Have You Bought Your Cowboy Gear Yet?

Be sure and get your hat and boots now. Repubs claim Biden is out to ban cowboys. Probably right after they come to get your gas stove.

His minions in blue states are marching in lock step. If you were more informed, you would know that your buddy, Jay Inslee and his army of idiots already took yours away.

WASHINGTON STATE: Washington state lawmakers passed a law last year banning all natural gas appliances in new commercial construction projects and some residential buildings beginning this summer. The law applies to all buildings that will have four stories or more, echoing an initiative passed by the city of Seattle in 2021.

Recon Platoon, 2nd Bn 5th Cavalry, April '64-Sep '66. R. E. Lee's "Black Knights"

Did you serve with Colonel Kilgore?

Unknown.jpeg

I can make no claim to any form of genuine cowboyhood, but I do have a rather nice Stetson hat.

I was working at a thrift store, during the late stages of my recovery from a broken leg, before I was ready to return to real work, and this Stetson came though. Very much against my advice, they priced it at $4.99. I tried to tell them that, being a genuine Stetson, it was surely worth much more than that. But they insisted on pricing it that low, so I bought it. With my 30% discount for working there, it came to $3.49.

Stetson lists the same hat on its web site at $135. Mine's missing that little branding-iron decoration, but is otherwise in very good condition.

ZSC_2509SqN.jpg
ZSC_1503_4x5_1024x1280.jpg

Be sure and get your hat and boots now. Repubs claim Biden is out to ban cowboys. Probably right after they come to get your gas stove.

I met Montana Sen Max Baucus when I was working my paper route when I was a kid in Missoula.

Back then he was just a lawyer walking all over Montana meeting people. He was by himself wearing a pair of hiking shoes walking around the hillside neighborhoods above the valley.

But people all over the country are starting to go cowboy crazy again and buying up all of the Western gear so they can look like the folks on the show "Yellowstone".

There's one thing I can say about good "ranch gear" ...
There is a decent chance the Yellowstone Series will expire before I need to buy new stuff at the currently jacked up prices ... :auiqs.jpg:

It might be a bit faded by then ... But it'll wear.

There is a decent chance the Yellowstone Series will expire before I need to buy new stuff at the currently jacked up prices ... :auiqs.jpg:

I've been wearing the same style for my entire adult life--if I quit buying any at all, I will probably die before I wear half of it out.

Costner knows how to act like a cowboy....but we all know what he really is....

dfghdfhdfgh.jpg

His minions in blue states are marching in lock step. If you were more informed, you would know that your buddy, Jay Inslee and his army of idiots already took yours away.

WASHINGTON STATE: Washington state lawmakers passed a law last year banning all natural gas appliances in new commercial construction projects and some residential buildings beginning this summer. The law applies to all buildings that will have four stories or more, echoing an initiative passed by the city of Seattle in 2021.
That's new construction. When will they show up at your door to take your stove?

That's new construction. When will they show up at your door to take your stove?
Try to replace one that fails. They didn't actually ban gas cars either--just can't buy new ones after a particular date. Ask CA how they like not being able to replace their lawn mowers, weed eaters, chain saws and generators. LMAO, you're living in denial dude.

I had all of mine that I've collected over the years.....but the people in TN are so weird the only hat they like to wear is a ballcap. Long ZZTop beards and ballcaps.
I put on a cowboy hat and the people start rubber-necking and bumping into the freezer case.

I had all of mine that I've collected over the years.....but the people in TN are so weird the only hat they like to wear is a ballcap. Long ZZTop beards and ballcaps.
I put on a cowboy hat and the people start rubber-necking and bumping into the freezer case.

I actually kind of get the whole hat thing ... And around here there is still a decent mix between cowboy hats and caps.

It's really more about being serviceable and what you are going to do.
Horsemen tend to wear cowboy hats ... As well as Hispanics as a matter of fashion.

Cattle drivers most often use four wheelers or side by sides in the field or working fences ... And wear ball caps ...
Because, like you mentioned ... A cowboy hat will fly off ... Then you have to stop and go back and get it.
There are still some folks punching and rodeo ... But they dress for those jobs either way.

A cap is just a lot easier to manage ... Throw them in the truck ... Pile crap on top of them ... Stuff them in your pocket ... Doesn't matter if they get dirty or torn up ...
The cows and critters don't care ... In fact, the more character your cap has ... Someone may actually say something about it.
They might keep one crisp and nice on the dash ... In case they need to stop by their mama's house ... And haven't had a haircut in a month.

If you're not rodeoing ... Going to a bar with a western theme ... Going fishing ...
Or old enough to get caught drinking coffee and gossiping like a bunch of women ... At the diner or local quick stop ... That cowboy hat is staying home.

I'll wear a cowboy hat in the hard summer sun ... Lots of shade.
Wear and Australian style leather or suede bush hat in the winter or the rain ... Keeps the drips off my face and past the collar in the back.

All about "taking care of business" with me.

Last edited:

Oh ... And I should add ... The way young city folks wear their ball caps ... With that flat brim ... It makes folks around here laugh.
It's funny watching an old man ... Or working guy walking by someone wearing a ball cap like that.

They want to snatch it off their head and put a proper bend in that sucker ... So, it would have a chance of shading your eyes and make it worth something.
It's also a skill ... You can mess it up forever ... If you don't get it right ... Might well throw that cap away or only use it when changing the oil in your vehicle ...
And at that point ... It doesn't even matter if you use it to clean the dipstick.

I actually kind of get the whole hat thing ... And around here there is still a decent mix between cowboy hats and caps.

It's really more about being serviceable and what you are going to do.
Horsemen tend to wear cowboy hats ... As well as Hispanics as a matter of fashion.

Cattle drivers most often use four wheelers or side by sides in the field or working fences ... And wear ball caps ...
Because, like you mentioned ... A cowboy hat will fly off ... Then you have to stop and go back and get it.
There are still some folks punching and rodeo ... But they dress for those jobs either way.

A cap is just a lot easier to manage ... Throw them in the truck ... Pile crap on top of them ... Stuff them in your pocket ... Doesn't matter if they get dirty or torn up ...
The cows and critters don't care ... In fact, the more character your cap has ... Someone may actually say something about it.
They might keep one crisp and nice on the dash ... In case they need to stop by their mama's house ... And haven't had a haircut in a month.

If you're not rodeoing ... Going to a bar with a western theme ... Going fishing ...
Or old enough to get caught drinking coffee and gossiping like a bunch of women ... At the diner or local quick stop ... That cowboy hat is staying home.

I'll wear a cowboy hat in the hard summer sun ... Lots of shade.
Wear and Australian style leather or suede bush hat in the winter or the rain ... Keeps the drips off my face and past the collar in the back.

All about "taking care of business" with me.

I wear my straw hat when I mow the lawn. Too many surgeries for pre-cancerious skin conditions on my face and neck. I spent most of my childhood outdoors and spent too much time in the Sun in Africa and the Pacific, and working outdoors on rooftops for 18 years for the Dept of The Army.
Probably should have worn a Cowboy hat back then...but then A holes would have made fun of it.

too much time in the Sun in Africa and the Pacific

I am familiar with them both ... Mostly wore a floppy wide brim bush hat ... And lots of sunscreen if available ... :auiqs.jpg:

I also have spent a fair amount of time in the Caribbean ... Hats can come in handy ... Gotta take care of yourself.
I have a flimsy straw cowboy style hat that could dang sure tell some stories ... It's "been around the block" more than once or twice.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back