Have You Bought Your Cowboy Gear Yet?

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
I grew up 150 miles North of Yellowstone Park. The only time I remember wearing a cowboy hat was at rodeos. Hardly anyone wears a cowboy hat in Montana. I also noticed hardly anyone wears a cowboy hat in Texas either. If you're riding a horse, unless you have a chin strap on, chances are you're going to lose that thing the first big cross-wind that comes up.

But people all over the country are starting to go cowboy crazy again and buying up all of the Western gear so they can look like the folks on the show "Yellowstone". (Remember the Urban Cowboy craze?) Being a cowboy isn't what people think. Riding a horse for long periods of time is really hard on more things than your backside. There's a reason why the women at country bars are usually more friendly than women at most urban nightclubs. The people there are more grounded and less swell-headed. I was in a Honky-tonk in Texas that had a dance-floor that reminded me of Daytona. Everyone just seemed to swing around in a circle like a racetrack.

vbcncvbn.gif
bcvbxcvbx.gif
43531cf30ba29a821b8f036ed700dcba.gif

Even though I was born and raised in Montana....I'm never going to say that I'm a cowboy....because even though I know how to ride I've never had to push cattle. I can't rope because I never bought a Lariat lasso. You need to practice to do that right.

cowboy_63_ap.gif

Yellowstone is a good show (at times not very realistic)....but it pisses me off a bit....because since the show started...property values in my home state have skyrocketed. I prefer 1883...which is a prequel to Yellowstone...and really gives you a better idea what it took to travel across the country and settle in the West. It also reminds me of why exactly the population in Montana never reached more than half a million. (It's going to be 1.2 million this year)

The Winters are cold.....and they chase away all of the folks from New York or California.

I remember the days when we didn't even have interstates or four-lane highways. I remember the Tee-Pees that were set up by the river in Lolo South of Missoula. They're nothing but a memory now.

59f9e62627b7c.image.jpg

I'm Texan............born and raised, and still live here.

Real Southern Cowboys wear cowboy hats. Real farmers wear caps. Livestock ranchers wear either/or.

You don't see them in the cities and towns much anymore, because they are too busy with having to deal with all this bullshit interfering with thier businesses. So you might see them out on the pastures if they are near the roads, but other than that, they stay mainly on their ranches/property.

The ones with the skin tight jeans, fancy boots, and super clean hats are Goatropers. A Goatroper is what we call a FAKE COWBOY. REAL Cowboys HATE Goatropers.

I was hoping I would be able to retire to Montana, but it's not gonna happen. Not unless I find some luck and win the big lottery, or find a huge bag of money.

I have a nice pair of cowboy boots I wear occasionally. My cowboy boots before that I wore on my Harley and wore them completely out. Now I remember, no harley, rarely wear cowboy boots.

property values in my home state have skyrocketed.
I think the property values sky-rocketed in the early 2000s. Mel Gibson bought a large ranch there and prompted somewhat of a rush. Disgruntled Californians ran up there and paid over asking price (which was still a deal compared to where they left) and the lucky locals that had purchased early cashed in. Now the young folks who were raised there have a difficult time affording the property on the local economies. Too bad. Even Kelly Clarkson has a place in a desirable part of MT. She should go back to TX.

I made the decision to retire to Kalispell in 2000. Five years later, I returned and discovered I had been priced out. I love the state and go there often, but sadly, I will never be able to call it home.
It's home to me, but I have no property there. Most of my relatives have moved or died...except my brother.
I remember when I was a kid I went ice-skating up in Kalispell after a football game.

It's home to me, but I have no property there. Most of my relatives have moved or died...except my brother.
I remember when I was a kid I went ice-skating up in Kalispell after a football game.
It is a beautiful place. But it has grown to the point that you wouldn't recognize it during the last 22 years. About the only place that I have heard that is still somewhat affordable is Bozeman and that is only the denuded areas that are wind-blown. Anyplace that is forested or protected is priced higher than I can afford.

I just wanted to retire up there so I could have a small piece of cheap land to live on, grow stuff I wanted, and be close to my friends in Canada, since they only live 30 miles on the other side of the border.
I did that in NE WA--for some of the same reasons, after being priced out of MT. I like ID too and should have searched more there as now I am subject to the same blue state bullshit that I was escaping. Happily, I live in the sticks in a red enclave and I can ignore a lot of it.

I'm Texan............born and raised, and still live here.

Real Southern Cowboys wear cowboy hats. Real farmers wear caps. Livestock ranchers wear either/or.

You don't see them in the cities and towns much anymore, because they are too busy with having to deal with all this bullshit interfering with thier businesses. So you might see them out on the pastures if they are near the roads, but other than that, they stay mainly on their ranches/property.

The ones with the skin tight jeans, fancy boots, and super clean hats are Goatropers. A Goatroper is what we call a FAKE COWBOY. REAL Cowboys HATE Goatropers.

I was hoping I would be able to retire to Montana, but it's not gonna happen. Not unless I find some luck and win the big lottery, or find a huge bag of money.
You have to wear a hat to keep the Sun off of your head...but most standard cowboy hats are just for show. They aren't functional.
I live in the South in TN now. Last time I went home I noticed how dry I got by 2pm in the heat of the day. Hydration is a big problem on the plains in Central and Eastern Montana around Roundup MT.

You have to wear a hat to keep the Sun off of your head...but most standard cowboy hats are just for show. They aren't functional.
I live in the South in TN now. Last time I went home I noticed how dry I got by 2pm in the heat of the day. Hydration is a big problem on the plains in Central and Eastern Montana around Roundup MT.

Here ya go................ :auiqs.jpg:

16f888a2-a294-4d7c-b898-e5c6be993f7a_1.e2b850619f232b0263354e3a99fc5555.jpeg

Forum List

Back