Have you noticed? Republicans have no ability to negotiate?

Reagan/Gorbachev. First ever "verifiable" arms control treaty between the two superpowers. Obama, on the other hand, guaranteed Iran nuclear weapons. Any more questions?

You must be a Republican. Your kind always takes everything out of context and pretends to turn piss into lemonade. And only the GOP base drinks the swill.

It was Reagan himself that expanded the arms race so much, that the public turned against him. He was pretty much forced by the America people to put a stop to an unsustainable arms race. I remember when it happened. It was all over the news.

LOOKING BACK: The Nuclear Arms Control Legacy of Ronald Reagan | Arms Control Association

Reagan’s first nuclear initiative, however, went in the opposite direction. In October 1981, he unveiled his plan for a major, strategic modernization program to add thousands of additional warheads and a variety of new delivery systems to the U.S. arsenal, while improving U.S. command and control capabilities. The strategic package, which in large part built on previous programs, called for a big increase in bomber forces, including 100 B-lBs and the development of stealth bombers, a new land-based 10-warhead strategic missile (the MX), and new intermediate-range missile deployments in Europe. In addition, he proposed deploying more than 3,000 air-launched cruise missiles on bombers. Reagan called for accelerated development and deployment of the Trident II D-5 submarine-launched ballistic missile and sea-launched cruise missiles.

The MX missile was among the most technically and politically controversial programs of the first years of the administration. The MX was more precise and more powerful but was considered by many to be a destabilizing first-strike weapon. Due to strong bipartisan opposition, the original plan to shuttle MX missiles on an extensive rail network in the western United States was scrapped. In November 1982, after considering more than 30 basing plans, the Reagan administration proposed deployment of 100 MX missiles in fixed silos.

The nuclear buildup also led to increased activity at more than a dozen major aging and unsafe nuclear-weapon production plants and called for continued nuclear testing. Under Reagan’s watch, spending on nuclear weapons research, development, testing, and production totaled $39.5 billion (in constant 1996 dollars), a 39 percent increase over the previous eight-year period.[1] The cost of environmental remediation at these sites now exceeds $6 billion annually.

The aims of the U.S. strategic buildup were twofold: to reduce U.S. vulnerability by expanding the number and diversity of nuclear weapons and to increase Soviet vulnerability so that the United States could acquire the capability to fight and win an extended nuclear war. The prospect of an arms race seemed less frightening to Reagan, who said in 1978 that “the Soviet Union cannot possibly match us in an arms race,” than to his predecessors. Continued Soviet missile programs and a skyrocketing U.S. budget deficit, however, called into question the validity of this judgment.

The proposed buildup was based on the controversial notion that U.S. nuclear superiority would provide greater military and political leverage vis-à-vis the Soviets. The Pentagon’s 1984-88 Defense Guidance document, which was leaked to reporters in 1982, stated that, in the event of nuclear war, “[t]he United States must prevail and be able to force the Soviet Union to seek earliest termination of hostilities on terms favorable to the United States.” To many observers, this statement appeared to reflect a belief that nuclear war could be won, a view that Reagan and his top aides had attributed to Soviet leaders. In public statements, Reagan denied he held this view and said, “Everybody would be a loser if there’s a nuclear war.”

Nevertheless, public concern about the possibility of nuclear war grew as the superpower relationship degenerated into exchanges of hostile rhetoric. An NBC/Associated Press public opinion survey in December 1981 found that 76 percent of Americans believed that nuclear war was “likely” within a few years, an increase from 57 percent just six months earlier. Many arms control advocates argued that Reagan was using dubious claims of Soviet superiority and resisting calls to re-engage the Soviets on strategic nuclear arms control talks in order to achieve U.S. nuclear strategic superiority. They said the effort would only backfire, spurring the arms race to new heights. Moreover, critics of the Reagan buildup feared that an effort to make Soviet forces vulnerable could increase Soviet incentives to launch a first strike in a crisis.

By early 1982, a broad-based citizens’ campaign had coalesced behind the idea of a verifiable, bilateral freeze on nuclear weapons development, deployment, and testing. That year, more than 200 city councils and nine state legislatures passed resolutions endorsing the freeze and, in November, voters in nine out of 10 states passed freeze referenda. Although it was sharply criticized by the White House, growing congressional and popular support for the freeze proposal helped put public pressure on the Reagan administration to initiate strategic arms talks with the Soviets.

Show me where Republicans have been successful at negotiating.

They blackmailed Obama into extending the Bush Tax cuts in the most despicable way possible.

Unemployment benefits: not until Bush tax cuts pass, Senate GOP says

The sequester.

They helped BP for no reason whatsoever.

Senate Republicans block BP investigation - Twin Cities Gas Prices

And when it comes to corporations, they are so terrified. Oh, they will leave and we will be left without jobs and become a destitute country.
Well, I have news. This country is stable and has a huge market. Corporations control so much because they control Republicans. If they want to leave, let them. You know they won't leave. Where would they set up? Cambodia? Spain? Brazil? And their asses would be cut off from selling in the US.

When Republicans are in charge, they are all to happy to invade another country. But never want to help this one. Never! And they continue to shovel the wealth of the nation to the top 1 percent.

