Have you sucessfully extracted a broken bolt?

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
I dont think I have. I did break an extractor off today. After that there was no way I was going to try to drill though it.

The rest I just drilled out. They'd been in there holes for 26 years...steel self tapping screws in aluminum crossmembers...so I expected sheering.

As an aside, I have to say...Deep Creep penetrating spray from Seafoam did a great job. Over 2/3rds were sucessfully removed intact.

But the extractors were a huge fail...both Irwin and Warrior brand. Not a single extraction...one extactor stripped and the other broke.

Is there a technique I'm failing to grasp?

I'm usually the one that breaks the bolt.

Then I fix it by yelling James! I need you to fix this thing somebody broke!

Easy peasey.

I dont think I have. I did break an extractor off today. After that there was no way I was going to try to drill though it.

The rest I just drilled out. They'd been in there holes for 26 years...steel self tapping screws in aluminum crossmembers...so I expected sheering.

As an aside, I have to say...Deep Creep penetrating spray from Seafoam did a great job. Over 2/3rds were sucessfully removed intact.

But the extractors were a huge fail...both Irwin and Warrior brand. Not a single extraction...one extactor stripped and the other broke.

theres several techniques depending on where the bolt is,,,

a screw extractor is usually the last option,,,

Huh?

Self tapping screws and bolts are not anything alike. And they are stuck in aluminum?

Regardless, I have had some success removing both by using a small chisel and center punch.

Thanks. I drilled most of them out. But breaking the extractor on the first attempt was frustrating.

Thanks. I drilled most of them out. But breaking the extractor on the first attempt was frustrating.
conditions have to be just right for extractors to work,,,

if its a through and through bolt the best option is to drill it out all the way starting with a small drill and working your way up,,just stay centered,,,

Huh?

Self tapping screws and bolts are not anything alike. And they are stuck in aluminum?

Regardless, I have had some success removing both by using a small chisel and center punch.

These self tapping screws aren't your garden variety. They are a lot more like bolts than screws...

The right one is sheered off...

20201010_225150.jpg

Huh?

These self tapping screws aren't your garden variety. They are a lot more like bolts than screws...

The right one is sheered off...

View attachment 400000
most times self tappers are hardened,,,
almost definitely when theyre that big,,,

if its a through and through bolt the best option is to drill it out all the way starting with a small drill and working your way up,,just stay centered,,,

That's what I ended up doing. Burned up a few drill bits along the way. I thought the extractor was going to make it an easy job. Guess I just didn't comprehend their limitations.

Last edited:
Heat is your friend in stuck bolt situations.
And most likely not what you think I mean.
The best way to remove a stubborn/rusted in bolt?
Spray a bit of penetrating oil on it and the next day you come in and weld a wrench point on the broke bolt.
The heat from welding is usually enough to get it to let go.

That's what I ended up doing. Burned up a few drill bits along the way. I thought the extractor was going to make it an easy job. Guess I just didn't comprehend their limitations.

Extractors for the most part are useless.
If I had to guess I'd say the success rate would be in the low end of 10%.

I worked my whole life in heavy industry and the very best penetrating oil I found for loosing stuck bolts and rust frozen metal parts is from a company called Kano which sells Silikroil penetrating oil.
Silikroil has silicone in it and penetrates down to one millionth of an inch.
There has been soo many times I couldn't break a part loose or free a stuck bolt and just sprayed it with Silikroil, took a 15 minute break, came back and the part or bolt easily broke free.
It's not sold in stores. But you can buy direct from the company and Amazon also sells cans of it. ... :cool:

I think the problem is the s.t. screws were 3/8ths steel in an aluminum trailer that has been subjected to road salt for a quarter century. I suspect electrolysis corrosion seized the screws and they just weren't letting go.
Aluminum is a soft metal that adheres to steel screws and bolts.
Same thing when taping holes in aluminum. Easy to bind up and break the tap off if you don't go slow and use the correct taping oil made for aluminum. ... :cool:

The best way to remove a stubborn/rusted in bolt?
Spray a bit of penetrating oil on it and the next day you come in and weld a wrench point on the broke bolt.
The heat from welding is usually enough to get it to let go.

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Forum List

Back