there is something the dog is doing wrong...In a firm voice, say "ACK!". That seems to make them stop and listen to what you are saying. And then just tell them another command, such as "Come!"

This was told to me by a trainer. It jerks their mind to you. See if it works. And, it is a cheap remedy!

ahh hubby's dog is aussie....he will bark like yours till the person gets in the door....dogs love to bark it does seem....work with the dog one on one and if that doesnt work get a collar...they have one that spray them with some type of harmless spray...and when they can hear another dog barking ....they join right in...good luck

Dogs usually bark when they are bored....or sick....

may be hungry....or something bothers him/her

Take him/her for a walk....a long walk...

A dog needs attention...animals are not toys.

:dunno:

Our cute little puppy Dodger is the greatest dog,but he barks too much! In the house,out of the house. I am thinking about a correction collar,but I don't want him to be so afraid to bark that if a prowler were around he wouldn't let us know. The collars have different levels of correction and don't hurt the dog,it's just a level of vibration i guess. He is Lab/Australian shepard and I read that Australian Sheps tend to bark a lot to ward off strangers. He will bark at anyone and as soon as there at the door,he is their best friend. He wouldn't hurt a fly. I have worked in the pet business for 10 years now and work around dogs all day at my new job. Still not sure what to do though....any advice?
This may sound strange, but it works for me and family when there is something the dog is doing wrong...In a firm voice, say "ACK!". That seems to make them stop and listen to what you are saying. And then just tell them another command, such as "Come!"

This was told to me by a trainer. It jerks their mind to you. See if it works. And, it is a cheap remedy!

There is more though.

You can do that, but it has to be a structured reaction and you have to focus when you're doing it. Just to react *ack* every time they bark may end up actually contributing to, instead of stopping, the behavior if the timing is off.

Come to a consensus in the household about how you will respond to the barking. and then everybody does the same thing when it happens.

It could be a matter of making the dog lie in one spot while you do whatever you're doing, and when they bark, you reprimand. When they don't bark, you reward.

It could be a matter of putting leash on the pup so that you can just keep him by you as you're moving around, so you can catch the response (barking) and stop it.

Consistency and actually engage. Really think about what you're doing so you don't actually make things worse, instead of fixing it. Because that can happen too.

I hope she solved her problem in 13 years. Probably buried the poor thing by now.

Exercise.

There are many ideas to stop the dog barking, but it seems as you have to apply a correction of some sort at the time of the act.
Exercise is good for getting a relief from too much pent up energy, but will it correct a behavior when the dog is acting out? Don't think so.

Lots of exercise, lots of interaction, lots of structured engagement.

I have found putting a leash on a dog when I'm training them and just taking them with me everywhere I go, and make them do everything I do, is actually a really good way to work through problem issues. Like..take the dog to the bathroom with you when you shower, have him sit on the mat right beside the tub. That way if he starts barking, you're right there..you don't have to come screaming out of the bathroom like 5 minutes later all wet and pissed.

They really thrive over that sort of engagement. And the more time you can spend doing that, the better they will act when you AREN'T actually holding the leash or in the immediate vicinity.

There are many ideas to stop the dog barking, but it seems as you have to apply a correction of some sort at the time of the act.
Exercise is good for getting a relief from too much pent up energy, but will it correct a behavior when the dog is acting out? Don't think so.

When they are exercising,walking they don't have the time or desire to misbehave.

Dogs LOVE going for walks., trust me LOL ;):D

When they are exercising,walking they don't have the time or desire to misbehave.

Yeah but don't get crazy...they definitely can misbehave.

Mine's favorite thing was "fetch the slimy tennis ball"

never had a problem with a "talkative" dog

I think sometimes people get overwhelmed (I know I have) by the idea that you have to walk a certain DISTANCE, or do particular specifica THINGS when interacting with dogs...

If you have a dog who is in training, and say they are terrible about barking, or pulling on the leash...

Instead of *walking* like 15 miles with a dog straining and barking and at the end of it you're both drained and miserable...

Spend the same amount of time just working on the issues out in your front yard or wherever you're comfortable and h ave control. Yeah dogs love exercise and running.

But they need to interact with you. And they really aren't going to care where that takes place..the thing is that it's safe, and you both enjoy it.

So maybe you just walk out in your yard for 20 minutes and practice walking a few steps at a time, then stopping, and sitting, and not barking.

And when you get that down, you start to venture further out and add more challenges.

But don't be afraid to start little.

Sometimes it's about de-sensitizing them to the barking. So maybe go over to the fence where the barking dogs are (make sure it's a good fence, maybe talk to the owners) and hang out for a while, exerting discipline when your dog acts inappropriately, until everybody stops barking.

what the heck.....let them misbehave a little.....

sweet thangs :D our babies......:p

what the heck.....let them misbehave a little.....

sweet thangs :D our babies......:p
You're talking to someone who had a pit, saint and psychotic parson Russell all at the same time...

When they misbehaved the city blew the tsunami sirens and called out the national guardsmen.

Forum List

Back