That's because we found a long time ago, it doesn't pay to negotiate with evil. You just wind up with a slightly lesser evil, but evil none the less.
So you admit Republicans are evil. At least we can agree on that.

It was Reagan himself that expanded the arms race so much, that the public turned against him. He was pretty much forced by the America people to put a stop to an unsustainable arms race. I remember when it happened. It was all over the news.
The public never turned against Reagan. LOL The arms race was unsustainable alright, for the Soviets. All Reagan did was modernize and restore our military after 4 years of neglect from the idiot Jimmy Carter. The Soviets, in their paranoia and desperation to hold onto their advantage, spent themselves into bankruptcy and finally collapsed. I was around too, and your recollection is a reflection of the liberal propagandists who have been trying to rewrite history ever since Ronald Reagan humiliated them by showing the world what a REAL President is.

The public never turned against Reagan. LOL The arms race was unsustainable alright, for the Soviets. All Reagan did was modernize and restore our military after 4 years of neglect from the idiot Jimmy Carter. The Soviets, in their paranoia and desperation to hold onto their advantage, spent themselves into bankruptcy and finally collapsed. I was around too, and your recollection is a reflection of the liberal propagandists who have been trying to rewrite history ever since Ronald Reagan humiliated them by showing the world what a REAL President is.
he was a better man when he had alzheimers,,,,,,think he remembered guns for prisoners?

he was a better man when he had alzheimers,,,,,,think he remembered guns for prisoners?
Yeah, he was a better man than you even with Alzheimers. For that matter, even dead he's a better man than you. :lol:

Yeah, he was a better man than you even with Alzheimers. For that matter, even dead he's a better man than you. :lol:
dig the sob up put him in a chair and pubs will vote for him ......tripled our debt showed bush how ,,,gwb only doubled it

dig the sob up put him in a chair and pubs will vote for him ......tripled our debt showed bush how ,,,gwb only doubled it

Liberals and their revisionist history.....

They blackmailed Obama into extending the Bush Tax cuts in the most despicable way possible.

The sequester.

And when it comes to corporations, they are so terrified. Oh, they will leave and we will be left without jobs and become a destitute country.
Well, I have news. This country is stable and has a huge market. Corporations control so much because they control Republicans. If they want to leave, let them. You know they won't leave. Where would they set up? Cambodia? Spain? Brazil? And their asses would be cut off from selling in the US.

When Republicans are in charge, they are all to happy to invade another country. But never want to help this one. Never! And they continue to shovel the wealth of the nation to the top 1 percent.
Negotiating in Washington is much like rehab... It's for quitters

Reagan negotiated with Tip O'Neal. Clinton negotiated with Newt Gingrich. W. negotiated with Nancy Pelosi. The only President that has refused to negotiate in good faith with the opposition is one Barack Obama. He told GOP leaders a month into his first term that "elections have consequences...I won!"...essentially telling them to go fuck themselves! He then told the American people to go fuck themselves when they gave back the House and Senate to the Republicans in the 2010 midterms when he told us all that he had a phone and a pen and he was going to rule with Executive Orders!

Good idea. A corpse would make a better president than what we have now.

It was doubled and the Dims played a huge role. You sure do trip over your dick a lot.

It was doubled and the Dims played a huge role. You sure do trip over your dick a lot.
1 trillion to 2,9 trillion
So under Obama, the debt has increased 70 percent after nearly six years. But let’s look at what happened under Republican hero Ronald Reagan, using the fiscal year numbers in the White House’s historical budget tables.

Size of national debt when Reagan took office:$1 trillion
Size after six years:$2.3 trillion (130 percent increase)
Size at the end of his presidency: $2.9 trillion (190 percent increase)

In other words, when the numbers are placed in context, the national debt grew faster under Reagan than it has under Obama. But even he was a piker compared with wartime presidents such as Franklin D. Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson.

I've noticed Obama is a partisan piece of shit with no ability whatsoever to compromise. Same for that piece of garbage Harry Reid and that lying, racist old bag Nancy "Pass The Bill To See What's In It" Pelosi.

I've noticed Obama is a partisan piece of shit with no ability whatsoever to compromise. Same for that piece of garbage Harry Reid and that lying, racist old bag Nancy "Pass The Bill To See What's In It" Pelosi.
and all your pub pals are pussy cats ,,,,rather vile low life scum

The sequester.

I feel obliged to note that the Bush Tax Cuts were allowed to expire:

Bush tax cuts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The sequester.

That's because we found a long time ago, it doesn't pay to negotiate with evil. You just wind up with a slightly lesser evil, but evil none the less.
So you admit Republicans are evil. At least we can agree on that.

Ain't that just the cutest thing, the infantile regressive is trying to play the turnaround game. LMAO

The sequester.

Trump is the master of the deal....Haa!

Everyone has the ability to negotiate. The problem is that Republicans don't have the desire to negotiate. They are all partisanshap and are not interested in the best interests of the country as a whole. They hate Obama and they hate Democrats and that is all that matters to them.

Democrats are space cadets blowing in the breeze, bleeding heart hooligans run amok, high on Obamaism.......funny stuff. Republicans don't hate democrats.....Republicans police democratic fantasies before they run government right off the cliff. It's not hate....it's self-preservation and Nationalism, Baby...

Forum List

Back