Heat [1995 - Michael Mann]

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
Michael Mann was 'carefully' developing his American cime-folktale opus on the perfect cop chasing the perfect thief, and he'd tried various 'forms' of the formulaic story in other previous projects before culminating the 'dream' in his 1995 epic-thread Heat, featuring a really unusually stellar cast (Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Val Kilmer, Jon Voight, Ashley Judd, Diane Venora). This movie as Janet Maslin (film-critic) stated, "has got it all" and it leaves no room for anyone seeking either slick crime-cop storytelling of longwinded unwound relaxing/comforting human emotion-vignettes. Even if it is a tad too long in length (approx. 3hrs!), it's a nice view of why Americans appreciate crime-stories. Personally, I have to say, it's one of the best Blu-ray format (HD) movies out there for consumers today.

h6.jpg

====

The film opens with a daring and thrilling armored-car robbery performed by De Niro's team of wily robbers, wearing hockey-masks and conducting a mid-day heist with perfect and eerie precision.

h3.jpg

The film then introduces the cop who's going to chase De Niro's character, the leader/captain of the thief-crew, who's portrayed ambitiously and diligently if a little oddly by the great Al Pacino. The film proceeds to explore the human experience of the cop and the thief, and their complicated girlfriends/wives 'caught up' in the 'heat' of their dramatic lives in Los Angeles.

h2.jpg

Towards the latter part of this very long Mann movie, Pacino's character confronts De Niro's character in the open road and courts him to a coffee-meeting at an LA diner during which these two legendary American film-stars reveal why their characters are so 'absorbed' as a cop/thief. This is a nice touch, and it serves as a premonition for the upcoming climactic and very epic bank robbery scene.

h4.jpeg

The robbery goes really well until it sees trouble because of a devastating inside-man/crew betrayal, forcing De Niro's character (Neil) and his crew (Chris, Michael, etc.) to simply survive the street-shootout with Al Pacino's character (Vincent) and his team of ambitious armed detective-cops.

h1.jpg

Will Pacino's Vincent 'catch' De Niro's Neil in the end? That's really the gear that drives the energy of this ambitious/epic crime-film, and it invites American audiences to ponder the face of crime-cinema and why it captures a certain American aesthetic regarding controlled sanity...and robbery/crime.

h5.jpg

If Pacino was not satisfied with Dog Day Afternoon, he can certainly take delight in the knowledge that this epic Michael Mann presentation will remind everyone why/how he's become a mainstay in sociocultural d. If it wasn't so long, I'd give it a solid 4/5 stars, since it's basically low-brow emotional entertainment, and it's not a 'literature' classic like, say, Gangs of New York, so I'll give it a 'cheerful' 3/5 stars, and I'd argue it's as 'good' as, say, Roger Avary's Killing Zoe.

====

"Money is everything" (Ecclesiastes)

Michael Mann was 'carefully' developing his American cime-folktale opus on the perfect cop chasing the perfect thief, and he'd tried various 'forms' of the formulaic story in other previous projects before culminating the 'dream' in his 1995 epic-thread Heat, featuring a really unusually stellar cast (Al Pacino, Robert De Niro, Val Kilmer, Jon Voight, Ashley Judd, Diane Venora). This movie as Janet Maslin (film-critic) stated, "has got it all" and it leaves no room for anyone seeking either slick crime-cop storytelling of longwinded unwound relaxing/comforting human emotion-vignettes. Even if it is a tad too long in length (approx. 3hrs!), it's a nice view of why Americans appreciate crime-stories. Personally, I have to say, it's one of the best Blu-ray format (HD) movies out there for consumers today.

View attachment 580654

====

The film opens with a daring and thrilling armored-car robbery performed by De Niro's team of wily robbers, wearing hockey-masks and conducting a mid-day heist with perfect and eerie precision.

View attachment 580651

The film then introduces the cop who's going to chase De Niro's character, the leader/captain of the thief-crew, who's portrayed ambitiously and diligently if a little oddly by the great Al Pacino. The film proceeds to explore the human experience of the cop and the thief, and their complicated girlfriends/wives 'caught up' in the 'heat' of their dramatic lives in Los Angeles.

View attachment 580650

Towards the latter part of this very long Mann movie, Pacino's character confronts De Niro's character in the open road and courts him to a coffee-meeting at an LA diner during which these two legendary American film-stars reveal why their characters are so 'absorbed' as a cop/thief. This is a nice touch, and it serves as a premonition for the upcoming climactic and very epic bank robbery scene.

View attachment 580652

The robbery goes really well until it sees trouble because of a devastating inside-man/crew betrayal, forcing De Niro's character (Neil) and his crew (Chris, Michael, etc.) to simply survive the street-shootout with Al Pacino's character (Vincent) and his team of ambitious armed detective-cops.

View attachment 580649

Will Pacino's Vincent 'catch' De Niro's Neil in the end? That's really the gear that drives the energy of this ambitious/epic crime-film, and it invites American audiences to ponder the face of crime-cinema and why it captures a certain American aesthetic regarding controlled sanity...and robbery/crime.

View attachment 580653

If Pacino was not satisfied with Dog Day Afternoon, he can certainly take delight in the knowledge that this epic Michael Mann presentation will remind everyone why/how he's become a mainstay in sociocultural d. If it wasn't so long, I'd give it a solid 4/5 stars, since it's basically low-brow emotional entertainment, and it's not a 'literature' classic like, say, Gangs of New York, so I'll give it a 'cheerful' 3/5 stars, and I'd argue it's as 'good' as, say, Roger Avary's Killing Zoe.

====

"Very epic"?

Five out of five stars for me. Quite nearly the perfect cops and robbers movie with a style all it's own--very few sound stages used in the movie. My lone complaint was that there was one glaring outtake that should have been left in. Other than that...one of the best crime movies I've seen.

Impressive post. The Cops and Robbers genre won over the gun violence market as Cowboys and Indians had grown stale to downright distasteful. Guns still attract people (mostly boys and men) from all walks of life. Lefty liberal New Yorkers even masturbate over The Godfather. All fun and games until the actors began Terminating their crews..

Heat is a great movie. I've watched it three times, and bought the DVD, and I almost never watch a movie more than once.

That bank robbery shootout is one of the best shoot em ups ever filmed.

It has been used by both the military and law enforcement as training for combat engagements.

That bank robbery shootout is one of the best shoot em ups ever filmed.

It has been used by both the military and law enforcement as training for combat engagements.
It could have also inspired that bank shootout in California years ago....the one where the guys were wearing body armor and just unloading on everyone.

View attachment 580654

====

View attachment 580651

View attachment 580650

View attachment 580652

View attachment 580649

View attachment 580653

====

I watched this for the first time about a month ago. Overall, a decent movie experience. Didnt really buy the relationship that DeNiro had in the film....it was mainly an unneeded distraction. But overall yeah it's a movie I'd watch again.

I probably like "Thief" more and definitely like "Last of the Mohicans" more, two of his other films I've watched.

I wouldnt mind if he'd do another movie in this genre though......isnt there a sequel to "Heat" in the works?

Heat is a great movie. I have seen it at least 3 times.
Only thing that always bothered me a little is Al Pacino's portrayal of his character... a little overacting. DeNiro played his character 10 times better than Pacino. Kilmer also was great in it... in fact I liked everyone it it.

Forum List

Back